Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Goddess of the Mist

Statue Following Me Around?

32 posts in this topic

Goddess of the Mist

I debated with myself on whether to post anything about this, but finally decided it was interesting enough, so here goes:

In the mid 1990's, I spent a couple years living in Anchorage, Alaska (long story).  While I was there, I dated a guy at my job (a mistake), but he went on a trip one time and came back with a gift for me.  He knew I liked rabbits and gave me two cute little statues of bunnies.  One of them was a bunny with a string of flowers around its neck.  It was rather unusual and I have never seen a statue just like it.  It was very cute, and I carried these around me with as I bounced around the country through various moves.  I moved to Florida in 1998 - so I was about as far away from Alaska as you can get on this continent.  

A couple years ago, so probably around 2017 or thereabouts, I was going through some stuff to donate and finally decided to donate those two little bunny statues.  When I looked at them, they just reminded me of the guy who gave them to me, and I didn't feel like thinking about that anymore.  I normally take donations to Good Will or the Salvation Army, so it was one of these places that I took my donations to.  

A little over a year ago, I started a new job at a museum.  Not long after working there, I noticed something on a co-worker's desk.  It was that very same bunny statue!  The one with the string of flowers around its neck!  Over the months I'd been working there, I noticed this again and again and wondered if it could be the same statue I had brought from Alaska and donated.  I figured it almost had to be since I'd never seen another one like it!  I finally asked my coworker the other day, where did he get that statue?  I knew he liked rabbits and had them for pets.  He told me he had bought it at one of the annual sales that the museum has.  People donate things for these sales, so someone could very well have found it at a thrift store then re-donated it for the sale.  I explained the little story behind it, and how I figured it must have been the same statue that I had donated not long before that.  We both puzzled a little over how it had ended up at the museum's sale, but I think the strangest part is that someone I work closely with now just happened to buy that same statue and has it there at work on his desk.  

I don't necessarily think this means anything, but it's just funny how things work and the (sometimes bizarre) coincidences that can happen in life.  It seems that this little statue is trying to stay close to me.  We certainly had been on a long journey together, and even when I tried to give it a new home, it still ended up back where I see it almost every day!

• Like 6

joc

It is bizarre...but...it happens...

i remember my grandmother had a little plastic thingy on her mantle.  It was  some kind of a cookoo clock...there was a little girl and boy on swings and they would swing back and forth to the tick tock of the clock and then every quarter hour this little bird would come out of a bird house and tweet.

So...I inherited it...but I inherited so much stuff like that...I also took that to good will because it didn't work anymore.  Years later i saw that same swing clock in an antique store.  I think stuff gets around...it kind of makes the rounds.

• Like 5

Goddess of the Mist

@joc I hear you!  I think the part that gets me the most, though, is how the statue ended up right there where I work - on a coworker's desk no less.  Kinda weird, but the world is smaller than we think and people more closely connected than we think, I think, lol!  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piney
52 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I don't necessarily think this means anything, but it's just funny how things work and the (sometimes bizarre) coincidences that can happen in life.  It seems that this little statue is trying to stay close to me.  We certainly had been on a long journey together, and even when I tried to give it a new home, it still ended up back where I see it almost every day!

I found my tea set which was stolen while I was in prison in a antique store. Luckily the owner didn't know anything about Japanese tea sets and I bought back my 300 year old one for 50 bucks. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

openozy

Maybe its a sign that you should meet up with the guy again.It might just have been the wrong time.When you think about the odds of you seeing the bunny again,my idea is not that far fetched.

• Like 2

Goddess of the Mist
2 hours ago, openozy said:

Maybe its a sign that you should meet up with the guy again.It might just have been the wrong time.When you think about the odds of you seeing the bunny again,my idea is not that far fetched.

That's an interesting thought, and it was definitely the wrong time before. I agree that the odds of it winding up in an office next to mine after all these years AND me giving it away... I would say those odds are pretty slim. I'm not feeling that it's a connection to the guy, though.... more the place. There's other things about Alaska that haven't quite let me go. 

