Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yowie gave me nightmares, Qld truckie says

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

A delivery driver who says a hulking yowie thumbed the bonnet of his truck has been plagued by nightmares and says spotting the creature was the worst experience of his life.

The 53-year-old has told of a terrifying encounter with Australia's version of Bigfoot while driving in a bushy part of the Gold Coast hinterland in November last year.

Source

• Like 5

I'm not a believer in bigfoot, but if there's anywhere in the world where a strange, as yet unknown species can exist, it's Australia. Maybe people are seeing something but it's not related to a yeti.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm not a believer in bigfoot, but if there's anywhere in the world where a strange, as yet unknown species can exist, it's Australia. Maybe people are seeing something but it's not related to a yeti.

I try to be openminded on many things and there replaces in the world where something could hide with ought detection... but we get Bigfoot sightings here in the UK and that's just not happening.. Big cats yes Bigfoot no x  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, susieice said:

Maybe people are seeing something but it's not related to a yeti.

Susie, it's impossible to say if Yeti is related to BigFoot unless both are captured. 

the one aspect I see where they are both related is their ability to evade. ANd let's not forget the siberian yeti. Lots of unchartered territory over there, maybe more than australia

• Like 2

I took her use of the word "related" as in similar described unproven creatures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lean towards the existence of Bigfoot-type creatures. We are still finding undiscovered tribes in the Amazon, are we not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, acute said:

I lean towards the existence of Bigfoot-type creatures. We are still finding undiscovered tribes in the Amazon, are we not.

Ya, I do too.   In the case of Yowie - like other such cryptids, the indigenous peoples have their own local name for it, to wit: " In parts of Queensland, they are known as quinkin (or as a type of quinkin), and as joogabinna,[1] in parts of New South Wales they are called jurrawarra, myngawin, puttikan, doolaga, gulaga and thoolagal.[1] Other names include yaroma, noocoonah, wawee, pangkarlangu, jimbra and tjangara." per wiki. Same as with American indigenous ones, same with Siberian indigenous people, too, local names because communication amongst tribes was not possible millenia ago. They all had their own name.

What makes these cryptids much different than others is, the sightings of these creatures are ongoing and systemic. And I am never going to believe that all of these peoples have been in a gigantic conspiracy for thousands of years to play some silly game of make believe.

They are seeing something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

They are seeing something.

I agree they are probably seeing something. I just don't think it's an bipedal humanoid type creature. That's how a lot of people describe bigfoot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

I agree they are probably seeing something. I just don't think it's an bipedal humanoid type creature. That's how a lot of people describe bigfoot.

You see, in America, Susie, people blow off a BF sighting as seeing a "bear".  The Yowie is 10 feet tall and there are no bears in Australia. Now what?

People simply cannot accept that such a creature exists because it behaves like no other.  And I admit, I really didn't believe either until I came to U-M.  Right now, I am about 90% sold on these cryptids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

You see, in America, Susie, people blow off a BF sighting as seeing a "bear".  The Yowie is 10 feet tall and there are no bears in Australia. Now what?

People simply cannot accept that such a creature exists because it behaves like no other.  And I admit, I really didn't believe either until I came to U-M.  Right now, I am about 90% sold on these cryptids.

I don't think there are bears in the southern hemisphere. Just like apes aren't found in the northern hemisphere. I don't know what people are seeing. I just question if it's humanoid like people say.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

I don't know what people are seeing. I just question if it's humanoid like people say.

A little food for thought, Susie.  

If it is some other creature, then that creature is just as mysterious as the Yowie. In other words, you can't get around "cryptoid" here. Not that I can see.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

A little food for thought, Susie.  

If it is some other creature, then ithat creature is just as mysterious as the Yowie. In other words, you can't get around "cryptoid" here. Not that I can see.

It would certainly be an, as yet, unidentified species. It's amazing how it's been able to avoid capture or leaving behind any evidence of it's existence, but I don't think it's related to homo sapiens. It would have to be an offshoot of our species that has somehow been able to hide all traces that it's here. Even Neanderthal has been long extinct and we know they co-existed with modern man. Unless there was a split that took place and they were able to hide themselves almost completely. I'm thinking it's some type of an animal we don't know about yet.

14 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm thinking it's some type of an animal we don't know about yet.

Please don't think I am badgering you, Susie, but this is interesting.  I'll address your above in two parts:

I)  Looking at it as your above, you run into the exact same set of problems as you do with Yowie/BF. Where are the skeletal remains, the scat, etc etc..., so there is no escape from mysterious cryptoid,, other than to baselessly posit that all reports of such creatures are fabrications. To me, that's wishful thinking.

II) Well, then why can't that animal be Yowie?  LOL    What's in a name? It' some kind of creature that appears to be 10 feet tall. that's it. We know nothing more...

unless, all seers of yowie/BF et al, are fabricating :unsure:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Please don't think I am badgering you, Susie, but this is interesting.  I'll address your above in two parts:

I)  Looking at it as your above, you run into the exact same set of problems as you do with Yowie/BF. Where are the skeletal remains, the scat, etc etc..., so there is no escape from mysterious cryptoid,, other than to baselessly posit that all reports of such creatures are fabrications. To me, that's wishful thinking.

