Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Londonderry car bomb explosion

31 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

A bomb has exploded inside a car outside the courthouse in Londonderry.

The explosion occurred in Bishop Street at about 20:15 GMT on Saturday, shortly after police received a warning.

Officers were on the scene when the blast occurred. No one is believed to have been injured.

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46934277

It is understood officers were only given a 15 minute warning to evacuate the area before the car bomb went off.

At the Belfast Telegraph: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/bishop-street-suspected-car-bomb-explodes-outside-londonderry-courthouse-37728591.html

  :(

Police in Derry believe the dissident republican group the New IRA was behind an explosion outside the city’s courthouse on Saturday night.

At the Irish Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/derry-car-bomb-new-ira-may-have-been-behind-attack-police-say-1.3764261

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

Bombs and killings have never gone away they just haven't been reported, you know why this one has been reported though don't you?

 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/1100-bombs-and-shootings-in-10-years-the-figures-that-prove-terrorism-hasnt-gone-away-34672253.html

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

Disgusting from the Irish. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

Brexit will just make things worse in Northern Ireland.  I live just outside Belfast.  Many places accept both Euros and pounds.  Bad thing is, many people associate themselves as Irish and not British (despite living in the UK)  They own Irish passports and accept payment in Euros.  They don't accept that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and long for the day when the island is united with the south.  Imagine all of those anti-British communities who will be forced to accept the British pound and have their local shops announce - "Sorry your money (Euro) is not accepted here any more."  The IRA will probably say the Good Friday agreement has been breached because of Brexit and that will result in a renewal of the troubles.  Let's hope it does not come to that.  Land is just mud under our feet.  Hard to imagine why anyone would want to fight over it, especially in this day and age.

 

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

It doesn't sound to me like a genuine attempt at a timely warning, like calling the PSNI (even on 101) would be.

"a warning was called into the Samaritans in the West Midlands. It was passed to West Midlands police, who contacted the Police Service of Northern Ireland."

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Brexit will just make things worse in Northern Ireland.  I live just outside Belfast.  Many places accept both Euros and pounds.  Bad thing is, many people associate themselves as Irish and not British (despite living in the UK)  They own Irish passports and accept payment in Euros.  They don't accept that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and long for the day when the island is united with the south.  Imagine all of those anti-British communities who will be forced to accept the British pound and have their local shops announce - "Sorry your money (Euro) is not accepted here any more."  The IRA will probably say the Good Friday agreement has been breached because of Brexit and that will result in a renewal of the troubles.  Let's hope it does not come to that.  Land is just mud under our feet.  Hard to imagine why anyone would want to fight over it, especially in this day and age.

 

Just what i thought that brexit would stirr up things :(

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Brexit will just make things worse in Northern Ireland.  I live just outside Belfast.  Many places accept both Euros and pounds.  Bad thing is, many people associate themselves as Irish and not British (despite living in the UK)  They own Irish passports and accept payment in Euros.  They don't accept that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and long for the day when the island is united with the south.  Imagine all of those anti-British communities who will be forced to accept the British pound and have their local shops announce - "Sorry your money (Euro) is not accepted here any more."  The IRA will probably say the Good Friday agreement has been breached because of Brexit and that will result in a renewal of the troubles.  Let's hope it does not come to that.  Land is just mud under our feet.  Hard to imagine why anyone would want to fight over it, especially in this day and age.

 

Ah yes the excuse for terrorism. Disgusting. 

Throw brexit into the mix. Tell me what was the excuse for the terrorism in the 70s 80s 90s, 00s. Long before brexit. It seems being EU members didn't stop the terrorism. 

The Irish govt officially ceeded the territory to the United Kingdom. 

The good friday agreement has go nothing to do with brexit. - Where in the good friday agreement does it say anything about free trade. 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Brexit will just make things worse in Northern Ireland.  I live just outside Belfast.  Many places accept both Euros and pounds.  Bad thing is, many people associate themselves as Irish and not British (despite living in the UK)  They own Irish passports and accept payment in Euros.  They don't accept that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and long for the day when the island is united with the south.  Imagine all of those anti-British communities who will be forced to accept the British pound and have their local shops announce - "Sorry your money (Euro) is not accepted here any more."  The IRA will probably say the Good Friday agreement has been breached because of Brexit and that will result in a renewal of the troubles.  Let's hope it does not come to that.  Land is just mud under our feet.  Hard to imagine why anyone would want to fight over it, especially in this day and age.

 

So NI needs another referendum on reunification.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
36 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Just what i thought that brexit would stirr up things :(

bull****, it's being used as an excuse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer

Brexit unleashed a british nationalism that has a damaging effect it alienates and invites confrontation, it's very plausable that it could provoke the IRA to break the good friday agreement. Thats why i made my comment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
13 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Brexit unleashed a british nationalism that has a damaging effect it alienates and invites confrontation, it's very plausable that it could provoke the IRA to break the good friday agreement. Thats why i made my comment.

