Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question for jehovah's witness

ghost kid

1 hour ago, acute said:

the ones that tell you what to do with a "slovenly woman".

:unsure2: It's probably not what I do with em..........

2 hours ago, acute said:

As soon as anyone quotes the Bible, they lose me.

It's easy to pick an isolated verse or two, but they never mention all the anti-homosexual verses, or the ones that tell you what to do with a "slovenly woman".

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Ezekiel 23:20?

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, susieice said:

You go to your grave as nothing and unless you are resurrected to the New Earth, you will simply stay that way. Only the chosen 144,000 will go to Heaven.

Sounds amazing. I'll have to make sure im not part of that 144000

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Sounds amazing. I'll have to make sure in  ot part of that 144000

Given my ruthers, if they are right, I'd rather stay here. It will be like Eden again you know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Given my ruthers, if they are right, I'd rather stay here. It will be like Eden again you know.

Typo in my post. I meant that the grave sounds preferable to heaven

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Typo in my post. I meant that the grave sounds preferable to heaven

Ok. 

34 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

Well, now that's probably not something one hears on Sunday, I'll have to inquire why-- that was a joke.

Thanks for the the rawness Immaginarynumber1 no pun intended if there is any of the sort.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

Their belief isn't that a soul survives. You are simply nothing unless you are resurrected. You don't exist at all. That's why I thought maybe the OP referred to JWs. Hell is the grave to them. Non-existence. I guess it could be translated as a pit where the body is destroyed.

This verse form part of a King Hezekiah's hymn praising God for saving mortal illness.

His sins have been forgiven and he's been saved from the grave.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/study-bible/books/isaiah/38/#v23038004

Your guess seems pretty plausible to me,

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Ah yes, one of the classics!

I also like the one where, if your wife tries to stop you fighting another man, you can chop her hand off. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Ah yes, one of the classics!

I also like the one where, if your wife tries to stop you fighting another man, you can chop her hand off. :)

I thought that was only if she grabbed your opponents naughty bits?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I thought that was only if she grabbed your opponents naughty bits?

Whatever it is, it's the Word of God. :tu:

11 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I kind of feel like buying an F350

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So ... when is the fire and brimstone parts coming on ?

~

• Haha 2

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It truly is the Holy ****ing Bible!

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2019 at 9:15 AM, susieice said:

I think the question was directed to Jehovah's Witnesses because they believe when you die, you will either be resurrected to a perfect Earth or cease to exist at all. You are sleeping ( nothing) when you die and simply will stay that way.

Lots of christian faiths believe that.  It is, after all, what the bible actually says will happen, rather than the catholic construction of hell and purgatory 

ie basically, at death, your body goes to the grave or the burning pits where bodies were burned ( sheol/ghenna)  and your soul goes to sleep There are two separate resurrection days, one for the saved and one for the lost. 

The lost are burned in the lake of fire, after resurrection. This is called the second death, and is a permanent  death of body and soul.

The saved are placed on the edenic- like new earth, and live for ever, without death, pain, or suffering.  (there is a more complicated bit in the middle period but, in the end, it is not significant) 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 11:52 AM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

That is an allegorical reference to two sinful cities, and so, not as juicy as it sounds  :)   

In the Hebrew Bible, Oholah (אהלה) and Oholibah (אהליבה) (or: Aholah and Aholibah) are pejorative personifications given by the prophet Ezekiel to the cities of Samaria in the Kingdom of Israel and Jerusalem in the kingdom of Judah, respectively. They appear in the Book of Ezekiel, chapter 23.

There is a pun in these names in the Hebrew. Oholah means "her tent", and Oholibah means "my tent is in her".[1]

The Hebrew prophets frequently compared the sin of idolatry to the sin of adultery, in a reappearing rhetorical figure.[2]:317 Ezekiel's rhetoric directed against these two allegorical figures depicts them as lusting after Egyptian men in explicitly sexual terms in Ezekiel 23:20–21:[3]:18

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oholah_and_Oholibah

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Lots of christian faiths believe that.  It is, after all, what the bible actually says will happen, rather than the catholic construction of hell and purgatory 

ie basically, at death, your body goes to the grave or the burning pits where bodies were burned ( sheol/ghenna)  and your soul goes to sleep There are two separate resurrection days, one for the saved and one for the lost. 

The lost are burned in the lake of fire, after resurrection. This is called the second death, and is a permanent  death of body and soul.

The saved are placed on the edenic- like new earth, and live for ever, without death, pain, or suffering.  (there is a more complicated bit in the middle period but, in the end, it is not significant) 

When I was younger most religions I encountered were very much hellfire and brimstone for eternity. If you ask people what hell is, this is the response you will most likely get. It was taught by the old orthodox religions.

7 hours ago, susieice said:

When I was younger most religions I encountered were very much hellfire and brimstone for eternity. If you ask people what hell is, this is the response you will most likely get. It was taught by the old orthodox religions.

Yes Catholicism adopted it .Maybe as a genuine misinterpretation of the bible or maybe to scare more people into converting,  because Catholicism also promised it alone could save you from this fate.

Some of the early protestant churches just followed the catholic theology, without excesses like selling indulgences, while others looked a t the bible more carefully.

Then, in the different "Great Revival" movements of the 17 and 1800s , many people began studying the bible to see what it actually said, and built religions around the words of the bible