Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'The Battered Wife' fish shop causes backlash

Still Waters

The owner of an Australian fish and chip shop called The Battered Wife says she has been forced out of business following an "abusive witch hunt" by people unhappy with its name.

Carolyn Kerr defended the name last year, saying the shop in Queensland raised awareness about family violence.

But it has drawn months of controversy, with state lawmakers and others arguing the name trivialises abuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-46968119

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I really don't care for the name either, but at the same time, I don't understand why anyone would resort to threats and intimidation. File a complaint, or better yet, don't order their food. More shocking, however, is the fact that at least one woman per week is murdered in Australia by a current or former male partner. Same stats around the world are probably not that much better. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Carolyn Kerr defended the name last year, saying the shop in Queensland raised awareness about family violence.

Absolute rubbish lie. This is an excuse. She is selling fish and chips, what has that got to do with abuse?

But, i too do not care for the name and can see where she thought up the idea, she just did not think it through enough before placing it up above her shop.

Really she would have been better off just changing the name, she may still have had a business. 

People need to stick to what they do best, if you are selling cod and chips, then do not bring in wayzing awareness of anything else, which has nothing to do with it.

• Like 5

The irony is that she WAS a battered wife herself, so the name is appropriate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It doesn't say that in the BBC article, but I've found one that does.

"I've been around domestic violence — I was a copper way back when, and after that domestic violence liaison through courts, and then I found myself in a situation where I was in that as well and I just thought 'you know, it's my little stand to try to make awareness'," she said.

She said she had felt trapped in a relationship.

"Not as bad as a lot of people, but define the degree and define bad. At the end of the day I found myself with my brain telling me 'what the devil are you doing, get out, why are you here?' and the heart's going 'but I love him, he'll change', and it just really mucks with your psyche," she said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-31/battered-wife-fish-shop-earns-harsh-words-in-parliament/10452660

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Almost as good taste as those record shops calling themselves The Vinyl Solution. :hmm: 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Not really appropriate for when you are selling fish and chips. Maybe she should have started up a face book page..

And why did she not just change the name when she realised it would affect her business? 

I just do not get how she thought it was going to raise awareness, people did not know anything about her, they just wanted some fish and chips and saw a sign which was not in good taste, that would put you right off your cod.

• Like 1

People are just so sensitive nowadays , PC police everywhere, its rather sad really when one cannot make light of bad situations with a little word play.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

People are just so sensitive nowadays , PC police everywhere, its rather sad really when one cannot make light of bad situations with a little word play.

That is the problem, people are too sensitive today.

I can see where the play on words was with the shop name,  but today it is not appropriate.

Because of 'awareness' of this and that, it actually makes play on words a taboo.

The thing i do not get, is why she jeapodised her business when all she had to do was change the name. IF she was trying to raise awareness then there were other ways of doing it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I can see where the play on words was with the shop name,  but today it is not appropriate.

Because of 'awareness' of this and that, it actually makes play on words a taboo.

The thing i do not get, is why she jeapodised her business when all she had to do was change the name. IF she was trying to raise awareness then there were other ways of doing it. 

The problem is people dont want to face the uncomfortable truth. Women are abused and battered - fact, its something one reads about in the media, its distant, its removed from reality, its best kept that way and not blatantly emblazoned across the face of the local fish and chip shop.Thats too raw and in your face. However that is precisely what is needed to bring attention to this blight, and that is an issue worth jeopodising a business over.

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It has been deemed as poor taste for 20 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27119310/

• Like 2

What's in a name ...

~

Sep 15, 2015 - The historic 1892 Cuckolds Lighthouse, on an island off Boothbay Harbor, Maine has been rescued, restored, and reborn as an offshore Lighthouse Inn, and community asset for maritime recreation, education, and historic preservation. ... Maine Public 3,392 views. ... Frozen Lighthouse and ...

~

~

Just a heads up for the guys, when in China or anywhere near a predominantly Chinese populace ... don't wear a green hat or cap ...

~

In China “wearing a green hat” (戴绿帽子 or dài lǜ mào zǐ) is an expression that Chinese use when a woman cheats on her husband or boyfriend because the phrase sounds similar to the word for cuckold. This apparently dates back to the Yuan dynasty when the relatives of prostitutes were forced to wear green hats.Oct 13, 2012

~

• Thanks 1

What's not to like about a green hat ?

