Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Five indigenous child suicides in 9 days

Eldorado

Five indigenous teenage girls between the ages of 12 and 15 years of age have taken their own lives in the past nine days.

The most recent loss was of a 12-year-old Adelaide girl who died last Friday.

Three of the other cases occurred in Western Australia and one was in Queensland.

Full report: https://www.news.com.au/national/five-indigenous-girls-take-their-own-lives-in-nineday-period/news-story/f800a3e6ebc210e37cb3084854381fdf

:(

• Sad 9

This is just so sad. I hope the programs being installed take this seriously.

• Like 4

From the link; It noted that the suicide rate, which had “doubled in five years”, was attributable to a governmental failure to respond to many reports.

Ya think? If you were any kind of reporter with a set you would have stated that it was a direct result of a governmental failure to respond to many reports. Arrg.:angry:

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 3

I wouldn't discount the effects of rampant child sex abuse in many aboriginal communities. Non-Australian readers may not be aware of govt "intervention" programs, where doctors have been tasked with mandatory physical examinations of young girls, to establish whether they have been subjected to sex abuse. Presumably, and I don't know what has occurred in practice, if found to be in an abuse situation, fostered out. Not a happy story, but a sign that past govt policies have been ineffective.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, susieice said:

This is just so sad. I hope the programs being installed take this seriously.

I hope so too. 

Our government might not cop much critisism on the word stage, but it is as heartless as any organisation. It works of statistics, not care. Whatever works and doesnt cost too much, often employing young people fresh out of Uni for positions that require experience. These poor kids struggle along with textbooks trying to solve life problems, and I feel that makes them part of the problem. . The individual is just a number. Whilst most people view such circumstances with empathy and shock, the government sees a number that must be reversed to maintain votes. 

I really don't think this system works. I don't think leaders should be elected by the people but by qualification. 

• Like 5

I think the government gets too much blame as actually criticizing modern Aboriginal society is taboo and gets you called an uncaring evil racist. So,  I'll expect to read the same things in the next decades that I've been reading the last few decades about how terrible the government aborigine policies are. If you expect the government to fix social problems that a community can better fix itself then you have a perpetual problem

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I hope so too. 

Our government might not cop much critisism on the word stage, but it is as heartless as any organisation.

Australia and Canada are similar in many ways, including identity crisis. We are applauded on the world stage for playing ball with the UN agenda but when you peel back the layers, the Canadian Gov treats natives like crap and continues to tax our wealth out of existence. Both AUS and CAN are great, beautiful places to live but they are still run by corrupted politicians. I suppose that's what it makes it so tragic.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Australia and Canada are similar in many ways, including identity crisis. We are applauded on the world stage for playing ball with the UN agenda but when you peel back the layers, the Canadian Gov treats natives like crap and continues to tax our wealth out of existence. Both AUS and CAN are great, beautiful places to live but they are still run by corrupted politicians. I suppose that's what it makes it so tragic.

Run by "corrupted politicians" freely chosen by the Electorate to run things for them. Time and time and time again.

Tragic, indeed.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Run by "corrupted politicians" freely chosen by the Electorate to run things for them. Time and time and time again.

Tragic, indeed.

Unqualified corrupted career politicians only looking to get re-elected. 

On 23/01/2019 at 8:17 PM, Captain Risky said:

Unqualified corrupted career politicians only looking to get re-elected. 

Dime a dozen and par for the course in almost all African countries.

Its interesting to hear it from countries where so many are trying to get into from Africa. Seems the grass is not always greener on the other side.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 2:56 AM, Dark_Grey said:

I honestly think it more stupidity than corruption. 

On 1/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, DodgyDaoist said:

Dime a dozen and par for the course in almost all African countries.

Its interesting to hear it from countries where so many are trying to get into from Africa. Seems the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Compared to what I have read about Africa with car jacking and farmer murders, I'd say Canada and Australia are still paradise in comparison. Dumb politicians making stupid decisions has nothing on the white farmer murders. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Compared to what I have read about Africa with car jacking and farmer murders, I'd say Canada and Australia are still paradise in comparison. Dumb politicians making stupid decisions has nothing on the white farmer murders. 

Car jacking has lot to do with the haves and the have nots, and when there are more have nots than have's , people steal that which gives them the highest return for their crime.

Farm murders are whole different kettle of fish, although i must state that while white farm murders make the headlines there are also a fair share of murders commited upon farmers of other races that do not recieve the same amount of press.

One of the biggest reasons for the spike in farm murders was the disbandenment of the "Kommando" system. This was a system in most farming communities made of ex-military, ex-police force and local farmers. They were trained and armed. When the country changed hands politically, the new government changed the gun laws, making it extremely difficult for people to retain firearm licences and limiting what sort of firearms one may get licenced for. Simultaneously the disbandenment of the Kommando system left farmers vunerable and easy prey to vicious violent criminals, many of whom harbour a hatred for those who they think have stolen their land. On top of all that the Police underwent major changes in policies regarding crime, the rights of criminals and the use of deadly force by both the police and the law abiding public. These are just some of the factors at play that brought about this disgrace that is often simply regarded as an alarmist white racist problem instead of as the domestic terrorism that it actually is.

