Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump to make major announcement re shutdown

susieice

24 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

The Republicans didn't control the Senate. They lacked the 60 votes required to pass the funding bill for the wall. 

They were also offered 20 billion for the wall last year and Trump refused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Nope. More like Trump has been told that he cannot appear before Congress without an invitation and as a result he had been forced to back down.

Pelosi's never been more popular in the past 10 years. Standing up to a bully seems to have a positive effect on public opinion.

Trump is preparing to declare a national emergency now. Such a pressing emergency that he didn't bother to declare one for a full two years. Such an emergency that when his government controlled both the House and Senate and he could have had the funding, he didn't even seem to care about his border wall.

It is a shame when Trump is the adult in the room. Offering this and that, and Nancy just shouts "NO!", like a child.

Trump is only asking for part of the 5.7 million now. But Pelosi still says it is a non-starter. Because she's basically a spoiled child, and needs to have her own way. WHHHHAAAAHHH!!!!

I hope Trump does do the emergency and still doesn't open government. Let madam idiot soak in her no deal fit till her own party dethrones her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They were also offered 20 billion for the wall last year and Trump refused.

I tend to agree, he should have had the Republicans take that deal.

Then welch on the deal later, regarding DACA, like Democrats have done time and time again on other immigration reforms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

Off course its an emergency, his attempt to blame the Dems are not holding water and his popularity is falling. Be Fair EMM ;)

Hmmmm. The last I checked, Trump's "falling" popularity was that he's down around 3%, from his high at the end of the last year, with the margin of error being 2%. So, yeah, very convincing.... 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Hmmmm. The last I checked, Trump's "falling" popularity was that he's down around 3%, from his high at the end of the last year, with the margin of error being 2%. So, yeah, very convincing.... 

I read as much as 7 points.

48 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

It is a shame when Trump is the adult in the room. Offering this and that, and Nancy just shouts "NO!", like a child.

Trump is only asking for part of the 5.7 million now. But Pelosi still says it is a non-starter. Because she's basically a spoiled child, and needs to have her own way. WHHHHAAAAHHH!!!!

I hope Trump does do the emergency and still doesn't open government. Let madam idiot soak in her no deal fit till her own party dethrones her.

He hasn't offered anything that hasn't already been refused over the past year. Trump, to the vast majority of people watching this shitshow, is the one who's stomping his feet because he wants a cookie. I'd be embarrassed if I were a Republican. 

I've read that the party are together on this.

Trump is holding your government hostage to get what he wants. He's basically a terrorist at this point :D

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is why I don't understand the democrats fighting this wall issue tooth and nail.  

Deep down you know you do.  It is not really about border security.  Both sides could agree on that.  I am not the Democratic litmus test, but I am happy for some sort of barrier after the checkpoints are tightened. 

It is a power struggle between President Trump and his base and the opposition to President Trump.  Now a separation of powers has been thrown  in the mix.  The executive duking it out with the legislative.  I bet those who think the President should be able to steam roll the legislature now would not have been so vocal during Obama's presidency.   Checks are there for a reason.

• Like 3

Trump announces deal to lift shutdown 

President Donald Trump has endorsed a deal to reopen the US government for three weeks, after a record-breaking shutdown of federal agencies.

Congressional sources say the pact does notinclude any money that Mr Trump has demanded for a US-Mexico border wall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47007081

Well wasn't that all worth it... 

Guess you're not getting that wall anytime soon. 

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I read as much as 7 points.

He hasn't offered anything that hasn't already been refused over the past year. Trump, to the vast majority of people watching this shitshow, is the one who's stomping his feet because he wants a cookie. I'd be embarrassed if I were a Republican. 

I've read that the party are together on this.

Trump is holding your government hostage to get what he wants. He's basically a terrorist at this point :D

Madame Pelosi is every bit a foot stomper as Trump. Probably worse... "NO DEAL! NO DEAL!"

Pelosi is just as every bit to blame IMHO.

7 points? I'll check.

EDIT: Rasmussen says basically no change as of a day ago.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan25

Edited by DieChecker

6 hours ago, Setton said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47007081

Well wasn't that all worth it... 

Guess you're not getting that wall anytime soon. 

We'll find out within 3 weeks, or there will be another shutdown, and the Democrats will own that one.

7 hours ago, Setton said:

Except the nation doesn't want it... 

Like Obamacare?

9 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Madame Pelosi is every bit a foot stomper as Trump. Probably worse... "NO DEAL! NO DEAL!"

Pelosi is just as every bit to blame IMHO.

7 points? I'll check.