See the source image

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

What's in a name ...

~

Just a heads up for the guys, when in China or anywhere near a predominantly Chinese populace ... don't wear a green hat or cap ...

What the ...? What shade of green?

51+Fo9Y6YCL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

The problem is people dont want to face the uncomfortable truth. Women are abused and battered - fact, its something one reads about in the media, its distant, its removed from reality, its best kept that way and not blatantly emblazoned across the face of the local fish and chip shop.Thats too raw and in your face. However that is precisely what is needed to bring attention to this blight, and that is an issue worth jeopodising a business over.

It is not worth jeapodising your fish and chip business over when there are other ways.

Yes some women are still getting battered, but so are some men and children are too. Do we really want it splattered across shops sign? 

It is not a case of not wanting to face the truth. It is a case of not wanting it in your face when all you want to do is get something to eat.

If everyone used their shops as a place to raise awareness for all the horrible things in the world, our streets would be a constant reminder to the victims who want to get on with their every day life. 

As i say, there are other ways of raising awareness, we have plenty of adverts on the internet and on tv, do we want them over shop signs too?! 

This particular story is not as cut and dry as her trying to raise awareness, which i believe she made up when things started going pearshaped,

It had been prompted by an "anonymous complaint" about staff wages, she said

Ms Kerr did not elaborate on the complaint about wages.

It is unclear if the complaints came before the wages issue, so it is possible an ex employee or employees started a vendetta against her...and it grew from there. 

If that was the case, then they found their way of raising awareness against her....this could be the reason she did not take the simple option of changing the shops name, not only to save her business but to respect those who did not see it as fitting.

She IMO used a play on words and it backfired when her 'abuse' of staff came out.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

What's not to like about a green hat ?

THat's a costume to the chinese so that doesn't matter all that much ....

~

Just now, Golden Duck said:

What the ...? What shade of green?

THe art of Oriental irony expressed with chinese cultural sentiments ... Mao's Motherland government of his day was regarded as that ultimate whore, too accommodating to foreigners. :yes:

Which brings up the other contradictory perspective ....

~

The Yuan dynasty officially the Great Yuan was the empire or ruling dynasty of China ... Some of the Mongolian Emperors of the Yuan mastered the Chinese ...
Government‎: ‎Monarchy
Historical era‎: ‎Postclassical Era
Capital‎: ‎Khanbaliq‎ (‎Beijing‎); ‎Shangdu‎ (summer ...
Common languages‎: ‎Mongolian (Middle Mong...

~

A lot of what is considered China today isn't really all that Chinese ... almost 2000 years of Silk Road traffic brought a lot of ins and outs among ups and downs, but that's ultimately what makes China, China ...

~

• Thanks 1

In China “wearing a green hat” (戴绿帽子 or dài lǜ mào zǐ) is an expression that Chinese use when a woman cheats on her husband or boyfriend

I do not get this.

Is it the men who should not wear the green hat or cap?  

If a wife cheats on her husband, why should the man not be able to wear a green hat he did nothing wrong. And what as this got to do with relatives of prostitutes?

Just now, freetoroam said:

I do not get this.

Is it the men who should not wear the green hat or cap?  

Unless forced to, that's law back in them olde days

~

Just now, freetoroam said:

If a wife cheats on her husband, why should the man not be able to wear a green hat he did nothing wrong. And what as this got to do with relatives of prostitutes?

Nothing to do with right or wrong, think The Star of David sewn onto the coats of Jews once upon a time ...

~

• Thanks 2

On 1/24/2019 at 12:33 AM, freetoroam said:

Absolute rubbish lie. This is an excuse. She is selling fish and chips, what has that got to do with abuse?

But, i too do not care for the name and can see where she thought up the idea, she just did not think it through enough before placing it up above her shop.

Really she would have been better off just changing the name, she may still have had a business. 

People need to stick to what they do best, if you are selling cod and chips, then do not bring in wayzing awareness of anything else, which has nothing to do with it.

totally agree. the name on the business is just a play on words and in no way does it support hitting women. i think the problem here is that some people are just shellfish.

Every time I pass the supermarket freezer cabinet and see the  "Battered Fish Fillets", I think of a wooden mallet.