II) Well, then why can't that animal be Yowie?  LOL    What's in a name? It' some kind of creature that appears to be 10 feet tall. that's it. We know nothing more...

unless, all seers of yowie/BF et al, are fabricating :unsure:

I don't think you're badgering at all. People may well be seeing some sort of an animal that's able to keep moving into wilderness as humans expand their habitats. What I question is does it look, walk and think like a human? Many people have described it as such, and I have a hard time accepting that we have a related species on the planet. Without any traces having been found, it's hard to identify what it is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, susieice said:

I don't think you're badgering at all. People may well be seeing some sort of an animal that's able to keep moving into wilderness as humans expand their habitats.

So far, so good.

What I question is does it look, walk and think like a human?

Well, we can easily see if it looks/walks like a human, yes, but think like one? how could anyone know that??  I draw the line there. All creatures strive to survive. If this creature does things a human would do like hunt to survive, well then so be it. No surprise there, a lot of animals do that.

Many people have described it as such, and I have a hard time accepting that we have a related species on the planet. Without any traces having been found, it's hard to identify what it is. 

Not sure it is "related" to us any more than the other great apes except for its uncanny ability to evade. And again, there are no traces of *any creature*, no matter the type.  That's the surprise.

good posting, Susie.

• Like 1

Once again earl you short site or i feel blanket me in to a grouping i do subscribe to.

In this case we are talking about what is alleged to be a large , hair covered bipedial hominid, IE, "bigfoot" ( type )   i remove yeti ( which has for all intents and purposes has been proven to be a type of bear )

So whats more likely that a a 6 to 10 foot tall hair covered bipedial hominid is stomping around never leaving any scientific evidence,

Or its a case of misidentified known creatures, hoaxes , people making up stuff or people who are delusional, of course until i see proof im going with the latter.

True believers are good with belief.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, we can easily see if it looks/walks like a human, yes, but think like one? how could anyone know that??  I draw the line there. All creatures strive to survive. If this creature does things a human would do like hunt to survive, well then so be it. No surprise there, a lot of animals do that.

Most animals hunt. Many also have strong social structures. Many mate for life. But they aren't human. I've heard people's description of bigfoot saying it has the face and mannerisms of a human. 

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not sure it is "related" to us any more than the other great apes except for its uncanny ability to evade. And again, there are no traces of *any creature*, no matter the type.  That's the surprise.

And it's where it's ability to process thought comes in. Is this instinctual? Or is this creature able to think about hiding all traces of itself and actively do it? This is where I part company with what people are saying. They may have an instinct to avoid humans. It could have even been learned over time. But to, for example, bury it's dead so there is no trace requires a thought process. No other animal that I can think of off hand does that.

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

I don't think you're badgering at all. People may well be seeing some sort of an animal that's able to keep moving into wilderness as humans expand their habitats. What I question is does it look, walk and think like a human? Many people have described it as such, and I have a hard time accepting that we have a related species on the planet. Without any traces having been found, it's hard to identify what it is. 

Hi Susie if I may but in , a lot of people have seen the 3 unidentified creatures (Bigfoot ,Yeti and the Australian anomaly ,so we can't write them off as imaginations, there are still vast unexplored areas of this planet so IMO these things exist. Explorers are finding strange new creatures every week ,from the jungles forests and the Antarctic and under the seas and Oceans . Time will tell when one of the 3 is either captured of found dead.   

• Like 1

I wonder if the estimate for the height could be wrong; and, perhaps he's misidentifying Army personnel.

... The Ghillie (or in Australian military its more commonly known as a Yowie suit although that is changing over time) is designed to go beyond this and actually hide the soldier.

https://www.combataustralia.com.au/ghillie-suit/

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Hi Susie if I may but in , a lot of people have seen the 3 unidentified creatures (Bigfoot ,Yeti and the Australian anomaly ,so we can't write them off as imaginations, there are still vast unexplored areas of this planet so IMO these things exist. Explorers are finding strange new creatures every week ,from the jungles forests and the Antarctic and under the seas and Oceans . Time will tell when one of the 3 is either captured of found dead.   

Hi spud! I agree. We don't know everything about our world that we think we do. New creatures are found all the time. I don't doubt people are seeing something but I question if these creatures have a high enough level of intelligence to think and make plans to keep itself hidden unless accidentally being seen by someone. And it's usually only one or two people that see them. Not a group of them. They would also have to be capable of hiding the remains of their deceased as nothing has ever been found.

Edited by susieice

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I wonder if the estimate for the height could be wrong; and, perhaps he's misidentifying Army personnel.

https://www.combataustralia.com.au/ghillie-suit/

That could explain some of the present sightings in Australia, but not the thousands seen in the US, Canada, Tibet...I think they've been reported in Russia and China also.

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

Hi spud! I agree. We don't know everything about our world that we think we do. New creatures are found all the time. I don't doubt people are seeing something but I question if these creatures have a high enough level of intelligence to think and make plans to keep itself hidden unless accidentally being seen by someone. And it's usually only one or two people that see them. Not a group of them. They would also have to be capable of hiding the remains of their deceased as nothing has ever been found.

How many Humans have been buried in unmarked graves all over the world (not a nice subject), but the creatures can obviously hide their deceased ,maybe in caves or crevasses , They have survived for a long time and are past masters of evasion and camouflage . I don't think that one or two people would find them ,it would probably need a whole regiment of volunteers , able to stay out in the "sticks" for weeks ,and I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, susieice said:

That could explain some of the present sightings in Australia, but not the thousands seen in the US, Canada, Tibet...I think they've been reported in Russia and China also.

I don't have a comment on other Yowie sightings, nor other large bipedal sightings around the world.

This sighting in this thread occurred in Beechmont Road, Witherton. Possibly near Canungra Army Base.

The height estimate?  How reliable are people?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1