• Like 3

openozy
2 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

That's an interesting thought, and it was definitely the wrong time before. I agree that the odds of it winding up in an office next to mine after all these years AND me giving it away... I would say those odds are pretty slim. I'm not feeling that it's a connection to the guy, though.... more the place. There's other things about Alaska that haven't quite let me go. 

Ahh,Alaska,where I am in Oz atm its 45C.Just hearing Alaska has cooled me down a bit.Alaska,ahhhh.Yeah,if you don't feel it for the guy I wouldn't bother,bunny or no.

Edited by openozy
  • Haha 1

onlookerofmayhem

Did it look like this?

vintage-lefton-white-rabbit-figurine-sta

• Like 1

Goddess of the Mist

@onlookerofmayhem Not exactly, but wow! No, mine was on all fours and brown. Is that your statue?

Kenemet
20 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

It might not be the same statue.  If it's commercially produced and not an art piece, then there were hundreds or thousands of them made.  Have you looked on the Internet to see if there's others?

• Like 2

onlookerofmayhem
1 hour ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

@onlookerofmayhem Not exactly, but wow! No, mine was on all fours and brown. Is that your statue?

Nope. Not at all. I did a Google search for "bunny figurine wearing flower necklace" and this was one of the first few pictures. Just wanted to show that it seems to be a pretty common motif for whatever reason. Took a stab at trying to amaze everyone with my nonexistent psychic powers! :P

• Haha 2

Goddess of the Mist
4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It might not be the same statue.  If it's commercially produced and not an art piece, then there were hundreds or thousands of them made.  Have you looked on the Internet to see if there's others?

That could very well be. I haven't looked for others on the internet - I only know I haven't seen others in person, not while I owned it anyways... 

Goddess of the Mist

-Nuke-
On 1/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, Piney said:

I found my tea set which was stolen while I was in prison in a antique store. Luckily the owner didn't know anything about Japanese tea sets and I bought back my 300 year old one for 50 bucks. 

I'm almost half Japanese my grandma who was full died at the end of my prison bid..if you could help me appraise some stuff I have I'd greatly appreciate it. I have huge bronze fans with authors name on it in Japanese. Painter pictures that change. Dolls. Bells from all over the world. Kimono pieces. Just a bunch of stuff I need to sell. I'm not getting rid of everything but it would be nice to know what I got and then make decisions from there!

• Like 1

Piney
3 hours ago, -Nuke- said:

I'm almost half Japanese my grandma who was full died at the end of my prison bid..if you could help me appraise some stuff I have I'd greatly appreciate it. I have huge bronze fans with authors name on it in Japanese. Painter pictures that change. Dolls. Bells from all over the world. Kimono pieces. Just a bunch of stuff I need to sell. I'm not getting rid of everything but it would be nice to know what I got and then make decisions from there!

:lol:

If they are those geisha dolls made during the occupation I don't think their worth much. We have a whole case of them in the sitting room. Watercolor and Shoji prints might be worth something depending on the artist but I'm not a appraiser so I don't know. 

My tea set was my stepgrandfather's, who was a Priest from a old Temple family and made for his family. Not as a export. That's what made it valuable. 

Did she make pilgrimages? That's where all my sister's bells came from. Temples from around Asia. 

RabidMongoose
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

I debated with myself on whether to post anything about this, but finally decided it was interesting enough, so here goes:

In the mid 1990's, I spent a couple years living in Anchorage, Alaska (long story).  While I was there, I dated a guy at my job (a mistake), but he went on a trip one time and came back with a gift for me.  He knew I liked rabbits and gave me two cute little statues of bunnies.  One of them was a bunny with a string of flowers around its neck.  It was rather unusual and I have never seen a statue just like it.  It was very cute, and I carried these around me with as I bounced around the country through various moves.  I moved to Florida in 1998 - so I was about as far away from Alaska as you can get on this continent.  

