Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cop who shot teen sixteen times gets 7yrs

Eldorado

The sentencing came a day after a different judge acquitted three officers accused of lying about the shooting to protect Van Dyke, who was probably the first Chicago officer ever found guilty in the shooting of an African-American. That verdict also disappointed many Chicagoans who hoped convictions would help eradicate a code-of-silence culture that dates back decades among officers in the nation's third-largest city.

Van Dyke, 40, was convicted of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery - one for each bullet fired at the 17-year-old McDonald.

Full report: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6609483/Black-teens-family-laments-sentence-given-white-officer.html

Ex-Chicago policeman Jason Van Dyke has been sentenced to six years and nine months in jail for the 2014 killing of black teenager Laquan McDonald.
At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46928035

Justice?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just reading up on the officers who lied to cover up the incident. I was surprised that they were acquitted, but on reading further, I can understand why given the available evidence. But still. As for the officer who was convicted of second degree murder, he was lucky to get the sentence he did. You just don't pump 16 bullets into someone who is walking away from you and expect to get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1