Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Arrow rocket returns to UK after 48 yrs

Still Waters

The UK's only rocket to successfully launch a satellite into orbit is to be unveiled in Scotland after a 10,000-mile journey back home.

The Black Arrow projectile had lain at its crash landing site in the South Australian outback for 48 years.

Over time it was damaged by extreme weather and vandalism before space technology firm Skyrora stepped in.

The historic rocket is set to go on display in Penicuik, Midlothian, later this month.

Daniel Smith, director at Skyrora, said: "This is quite feasibly the most important artefact linked to the UK's space history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46938858

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/1434772-black-arrow-rocket-set-to-land-in-scotland-after-48-years/

• Like 2

Wow.. I've never heard of Skyrora before. 

All power to their elbow !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Wow.. I've never heard of Skyrora before. 

Me neither. Nor had a realised that the Black Arrow first stage had survived virtually intact.

The Science Museum, London, has a Black Arrow. It is the launcher built to fly the next mission, before the idiots in Whitehall cancelled the programme. Every time I look at it, and think that the U.K. is no longer even a minor participant in the European Ariane programme  (another idiotic government decision) I get a bit angry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1