Apparently the ones who blew up the car were the new IRA, or should that be the new, new IRA. Either way placed on the Govts terror list in 2012. Long before brexit. 

The GFA did not turn the Irish into fun loving hippies. The only reason the GFA happened was the IRA was infiltrated and knew the game was up. As I've pointed out to you. Being eu members didn't stop the terrorism in the 1970s through to 2001. So what was the excuse then you silly ****. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
29 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Brexit unleashed a british nationalism that has a damaging effect it alienates and invites confrontation, it's very plausable that it could provoke the IRA to break the good friday agreement. Thats why i made my comment.

Your attempt at trying to link this to Brexit is disgusting.

David Black (52) was shot dead as he drove to work in Co Armagh in 2012, while Adrian Ismay died 11 days after a bomb exploded under his van in Belfast in 2016.

The New IRA is also involved in paramilitary-style shootings and assaults. In 2016, Michael McGibbon (33) bled to death after he was shot in the leg three times by this group

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/derry-car-bomb-who-is-the-new-ira-group-suspected-of-attack-1.3764425

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Ah yes the excuse for terrorism. Disgusting. 

Throw brexit into the mix. Tell me what was the excuse for the terrorism in the 70s 80s 90s, 00s. Long before brexit. It seems being EU members didn't stop the terrorism. 

The Irish govt officially ceeded the territory to the United Kingdom. 

The good friday agreement has go nothing to do with brexit. - Where in the good friday agreement does it say anything about free trade. 

 

They took for granted when the peace deal was signed that the UK would remain part of the European Union.  The country is heavily integrated with the south so much that the border is practically non-existent.  For quite a few years Sinn Fein has had MEPs in the European parliament.  They certainly don't accept Brexit and anything that destabilises the peace in Northern Ireland is not good - hence Brexit is not good for Northern Ireland.

 

Martina Anderson (born in Derry/Londonderry) - Sinn Fein member in the EU parliament

 

Peace is such a fragile thing.  Brexit could easily be used as a propaganda tool for oppression against the people of Northern Ireland who consider themselves Irish and not British.  They don't even recognise their home as being inside the UK and soon they will be forced to.

 

You can see which side of the political spectrum they support by looking at various murals around the country.

 

flags1.png

 

 

Edited by Aaron2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
9 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

They took for granted when the peace deal was signed that the UK would remain part of the European Union.  The country is heavily integrated with the south so much that the border is practically non-existent.  For quite a few years Sinn Fein has had MEPs in the European parliament.  They certainly don't accept Brexit and anything that destabilises the peace in Northern Ireland is not good - hence Brexit is not good for Northern Ireland.

 

Martina Anderson (born in Derry/Londonderry) - Sinn Fein member in the EU parliament

 

 

The UK will uphold its side of the GFA. 

Ireland will have to seek permission from the EU to do the same. 

Easily solved as the border isn't a issue. The border today is a VAT & Exicse border, and Currency border. Brexit doesn't alter that fact. The free movement of Irish citizens including their rights, to live work, and vote in the UK. Agreed in 1922. is not altered. There is no requirement or mention of Free trade in the GFA. Where is the problem. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016
32 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The UK will uphold its side of the GFA. 

Ireland will have to seek permission from the EU to do the same. 

Easily solved as the border isn't a issue. The border today is a VAT & Exicse border, and Currency border. Brexit doesn't alter that fact. The free movement of Irish citizens including their rights, to live work, and vote in the UK. Agreed in 1922. is not altered. There is no requirement or mention of Free trade in the GFA. Where is the problem. 

 

I will let Tony Blair discuss the risks to the Good Friday agreement.

Skip to 9:02

 

 

 

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Ah yes the excuse for terrorism. Disgusting. 

Throw brexit into the mix. Tell me what was the excuse for the terrorism in the 70s 80s 90s, 00s. Long before brexit. It seems being EU members didn't stop the terrorism. 

The Irish govt officially ceeded the territory to the United Kingdom. 

The good friday agreement has go nothing to do with brexit. - Where in the good friday agreement does it say anything about free trade. 

 

It’s about free movement of people, trade across the border. It’s supposed to simulate no borders and a sense of one country. No excuse for any return to violence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
54 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The UK will uphold its side of the GFA. 

Ireland will have to seek permission from the EU to do the same. 

Easily solved as the border isn't a issue. The border today is a VAT & Exicse border, and Currency border. Brexit doesn't alter that fact. The free movement of Irish citizens including their rights, to live work, and vote in the UK. Agreed in 1922. is not altered. There is no requirement or mention of Free trade in the GFA. Where is the problem. 

