Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Activity in house

mamalama

We have lived in our current house for like seven years now. We’ve had a couple of random things happen over the years, but thought not that much about them, thinking maybe they could be somewhat explainable. Here in the last few weeks more has happened and my elderly mother saw a spirit of a man by her bed early yesterday morning. She said he was standing at the foot of her bed, and was wearing a pink shirt, and tan sports jacket, like a blazer. She said he had very thick eyebrows, and a full head of brown hair. She said the worst thing was the expression on his face because he was just frowning at her, and didn’t move. She woke up my step grandfather, and she was upset and panicky. But the man was gone, he didn’t see him. It took her a long while before she went back to sleep.  I asked her if she could move during this, and she said yes, because she immediately woke him up. Because I was wondering if she could have had sleep paralysis. 

Some of the previous things that happened over the years, was I have gotten tapped on my foot a couple of times when I was in bed. Things have disappeared, then we will search the whole house, and the thing will then be in open sight where we already looked. My mothers covers were pulled from her. My son has heard like someone having a conversation but sounded a little muffled. He also heard someone whistling in the last year. Which by the way my mother said after she finally fell back asleep after seeing the man, someone whistling woke her up again. My son has heard the whistling a few times before when he was home alone. He tried to record it with his phone, but it would stop before he could. So he decided to record himself whistling in the same manner, so he didn’t forget what it sounded like. He played it for my mother, and she said it was the same “tune” that she heard. 

A few weeks ago, me and my two daughters came home from the grocery, and they were ahead of me, near the front door and they both stopped, because they heard someone crying, a woman. It stopped before I got to the door. We were worried, because we thought maybe my mother was upstairs crying. My mother was already in bed, so we asked her if she had been crying, but it wasn’t her. She was not asleep yet either, so couldn’t have done it in her sleep. And my daughter said that honestly she didn’t think it was coming from upstairs in the house anyway, that it sounded like it was in the driveway, or right inside the house in hallway near the front door. 

So about 5 minutes later we found out we had left sodas in the van, so my younger daughter goes out to get them. She didn’t even get all the way to the van, until she runs back in house crying, hysterical and shaking all over. She said halfway to the van, someone pushed her in her back, like with their four fingers. There was no one around her. 

My youngest son has a lot of super hero collectibles, and they are constantly falling, but we just thought that was just nothing. But a lot of them have stands and seem pretty sturdy, but I always think that could be explainable. 

I had a lot of weird stuff happen to me as a kid, but not much after I moved out of my childhood home. My mother had weird things happen to her in the same house, but not so much after we moved from there. My oldest son had some things happen as a kid as well. 

So why would spirit activity, if that’s what it is, suddenly pick up and get worse after being in the same house for seven years. The only thing new that’s happened is, my oldest son’s fiancé moved in with us. My youngest son is going through puberty, and some of us have anxiety and depression. But other than that, nothing different has really happened. I’ve just been trying to think of what could cause new or stronger activity. Right now, I’m not really that scared, mainly because other than being tapped on the foot before, I haven’t really seen or heard anything. If I ever see the man my mom saw, I’ll probably be terrified. 

But I’d like opinions on why a spirit would suddenly make itself shown, or why the new things started happening. Is it okay to burn sage, or will that make things worse? I also thought about getting a spirit box, but my daughters thinks that is like “opening a door” and they don’t want to. Do you think it would make things worse? 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that some of these things can possibly be explained.

For example, things that happen while in bed could be a hypnopompic/hypnagogic hallucination.

The crying could have been an animal or perhaps neighbor or a T.V..

The whistle could have been an auditory hallucination or even a bird.

• Like 1

Well, I’m willing to accept the crying could have been a tv somewhere in the neighborhood that was really loud,  but the tv in our house wasn’t on. But definitely not an animal, my daughters explained it as someone devastatedly crying, with the deep breaths between sobbing and all. 

I know my mother wasn’t lying about seeing the man either, and I believe her. 

So im always looking for explanations as well, but things have been more weird lately. I don’t want to see any ghosts myself, because I know if I do, I will never be comfortable again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mamalama said:

Well, I’m willing to accept the crying could have been a tv somewhere in the neighborhood that was really loud,  but the tv in our house wasn’t on. But definitely not an animal, my daughters explained it as someone devastatedly crying, with the deep breaths between sobbing and all. 

So im always looking for explanations as well, but things have been more weird lately. I don’t want to see any ghosts myself, because I know if I do, I will never be comfortable again. 

I can definitely sympathize. Ive experienced a few of the things you describe here back in the early 90's during a pretty intense haunting. I even got a bit of a chill when you described your son hearing a conversation he couldn't make out. I heard several times what sounded like 50 people all whispering at the same time. I'd also hear what sounded like a women just laugh for a couple seconds in the middle of the whispering. Crazy days.

Other then forcefully telling whatever it is to get out, I wouldn't communicate with it at all. That never ends well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mamalama said:

Don't get too upset about seeing spirits,they're all around us mostly.You get used to them,sometimes they put the wind up you though.

8 hours ago, mamalama said:

But I’d like opinions on why a spirit would suddenly make itself shown

Its just because your mum is open to them as you were as a kid,but have probably put up a wall since.

@mamalama  I've no doubt your mother saw exactly what she said she did, but I highly doubt it was a ghost. Most everyone has, or will, experience hypnopompic hallucinations (hallucinations upon waking up) at some point in their lives. They seem incredibly real and it's often difficult to persuade the person otherwise.

Pretty much everything else you mentioned also has a practical explanation, including the voices and crying, as well as the missing and reappearing items. Anxiety and depression don't help the situation either, and it is not unusual for people experiencing either or both to see and hear things that aren't there. It's not necessarily a sign of mental illness, it's just that such states are conducive to all sorts of brain misfires. 

There is no reason for you or your family to start panicking over something that really isn't anything. So put the cognitive bias away, and relax. 

• Like 1