Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remains of ancient life found beneath Antarctic

Still Waters

Researchers say they have discovered the remains of ancient life, undisturbed for thousands of years, buried below the ice of an Antarctic lake.

According to a press release by scientific journal Nature, the Subglacial Antarctic Lakes Scientific Access (SALSA) mission discovered the remains of creatures in Antarctica’s subglacial Lake Mercer, a lake covered by a 1,067 metre thick sheet of ice.

SALSA scientists used a high-pressure hot-water drill to cut a small channel through the ice to the lake, which had lain undisturbed for thousands of years – until now only seen through ice-penetrating radar.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/remains-of-ancient-life-found-beneath-antarctic-ice-1.4259247

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00106-z

• Thanks 7

• The title was changed to Remains of ancient life found beneath Antarctic

So much still to learn about past life on our planet. 

Would be interesting to see if they can find out how long they were on this planet for, many creatures have become extinct on this fine planet, humans could also be on the cards, we need not even need to wipe ourselves out, nature could do that for us.

Figuring out when and where the creatures lived, and the type of environments they needed to survive would increase our understanding of how Antarctic’s glaciers moved, receded, and grew in cycles between ice ages, scientists say.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sci-tech/remains-of-ancient-life-found-beneath-antarctic-ice-1.4259247

• Like 5

If Adams could have examined more of the muck, he says, “it’s possible that you could still find things that are alive”.

It would be really amazing if they found something still alive down there.

• Like 4

Somebody get Kurt Russel on the phone, just in case ...

~

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Somebody get Kurt Russel on the phone, just in case ...

~

You called?

4b46f10245a26fcfac1c1ed16c6f9a94.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

You called?

I feels so much better already :yes:

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

I feels so much better already :yes:

~

Yep, Kurt has always had that 'thing' about him. :wub:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Yep, Kurt has always had that 'thing' about him. :wub:

Aye ... ever the charming rogue

~

[00001:08]

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Antarctica used to be a green continent covered in forests and life (which I'm sure I've read before, but I can't remember when or where so I'm sorry, but I can't provide references), it shouldn't be such a great surprise to find the remains of life in a subglacial lake. The lake may once have been dry land and the lake may have been formed by glacial motion.
Finding living organisms would be great, and if Kurt could be on standby to deal with anything untoward that would be super cool, especially if it was Kurt circa Stargate/Soldier!