Saying something is easily solved doesn’t make it so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Apparently the ones who blew up the car were the new IRA, or should that be the new, new IRA. Either way placed on the Govts terror list in 2012. Long before brexit. 

The GFA did not turn the Irish into fun loving hippies. The only reason the GFA happened was the IRA was infiltrated and knew the game was up. As I've pointed out to you. Being eu members didn't stop the terrorism in the 1970s through to 2001. So what was the excuse then you silly ****. 

I bet you are one of those guys who suddenly pops up behind your "neighbours" hedge when he is having a bbq saying "if i were you i would wait to put the meat on the grill" im mr burns on angusroad two blocks from you.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
11 hours ago, Impedancer said:

Brexit unleashed a british nationalism 

1

No, it hasn't. You don't know what you are talking about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
38 minutes ago, seanjo said:

No, it hasn't. You don't know what you are talking about.

I could be wrong i could be right...

Edited by Impedancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

It’s about free movement of people, trade across the border. It’s supposed to simulate no borders and a sense of one country. No excuse for any return to violence.

oh well, if its about free movement of people then problem solved. As i keep pointing out the Irish will still have the right to live, work, claim benefits and vote in the UK. something agreed in 1922. between the UK and Irish Govts that is not changing.

the GFA makes no mention of Free trade and not part of any agreement.

There is a border at the moment, in the form of a different Tax regime, VAT & Excise, and Currency, after Brexit it will be exactly the same.

All done without border check points.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016
6 hours ago, stevewinn said:

oh well, if its about free movement of people then problem solved. As i keep pointing out the Irish will still have the right to live, work, claim benefits and vote in the UK. something agreed in 1922. between the UK and Irish Govts that is not changing.

the GFA makes no mention of Free trade and not part of any agreement.

There is a border at the moment, in the form of a different Tax regime, VAT & Excise, and Currency, after Brexit it will be exactly the same.

All done without border check points.

 

 

 

It's the principal of national identity that is the problem.  A large percentage of the people here do not recognize that Northern Ireland is part of the UK (similar to palestinians who do not recognize Israel).  To the many Irish here, being called British is a deep insult and they refuse to accept that their futures are being decided by a British government to pull them out of the EU and out of shared investments with the south.  They feel that Britain is using Brexit to hold a tighter grip on the country.  They want to distance themselves from the British and support parties like Sinn Fein who want a united Ireland, and Brexit will force them all to accept the reality that they are part of the United Kingdom under British rule and authority.

 

The country is deeply divided.  Peace is such a fragile thing.

 

mapni2.png

 

mapni.png

 

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
56 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

It's the principal of national identity that is the problem.  A large percentage of the people here do not recognize that Northern Ireland is part of the UK (similar to palestinians who do not recognize Israel).  To the many Irish here, being called British is a deep insult and they refuse to accept that their futures are being decided by a British government to pull them out of the EU and out of shared investments with the south.  They feel that Britain is using Brexit to hold a tighter grip on the country.  They want to distance themselves from the British and support parties like Sinn Fein who want a united Ireland, and Brexit will force them all to accept the reality that they are part of the United Kingdom under British rule and authority.

 

The country is deeply divided.  Peace is such a fragile thing.

 

mapni2.png

 

mapni.png

 

Northern Ireland haven't raised any objection to remaining part of the United Kingdom and there is no prospect of that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

It's the principal of national identity that is the problem.  A large percentage of the people here do not recognize that Northern Ireland is part of the UK (similar to palestinians who do not recognize Israel).  To the many Irish here, being called British is a deep insult and they refuse to accept that their futures are being decided by a British government to pull them out of the EU and out of shared investments with the south.  They feel that Britain is using Brexit to hold a tighter grip on the country.  They want to distance themselves from the British and support parties like Sinn Fein who want a united Ireland, and Brexit will force them all to accept the reality that they are part of the United Kingdom under British rule and authority.

 

The country is deeply divided.  Peace is such a fragile thing.

 

mapni2.png

 

mapni.png

 

Looks like we need to transplant across some more English families lol.

Supress the rebels!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
On 21/01/2019 at 9:30 PM, Impedancer said:

Nationalism is growing stronger in Europe and i  believe  brits voted yes to brexit because they thought it would solve their problem with immigrants

Wrong again. That is the story put out there by remoaners. The truth is Brits voted out because they can see the direction the EU is going, I.e. a federal union or united states of europe run by Berlin, where sovereign countries can be overruled and sidelined.

I guarantee you that if the people all over europe were given the chance tomorrow to leave, we wouldn't be the only ones leaving.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.