Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question for jehovah's witness

ghost kid

In  Isaiah 38:17 why does the author fear what they call the pit of destruction?Because the only destruction that happens in the pit is the destruction of your body. 

• Confused 1

Why is this a question for JW's?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

He must think this is a religious hotspot of some kind.

17 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I'm not even religious.  However, I don't care for one person or group to be singled out for a wringing out.  Might be the OP is an ex of such religion?

I Absolutely concur with and second the WHY JW's? question.

Quite sure there are numerous sources all over this rock to pose such a directed question.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

He must think this is a religious hotspot of some kind.

The OP quoted a passage from the bible (which version, we haven't a clue). It's not as if the book of Isaiah is a particular book limited to JW's.

I mean, I could understand if the OP quoted the Book of Mormon and directed the question to Mormons, but this has me confuzzled.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't believe in hell. This puzzles me also.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ghost kid said:

I thought this forum was a question and answer board for different religions.Sorry about that.

I guess what it is ...we don't understand the question. Witnesses don't believe in hell. They believe unless you are one of the 144,000, you are resurrected to a new, perfect Earth. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ghost kid said:

I thought this forum was a question and answer board for different religions.Sorry about that.

No problem. Now you know better.

We solve mysteries here. Not so much religious interpretations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ghost kid said:

In  Isaiah 38:17 why does the author fear what they call the pit of destruction?Because the only destruction that happens in the pit is the destruction of your body. 

I'll preface this by stating that I am not a Jehovah's Witness, nor am I religious in any way, so my knowledge is quite limited. But I looked Isaiah 38:17 up and my take on it is that the pit of destruction/corruption is more symbolic than literal. It is not the body Christ rescues, but the soul.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

I have friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't believe in hell. This puzzles me also.

The pit doesn't represent hell. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The pit doesn't represent hell. 

I think the question was directed to Jehovah's Witnesses because they believe when you die, you will either be resurrected to a perfect Earth or cease to exist at all. You are sleeping ( nothing) when you die and simply will stay that way.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As soon as anyone quotes the Bible, they lose me.

It's easy to pick an isolated verse or two, but they never mention all the anti-homosexual verses, or the ones that tell you what to do with a "slovenly woman".

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ghost kid said:

No need to apologize, this is a forum for questions.

However, you may need to expand on what you mean.

And as a friendly FYI, if you are going to quote a passage, you may want to actually post the passage in question. ;)

Welcome to UM, DO NOT feed the trolls! Troll extermination throws the budget right out the window.

Plus, the smell...

• Like 4

Yes I've JW friends in the past and I was just going to say you've a keen memory SusieICE... regarding::: 

they believe when you die, you will either be resurrected to a perfect Earth or cease to exist at all.

haha! the smell, nice touch and tact. Edited by MWoo7

Isaiah 38:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

This is the passage in my first post.Sorry i didn't post it in my first post.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

I think the question was directed to Jehovah's Witnesses because they believe when you die, you will either be resurrected to a perfect Earth or cease to exist at all. You are sleeping when you die and simply will stay that way.

Is it Jehova's Witnesses who believe that just as the body is not alive without the soul, the soul cannot live on its own without a body? Hence their concern perhaps with the destruction of their bodies, although I don't think, as mentioned earlier, that Isaiah 38:17 is literally about the destruction of bodies. The pit is not a grave or pit in the literal sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Is it Jehova's Witnesses who believe that just as the body is not alive without the soul, the soul cannot live on its own without a body? Hence their concern perhaps with the destruction of their bodies, although I don't think, as mentioned earlier, that Isaiah 38:17 is literally about the destruction of bodies. The pit is not a grave or pit in the literal sense.

Their belief isn't that a soul survives. You are simply nothing unless you are resurrected. You don't exist at all. That's why I thought maybe the OP referred to JWs. Hell is the grave to them. Non-existence. I guess it could be translated as a pit where the body is destroyed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, susieice said:

[...] Jehovah's Witnesses [...]  believe when you die, you will either be resurrected to a perfect Earth or cease to exist at all. You are sleeping ( nothing) when you die and simply will stay that way.

That actually makes sense in the simulation "hypothesis", where we are just data. Data that "they" can choose to "save" or not.

• Like 1

My friends are good people and they don't really preach to me, but they have told me things about their religion. I'll never forget "Hell is the grave" because that's a big part of it. You go to your grave as nothing and unless you are resurrected to the New Earth, you will simply stay that way. Only the chosen 144,000 will go to Heaven. No one will burn in Hell.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

My friends are good people and they don't really preach to me, but they have told me things about their religion. I'll never forget "Hell is the grave" because that's a big part of it. You go to your grave as nothing and unless you are resurrected to the New Earth, you will simply stay that way. Only the chosen 144,000 will go to Heaven.

The Christian Heaven is to be in a golden city, close to God, where you can spend eternity worshiping him.

To me that sounds like Hell. Spending eternity worshiping some douchebag.

If God has even half a wit, he'd object to that too.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

The Christian Heaven is to be in a golden city, close to God, where you can spend eternity worshiping him.

You see, I always wondered about this. why would such a supposedly perfect being demand such worship? 

How damaged is god's ego that he would need to be surrounded by millions of adoring fans who have no mind of their own?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am not a JW but am a Christian.   I always thought that the pit referred to in this verse was the grave, where it is cold, dark and lonely and one is separated from God.  When one accepts Christ they are no longer separate from God, but He, much like a loving father, embraces them and fills their lives with love.   

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, susieice said:

My friends are good people and they don't really preach to me, but they have told me things about their religion. I'll never forget "Hell is the grave" because that's a big part of it. You go to your grave as nothing and unless you are resurrected to the New Earth, you will simply stay that way. Only the chosen 144,000 will go to Heaven. No one will burn in Hell.

They believe the same thing as the Jews. Sheol, the common grave where your soul eventually fades away.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, tcgram said:

When one accepts Christ they are no longer separate from God, but He, much like a loving father, embraces them and fills their lives with love.

I see your point. But it gets boring. Quite fast.

• Like 2