Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taiwan's "Bikini Hiker" dies from hypothermia

Eldorado

A Taiwanese hiker known for posting bikini clad photos from mountain summits has died after falling into a ravine during a solo trek.

Gigi Wu managed to contact emergency services but bad weather delayed rescue operations, local media reports say.

The 36-year-old is thought to have died of hypothermia.

She was a popular figure on social media and messages on her Facebook pages pay tribute to her as an inspirational hiker.

Full sad report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46955645

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

' inspirational '

wouldn't that be somewhat of a stretch of the imagination even if she left little to the imagination?

~

• Thanks 1

This really is sad. The article says she used proper equipment while hiking and had loads of experience. Posing for pictures on the summits was a whole different thing. Personally, I think going on these treks alone was the most foolish thing she did.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, susieice said:

This really is sad. The article says she used proper equipment while hiking and had loads of experience. Posing for pictures on the summits was a whole different thing. Personally, I think going on these treks alone was the most foolish thing she did.

Idk, I have done solo treks before, it is more dangerous for sure, but it also is a different kind of experience being all on your own.

There is risk to everything in life, so it is hard to find a balance. I getting the feeling that she is the type of person who even if she lived from this would be out there doing the solo trek again. 

• Like 5

Well, I am sure she would not be able to live with the thought of disappointing her fans had she survived this little unfortunate episode

~

7 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Idk, I have done solo treks before, it is more dangerous for sure, but it also is a different kind of experience being all on your own.

There is risk to everything in life, so it is hard to find a balance. I getting the feeling that she is the type of person who even if she lived from this would be out there doing the solo trek again. 

I agree.  It might seem foolish in the extreme but at least she had the courage and drive to live life on her own terms.  She was also old enough to appreciate the risks and while I'm sure she didn't have a death wish, she understood and made her own choice anyway.  RIP!  Some people live more in 3 decades than the rest of us do in 6 or 7.

• Like 5