Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
macqdor

Poltergeists and Mysterious Psychic Powers

158 posts in this topic

Habitat
1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I don't see how it's an entitlement. It's just a preference in lieu of a serous attempt. Superstitious answers are just an illusion of an answer. All it does is satisfy an individuals desire to be knowledgeable about things they don't understand. A thinking placebo if you will. 

There's no more urgency with chasing an answer than there is learning about Mars. One can guess and revel in personal ideas about John Carter, or they can study the findings of the Rover missions. It's not imperative to any individual but it does expand the mind in a genuine manner and is a fascinating interest for some. And it can provide a few answers if one looks hard enough.

Why is it necessary to settle on a "position",  yea or nay, re the possibility of an afterlife ?

psyche101
9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Why is it necessary to settle on a "position",  yea or nay, re the possibility of an afterlife ?

Curiosity is basic human nature. The need to know. Same reason people climbed everest and map the sea floor. 

If we have information, why not use it? I don't see anything wrong with bettering standards. 

Edited by psyche101

psyche101

The same question in reverse  why settle for an argument from ignorance? 

• Thanks 1

Habitat
4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The same question in reverse  why settle for an argument from ignorance? 

I'm settling for an argument based on very convincing experience, but in the absence of that, I would have made no judgement either way. There is no need to guess.

the13bats

Im at the lower end of your guys discussion,

For me some things very well might not be things that can be proven, bigfoot would have to be a flesh and blood creature, aliens while their flesh and blood might be different to what we know they would be here in body a being a creature with us, but things like an afterlife or ghosts?

one of my biggest hurdles is there isnt one account of a ghost actually helping with something, stories like the ghost of my grandmother told me where her lost ring was do not count as that could be deep in the persons mind or found by chance,

If a person who never pays lotto says grabdmas ghost said play these numbers and its a win that next drawing then i will at least take notice, of course it could have been just luck,

For now ghosts are a folder next to the folder "alien abductions" the file is called

"Head games"

If ghosts cant help having no connection to us then who cares my theory i posted number4 in the cat ghost applies.

And lets not leave out if a ghost could help it could hurt.

psyche101
58 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I'm settling for an argument based on very convincing experience,

I'm not questioning the experience but the conclusion. It's still based on human myths that fit the conclusion and as I say, we have been concocting these myths for centuries to create an answer through human tales. It's like saying the story of Hansel and Gretel is real because people named Hansel and Gretel exist. 

but in the absence of that, I would have made no judgement either way.

And I won't be climbing everest any time soon. It doesn't mean others should not be interested in doing so. 

There is no need to guess.

And there's nothing wrong with using cutting edge knowledge and discovery to leave the path of human ideas for what nature can tell us. If it says something cannot happen, most likely outcome is those theories are wrong. 

psyche101
39 minutes ago, the13bats said:

For me some things very well might not be things that can be proven, bigfoot would have to be a flesh and blood creature, aliens while their flesh and blood might be different to what we know they would be here in body a being a creature with us, but things like an afterlife or ghosts?

one of my biggest hurdles is there isnt one account of a ghost actually helping with something, stories like the ghost of my grandmother told me where her lost ring was do not count as that could be deep in the persons mind or found by chance,

If a person who never pays lotto says grabdmas ghost said play these numbers and its a win that next drawing then i will at least take notice, of course it could have been just luck,

For now ghosts are a folder next to the folder "alien abductions" the file is called

"Head games"

If ghosts cant help having no connection to us then who cares my theory i posted number4 in the cat ghost applies.

And lets not leave out if a ghost could help it could hurt.

My biggest problem with afterlife theories is that man made them up  and they defy physics. The best physicists at the best academic institutions will outright say there is no afterlife, physics rules it out. And their argument is well supported. 

ChrLzs
44 minutes ago, the13bats said:

No, you're actually not!

one of my biggest hurdles is there isnt one account of a ghost actually helping with something

That's a well chosen hurdle!  It seems that when you get ghostified you turn into an entity that is virtually helpless and unable to do anything constructive, other than maybe knock a precariously positioned vase off a shelf..

stories like the ghost of my grandmother told me where her lost ring was do not count as that could be deep in the persons mind or found by chance,

If a person who never pays lotto says grabdmas ghost said play these numbers and its a win that next drawing then i will at least take notice

Me too.  Provided they tell me BEFORE it happens...

of course it could have been just luck..

Especially nowadays when virtually the entire world is sharing stuff - there will be a lot of synchronicities, coincidences and 'luck' - there has to be via the laws of probability..

If ghosts cant help having no connection to us then who cares...

Exactly, if no-one can provide decent evidence (and to date clearly no-one can), then they may as well not exist, so i choose to make the current call:

They do NOT exist.

Happy to see something that will change my mind....

• Thanks 1