Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Scientists discover new quantum spin liquid

13 posts in this topic

Still Waters

An international research team led by the University of Liverpool and McMaster University has made a significant breakthrough in the search for new states of matter.

In a study published in the journal Nature Physics, researchers show that the perovskite-related metal oxide, TbInO3, exhibits a quantum spin liquid state, a long-sought-after and unusual state of matter.

Using cutting-edge experimental technologies, including inelastic neutron scattering and muon spectroscopy, researchers discovered that the exotic quantum state in TbInO3 emerges from the complexity of the local environment around the magnetic ions in the material, in this case, of the rare-earth element terbium.

The discovery came as a surprise to the team as TbInO3 is a material not expected to display such unusual magnetic behaviour based on its crystal structure.

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-scientists-quantum-liquid.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

seanjo

Lot's of googling to understand this post!

• Like 4

danydandan
11 hours ago, Still Waters said:

An international research team led by the University of Liverpool and McMaster University has made a significant breakthrough in the search for new states of matter.

In a study published in the journal Nature Physics, researchers show that the perovskite-related metal oxide, TbInO3, exhibits a quantum spin liquid state, a long-sought-after and unusual state of matter.

Using cutting-edge experimental technologies, including inelastic neutron scattering and muon spectroscopy, researchers discovered that the exotic quantum state in TbInO3 emerges from the complexity of the local environment around the magnetic ions in the material, in this case, of the rare-earth element terbium.

The discovery came as a surprise to the team as TbInO3 is a material not expected to display such unusual magnetic behaviour based on its crystal structure.

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-scientists-quantum-liquid.html

I read their paper a few days ago. There are so many applications for this. It might help with computing speed. Pretty awesome discovery

• Like 2

freetoroam
1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Lot's of googling to understand this post!

I am with you, but i am still googling and way behind them

"It has taken us several years of hard work and experiments to reach this point in our understanding of TbInO3."

https://m.phys.org/news/2019-01-scientists-quantum-liquid.html

Doubt google is going to help me in 1 hour in what it has taken the scientists years. :huh:

• Like 2

danydandan
2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I am with you, but i am still googling and way behind them

Doubt google is going to help me in 1 hour in what it has taken the scientists years. :huh:

Years and years just on Spectroscopy and INS.

• Like 1

freetoroam
1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Thanks for that dan, you have only confused me more.

Thats another 9 months of googling.:blink:

• Haha 1

danydandan
10 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Thanks for that dan, you have only confused me more.

Thats another 9 months of googling.:blink:

No need to Google, there is an app called Researcher, it a great way to stay on top of my field of study. But if you download it just search Spectroscopy journals. I'm subscribed to a number of them. Just for example,

Applied Spectroscopy, Atomic Spectroscopy. But spectroscopy is broken down further into different fields Raman, Quantitative, Mass, Biomolecular, X-Ray. It's a massive field. Literally years of research.

• Like 2

freetoroam
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

No need to Google, there is an app called Researcher, it a great way to stay on top of my field of study. But if you download it just search Spectroscopy journals. I'm subscribed to a number of them. Just for example,

Applied Spectroscopy, Atomic Spectroscopy. But spectroscopy is broken down further into different fields Raman, Quantitative, Mass, Biomolecular, X-Ray. It's a massive field. Literally years of research.

You are showing off now.

Lets talk about traditional narrowboats instead.

• Haha 1

danydandan
5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

You are showing off now.

Lets talk about traditional narrowboats instead.

Sure they are made of wood and can float on water. I assume?

I'm gonna see if there is a narrowboat journal.

Edit: There isn't.

Edited by danydandan
  • Haha 1

freetoroam
4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Sure they are made of wood and can float on water. I assume?

Nearly, mine is not that old and is made of steel, we do not use horses to pull it along. But it does float on water. :tu:

• Haha 1

danydandan
8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Nearly, mine is not that old and is made of steel, we do not use horses to pull it along. But it does float on water. :tu:

Seems obsolete to make a horse swim to pull the boat. Why not stick an Ion Core Engine on it?

But I was so close to guessing correctly.

Edited by danydandan
  • Haha 1

AtlantisRises
12 hours ago, danydandan said:

Years and years of neglected chess practice.

• Haha 1

danydandan
6 hours ago, AtlantisRises said:

Years and years of neglected chess practice.

Certainly feels that way now. 

• Haha 1