16 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Car jacking has lot to do with the haves and the have nots, and when there are more have nots than have's , people steal that which gives them the highest return for their crime.

Farm murders are whole different kettle of fish, although i must state that while white farm murders make the headlines there are also a fair share of murders commited upon farmers of other races that do not recieve the same amount of press.

One of the biggest reasons for the spike in farm murders was the disbandenment of the "Kommando" system. This was a system in most farming communities made of ex-military, ex-police force and local farmers. They were trained and armed. When the country changed hands politically, the new government changed the gun laws, making it extremely difficult for people to retain firearm licences and limiting what sort of firearms one may get licenced for. Simultaneously the disbandenment of the Kommando system left farmers vunerable and easy prey to vicious violent criminals, many of whom harbour a hatred for those who they think have stolen their land. On top of all that the Police underwent major changes in policies regarding crime, the rights of criminals and the use of deadly force by both the police and the law abiding public. These are just some of the factors at play that brought about this disgrace that is often simply regarded as an alarmist white racist problem instead of as the domestic terrorism that it actually is.

And yet Canada and Australia are weapon free. We didn't have to shoot our way to peace. 

On 29/01/2019 at 6:05 AM, psyche101 said:

And yet Canada and Australia are weapon free. We didn't have to shoot our way to peace. 

Both first world countries with little to no history of instability or major shifts of governments through conflict who have become renowned nanny states. First world solutions do not work in the 3rd world very well.

This is not about "shooting our way to peace" , this is about proactive defence in the face of overwhelming criminal activity, where illegal firearms are a dime a dozen, where police stations and military personal are attacked, robbed, and killed for their firearms, and where the police are often complicit in either providing firearms to criminals or are revealed to be active participants in major criminal activity. The following are not isolated incidences. This post would be extemely long if I provided more links.

Five policemen dead in attack on station - https://www.enca.com/south-africa/five-police-dead-in-attack-on-station

Robbers catch military off guard at army base - https://www.iol.co.za/news/robbers-catch-military-off-guard-at-army-base-8668943

Police Colonel complicit in selling guns to gangsters - https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/illegal-firearms-fuel-gang-violence-in-cape-15953946

Regarding farm attacks :https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-01-29-one-person-murdered-every-week-on-a-farm-in-sa-afriforum/

"The farming community is fighting back and subsequently there is a decrease in murders. More victims are shooting back, more are being trained and more are defending themselves," Ian Cameron, AfriForum’s head of community safety, said in a statement.

When citizens cannot rely on protection from those who are meant to protect and serve, then it is up to the citizens to become proactive in defending their own lives and the lives of their fellow citizens.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, Golden Duck said:

I caught this a couple of night on SBS NITV

https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/first-contact

I actually read an article at the time this program was on and it was an interview with this aboriginal academic on indigenous suicides and the reasons.  Found it on Aljazeera.

A lack of self determination, opportunity, self belief in themselves as individuals and their cultural community seem to be the main reasons this may be occurring and this becomes even more evident in fragile minds of teenages who turn out feeling lost and helpless.  You look across the ditch and NZ Maori's are vastly proud people and proud of their culture in comparison.  It's undeniable the occupation and genocide by Europeans have left generational scars on indigenous aborigines.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, DodgyDaoist said:

Both first world countries with little to no history of instability or major shifts of governments through conflict who have become renowned nanny states. First world solutions do not work in the 3rd world very well.

Conflicts are conflicts. It doesn't matter where they happen, peaceful resolution is the only way forward. 

LOL, you gun nuts and your nanny state references! Passive aggressive views to self validate violence. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, DodgyDaoist said:

This is not about "shooting our way to peace" , this is about proactive defence in the face of overwhelming criminal activity, where illegal firearms are a dime a dozen, where police stations and military personal are attacked, robbed, and killed for their firearms, and where the police are often complicit in either providing firearms to criminals or are revealed to be active participants in major criminal activity. The following are not isolated incidences. This post would be extemely long if I provided more links.

Five policemen dead in attack on station - https://www.enca.com/south-africa/five-police-dead-in-attack-on-station

Robbers catch military off guard at army base - https://www.iol.co.za/news/robbers-catch-military-off-guard-at-army-base-8668943

Police Colonel complicit in selling guns to gangsters - https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/illegal-firearms-fuel-gang-violence-in-cape-15953946

Regarding farm attacks :https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-01-29-one-person-murdered-every-week-on-a-farm-in-sa-afriforum/

When citizens cannot rely on protection from those who are meant to protect and serve, then it is up to the citizens to become proactive in defending their own lives and the lives of their fellow citizens.

Rather than first world solutions, first world intervention seems more appropriate. The country is a mess, the people are in a bad situation and the government is corrupt as it can be. 

With guns, the group with the most guns will end up running the show. It's been like this for decades and getting worse. 

Christ on a bike, how do we get from kids suiciding to yet another bloody debate on gun ownership?

On 28/01/2019 at 11:28 AM, DodgyDaoist said:

Car jacking has lot to do with the haves and the have nots, and when there are more have nots than have's , people steal that which gives them the highest return for their crime.....

Only in certain types of communities.