EDIT: Rasmussen says basically no change as of a day ago.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan25

I disagree.  She is not to blame.  You can't give in to someone saying "give me what I want, or I'll do something bad!"  Give him his money or he'll shut down the government?  That's not OK.  That's not how government works.  2 goddamn years with a Republican House and Senate...Democrats have the house for less than a month, and it's Nancy Pelosi's fault Trump doesn't have his wall?  You can take that mess somewhere else...only and idiot would buy that...too bad America is full of them, though.  Now, negotiating while the government is open?  Fine.  I don't even care if they give him some money for a wall.  But giving it to him to end the shutdown would only guarantee he shuts down the government in the future to get what he wants.  

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I disagree.  She is not to blame.  You can't give in to someone saying "give me what I want, or I'll do something bad!"  Give him his money or he'll shut down the government?  That's not OK.  That's not how government works.  2 goddamn years with a Republican House and Senate...Democrats have the house for less than a month, and it's Nancy Pelosi's fault Trump doesn't have his wall?  You can take that mess somewhere else...only and idiot would buy that...too bad America is full of them, though.  Now, negotiating while the government is open?  Fine.  I don't even care if they give him some money for a wall.  But giving it to him to end the shutdown would only guarantee he shuts down the government in the future to get what he wants.  

Similarly Didn't the Democrats previously offer even better then what Trump was now wanting? Was it not the Democrats who Demanded that the government reopen? Doing such was within their power. All they had to do was give Trump a token amount for his wall. But no...........

See? Spin works both ways. And what you just wrote was (like I also am doing, but at least admit) spinning the issue.

Uh.... yeah. Future shutdowns are going to happen when both sides decide to be jack fool stubborn. BOTH SIDES.

19 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Similarly Didn't the Democrats previously offer even better then what Trump was now wanting? Was it not the Democrats who Demanded that the government reopen? Doing such was within their power. All they had to do was give Trump a token amount for his wall. But no...........

See? Spin works both ways. And what you just wrote was (like I also am doing, but at least admit) spinning the issue.

Uh.... yeah. Future shutdowns are going to happen when both sides decide to be jack fool stubborn. BOTH SIDES.

No, it's not both sides.  Republicans, including Mitch McConnell admitted that they would vote to reopen the government IF TRUMP WOULD SIGN IT.  BOTH SIDES agreed to reopen the government, ONE MAN did not.  It's not both sides.  It is one person.  Period.  That is not spin.  That is fact.  There was one person, and one person only that refused to open the government unless he got what he wanted.  Sorry, but you might be OK with one man holding 800,000 employees hostage to get his way, but I'm not.  

How far down the rabbit hole do we have to go to where we are seriously talking about giving the highest elected official in the country what he wants to allow the government to operate before this is considered a dictatorship?

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2019 at 11:43 PM, DieChecker said:

Oh come on that is just not true. You make it sound like a wall with no gates, and machine guns every 20 feet.

What you're doing here is, "Don't like his politics so scream racist." He's no more racist then you are. He's explained his actions over and over, and it is very disingenuous to simply call bullshut without even considering what is said. 

Sure people do the same with Hillary Clinton, and so that makes saying stupid stuff for purely political reasons ok? 

He's not screaming racism, he's explaining stupidisms.

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

We'll find out within 3 weeks, or there will be another shutdown, and the Democrats will own that one.

Just like this one? Not likely

49 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

BSABSVR

9 hours ago, Setton said:

I dunno, the nation voted for the bad orange man who said stuff about walls.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Like Obamacare?

I so clearly remember so many on these threads telling me too bad, we won and the one person in particular scolding me with "Everybody chips in, PERIOD!". Thanks guys, I can't afford shlt anymore because of that stupid ass law. The wall can't hurt anyone. The ACA has kept me from saving anything in the best earning years of my life.

9 hours ago, Setton said:

Just cause people keep saying that doesn't make it true. At least half the country or more does want it. 

5 hours ago, skliss said:

Just cause people keep saying that doesn't make it true. At least half the country or more does want it. 

Except more than half the country didn't vote for the candidate offering it. More than half the cou try confirmed that again in November. And more than half the People’s representatives voted against it earlier this week. 

Exactly what are you basing this claim on? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Sorry, but you might be OK with one man holding 800,000 employees hostage to get his way, but I'm not.  

There are also approximately 1,000,000 contractors who were not being paid. That's a million people who, unlike government workers, won't have any backdated paychecks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Just like this one? Not likely

As long as grandma Pelosi lives up to what she's been saying, and deals in good faith, you are probably right.