A couple years ago, so probably around 2017 or thereabouts, I was going through some stuff to donate and finally decided to donate those two little bunny statues.  When I looked at them, they just reminded me of the guy who gave them to me, and I didn't feel like thinking about that anymore.  I normally take donations to Good Will or the Salvation Army, so it was one of these places that I took my donations to.  

A little over a year ago, I started a new job at a museum.  Not long after working there, I noticed something on a co-worker's desk.  It was that very same bunny statue!  The one with the string of flowers around its neck!  Over the months I'd been working there, I noticed this again and again and wondered if it could be the same statue I had brought from Alaska and donated.  I figured it almost had to be since I'd never seen another one like it!  I finally asked my coworker the other day, where did he get that statue?  I knew he liked rabbits and had them for pets.  He told me he had bought it at one of the annual sales that the museum has.  People donate things for these sales, so someone could very well have found it at a thrift store then re-donated it for the sale.  I explained the little story behind it, and how I figured it must have been the same statue that I had donated not long before that.  We both puzzled a little over how it had ended up at the museum's sale, but I think the strangest part is that someone I work closely with now just happened to buy that same statue and has it there at work on his desk.  

Sounds like you have encountered an instance of Quantum Teleportation.

Are there any other coincidences surround this? As normally you need at least two working together for it to occur.

• Like 1

Rlyeh
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Are there any other coincidences surround this? As normally you need at least two working together for it to occur.

What makes you think they teleported?

RoofGardener
On 21/01/2019 at 8:09 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

ZOMG.. it's a Weeping Rabbit 

Don't blink !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

-Nuke-
5 hours ago, Piney said:

If they are those geisha dolls made during the occupation I don't think their worth much. We have a whole case of them in the sitting room. Watercolor and Shoji prints might be worth something depending on the artist but I'm not a appraiser so I don't know. 

My tea set was my stepgrandfather's, who was a Priest from a old Temple family and made for his family. Not as a export. That's what made it valuable. 

Did she make pilgrimages? That's where all my sister's bells came from. Temples from around Asia. 

There are so many of them but I think so. The only one I put on the market said India on the inside and had like 5 rope bells on it. And yea the dolls are those hand made ones with like real hair and stuff in those cases. Probably the same ones. But thank u 

Piney
4 minutes ago, -Nuke- said:

India on the inside and had like 5 rope bells on it.

I have one of them hanging on my door noren from my grandmother. :lol:

• Haha 1

-Nuke-
Just now, Piney said:

I have one of them hanging on my door noren from my grandmother. :lol:

Haha that's cool mine was my grandmother's too. What's your grandmother's heritage? Japanese here. Osaka Maeda family 

• Like 1

Piney
7 minutes ago, -Nuke- said:

Haha that's cool mine was my grandmother's too. What's your grandmother's heritage? Japanese here. Osaka Maeda family 

O'ahu Issei , Sagawa, originally from Kyoto

• Like 1

-Nuke-
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

O'ahu Issei , Sagawa, originally from Kyoto

Crazy ..  we have alot in common pls tell me the rest of your main heritages aren't German and Cherokee? I'm mainly German and Japanese but have Indian and Irish and probably some other **** mixed in there.. and I'm off topic like hell now but still cool to know :P

• Like 1

Piney
6 minutes ago, -Nuke- said:

Crazy ..  we have alot in common pls tell me the rest of your main heritages aren't German and Cherokee? I'm mainly German and Japanese but have Indian and Irish and probably some other **** mixed in there.. and I'm off topic like hell now but still cool to know :P

I was adopted. My father was Nanticoke and 6 Nations Delaware and my mother was British Newage hippie. I just look half Japanese. I'm actually half Indian. 

Goddess of the Mist
10 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I'm not sure if you're being serious ~ but actually there is another coincidence. Remember I received the statue as a gift in Alaska. Well the person who gave it to me had family in Florida (where I live now) and I actually think he lives in Florida now.