Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy bitten by dingo on Fraser Island

Eldorado

"A young boy has been attacked by a group of dingoes on Australia's popular tourist spot of Fraser Island.

One of the wild dogs bit the six-year old at a beach after he'd been swimming with his parents.

He was airlifted to a nearby hospital and is in a stable condition."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-46942282

"A six-year-old child is in hospital after being bitten multiple times by a dingo on Fraser Island on Saturday evening."

At theABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-19/dingo-bites-child-on-fraser-island/10729680

There's a photo at the above ABC link showing a pack of dogs strolling along the beach.

:(

Hope you get better soon, son!

• Sad 4

So lucky that just one and not the entire pack attacked him. Hope the trauma was offset a little by the ride in a helicopter.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

So lucky that just one and not the entire pack attacked him. Hope the trauma was offset a little by the ride in a helicopter.

The six-year-old boy remains in hospital and is not expected to be released for several more days. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-21/fraser-island-patrols-stepped-up-in-wake-of-dingo-attack-on-boy/10730472

It looks like it was more than just a nip. :(

• Sad 2

With all the teaching that dog are always gentle and best friend,kids have no fear of them at all. My boy just go to any dog he see to cuddle him. What could go wrong...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The six-year-old boy remains in hospital and is not expected to be released for several more days. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-21/fraser-island-patrols-stepped-up-in-wake-of-dingo-attack-on-boy/10730472

It looks like it was more than just a nip. :(

Thanks for the additional information. I figured it had to be fairly serious as he was airlifted to hospital, It must have been extremely traumatic for him, and painful. Wish it hadn't happened, but glad his injuries weren't life threatening.

This is a direct result of d******* campers who ignore the very clear instructions about dingos feeding the bloody things in order to photograph them. More and more dingos are losing their natural fear of humans and associating them with food. When they don’t get food, they get aggressive. And so this poor kid suffers because other people are d********s.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The dingos on Fraser Island are meant to be the only pure dingos left as they are isolated from feral dogs on the mainland.They are very wild animals,with pups this time of year the older dogs are teaching to hunt.A six year old kid equals an easy kill and meal for the pack.People need to watch their kids and even adults have been taken at times.Its not safe if your alone on Fraser.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, openozy said:

The dingos on Fraser Island are meant to be the only pure dingos left as they are isolated from feral dogs on the mainland.They are very wild animals,with pups this time of year the older dogs are teaching to hunt.A six year old kid equals an easy kill and meal for the pack.People need to watch their kids and even adults have been taken at times.Its not safe if your alone on Fraser.

Dingos have been a problem there going way, way , back. I'm told a lot of people have abandoned camping trips there nowadays, especially families with kids. I was talking today to people who'd been up there camping this month, and they reported the dogs very persistent, which is an obvious sign they expect to be fed. Spoils the trip, I wouldn't bother these days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Habitat said:

Dingos have been a problem there going way, way , back. I'm told a lot of people have abandoned camping trips there nowadays, especially families with kids. I was talking today to people who'd been up there camping this month, and they reported the dogs very persistent, which is an obvious sign they expect to be fed. Spoils the trip, I wouldn't bother these days.

As they are not really native animals I think they need to remove them from Frazer Island,With limited area and natural food its only going to get worse.If they were a last remaining population of thylacines I'd say they should ban the public from going there.In reality they are just camp dogs that went feral over thousands of years even though they seem to have a niche in the oz landscape now.

• Like 1