Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans Push For Congressional Term Limit

Aquila King

This is one of those rare times I actually end up fully agreeing with Republicans on something.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Francis Rooney (R-Fla.) this week introduced an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms. Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), David Perdue (R-Ga.), and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) joined Sen. Cruz in co-sponsoring this amendment.

The full amendment may be viewed here.

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=4250

• Like 5

Term limits should've been in the Constitution from day one. 

This will have the lifespan of a snowball in Hades.

• Like 1

Term limits and campaign finance reform may make representatives more responsive to their constituents.  A cynic would add. until they find the loopholes.

• Like 2

The dems were against line item veto and I am sure they won't back term limits either.

Term limits gets rid of the "slick Willies" of congress. So now what, you going to ask slick Willie to vote on his own dismissal?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Term limits gets rid of the "slick Willies" of congress. So now what, you going to ask slick Willie to vote on his own dismissal?

Nope, not  a chance Earl.  We are going to keep electing newbies every cycle.  If they don't get the message that we sent them in to clean house, we elect somebody new next time. 

• Thanks 1

I'm for them as long as they are long enough to actually accomplish a goal in such a slow moving town. And I don't want to pay for health care and retirement for 84,000 2 year term Congress people for the rest of their natural life. In fact, I think if any of them have access to other professions after their terms, doctor, lawyer, spokesperson, etc that include healthcare and retirement then they should be required to opt out of their govt versions.

• Like 2

I definitely agree.  They should also enforce it retroactively so all new elections force out anyone over the limit.  There will just need to be some kind of advisor position so the new blood will actually be taught how to run the government.  No more than a few months though.

56 minutes ago, skliss said:

I'm for them as long as they are long enough to actually accomplish a goal in such a slow moving town. And I don't want to pay for health care and retirement for 84,000 2 year term Congress people for the rest of their natural life. In fact, I think if any of them have access to other professions after their terms, doctor, lawyer, spokesperson, etc that include healthcare and retirement then they should be required to opt out of their govt versions.

They definitely need to make changes so they don't get a retirement package that they didn't pay into like the rest of us.  No more career politicians.

• Like 2

In theory, term limits sound like a solution but I don't believe they would be at all.  All it would accomplish is to strengthen the bureaucrats that are protected under the Civil Service laws.  THEY would become the powerbrokers.  Look at all the leaking and attempted sabotage of Trump's administration.  That wasn't nearly all Congress critters.  Money buys policy these days and the only way to stop that is to create a law that would deny ANY cash or favors from any outside entity.  Then to go after anyone who skirts that law and do it with a vengeance.  Again, not going to happen.  We can now see them for what they are and they know we can but they still act as though it doesn't matter.  Care to guess why?  They don't believe the people have the spine to break up the party.  They think we're too cowed by laws and rules that they make.   Take away the people's voice and influence and they'll eventually find another means of expressing it.  

3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

This is one of those rare times I actually end up fully agreeing with Republicans on something.

Because they know whats coming in 2020. What would you wager that the next time Republicans are in power, they push to remove those same term limits. How bout term limits for SCOTUS? I agree with your sentiment, but I wouldnt trust Grampa Munsters altruistic leanings as his history shows a distinct lack of same. JMO

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Because they know whats coming in 2020. What would you wager that the next time Republicans are in power, they push to remove those same term limits. How bout term limits for SCOTUS? I agree with your sentiment, but I wouldnt trust Grampa Munsters altruistic leanings as his history shows a distinct lack of same. JMO

I don't doubt they're doing it for selfish partisan reasons. Though I still agree with the position on principle.

Besides, what they're pushing for is a new constitutional amendment requiring congressional term limits. That isn't so easily abolished.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I don't doubt they're doing it for selfish partisan reasons. Though I still agree with the position on principle.

Besides, what they're pushing for is a new constitutional amendment requiring congressional term limits. That isn't so easily abolished.

If it was anyone other than Ted Cruz. But you are right. I'm being partisanally (new word:P) biased. I just cant help being suspicious when it comes from Rafe. Can a hyena change it's spots? I guess we'll see. I will try to think positive.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

If it was anyone other than Ted Cruz. But you are right. I'm being partisanally (new word:P) biased. I just cant help being suspicious when it comes from Rafe. Can a hyena change it's spots? I guess we'll see. I will try to think positive.

Hey man, I was hella surprised learning Cruz was behind this. :blink: I mean I genuinely don't think I've ever even remotely agreed with that weasel on anything. But you know what they say about broken clocks and all...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Hey man, I was hella surprised learning Cruz was behind this. :blink: I mean I genuinely don't think I've ever even remotely agreed with that weasel on anything. But you know what they say about broken clocks and all...

When I read your link, I was reminded of times I've said to the wife, close your eyes and open your hand, I've got a big surprise. Know what lesson I learned? A baby snake in the hand is worth a cast iron frying pan to the head followed by a rat trap to the toes when you stumble backwards. Now it nice safe trinkets for her. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 2

This makes too much sence...never gonna happen!

The old school thieves on both sides aren't going too give up all their sweet freebies all bought and paid for with other peoples money.

Hell Mcain couldn't pry himself away from power on his death tour :wacko:

Any time one of these power freaks gets way beyond the point of their capabilities to function properly and winds up in the hospital,well next thing we hear is "how amazingly they popped back",and "They are more vibrant and youthful than they've been in years" :blink:

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 2:34 PM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Term limits should've been in the Constitution from day one. 

They were. A Representative serves a 2 year term. A Senator serves a 6 year term. Neither is elected for life. It is up to us, the people, to vote in a different congressperson if we don't like the one we have.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, F3SS said:

Besides congress, as I'm sure they will, is anybody here opposed to term limits? 

I'd probably go with 3 terms as Senator and 5 or 6 as a Representative. Limiting the Representatives too much will hamstring lots of the oversight that Congress has. Putting green Reps/Sens in every time will just play into the hands of the entrenched beurocracy. 

49 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I'd probably go with 3 terms as Senator and 5 or 6 as a Representative. Limiting the Representatives too much will hamstring lots of the oversight that Congress has. Putting green Reps/Sens in every time will just play into the hands of the entrenched beurocracy. 

Why not have 12 years for each. Maybe change Reps or both to 4 year appointments while you're at it? Though there's probably a reason for such weird term lengths that I'm not aware of.

11 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Why not have 12 years for each. Maybe change Reps or both to 4 year appointments while you're at it? Though there's probably a reason for such weird term lengths that I'm not aware of.

I'd probably vote for that. 12 years each, that is. Would help drain the Swamp on both sides of the Fence.

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I'd probably vote for that. 12 years each, that is. Would help drain the Swamp on both sides of the Fence.

What about changing the length between elections? Why is it 6 years and two years anyway

And would a maxed out Senator then be able to run for the House and vice versa? 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, Aquila King said:

Yeah im all for term limits but would definitely need to see the fine print before suggesting I could support anything that slimeball is pushing.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, CrimsonKing said:

Any time one of these power freaks gets way beyond the point of their capabilities to function properly and winds up in the hospital,well next thing we hear is "how amazingly they popped back",and "They are more vibrant and youthful than they've been in years" :blink:

Get ready for 11 more months of stories like that about RBG. They just have to maintain the appearance of life until January 2020

I think they should probably add term limits to the SCOTUS as well.