Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yowie gave me nightmares, Qld truckie says

Commander CMG

15 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I can't decide whether its a caricature, or what ! That's the Gold Coast, I guess.

Up there,probably real.lol

7 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

the surrounding area (Gold Coast) in question is highly developed, lots of farm land and lightly forested. in fact most of Australia is desert and the forested areas and bushland are mostly coastal. actually id like to think that it would be lightly populated and highly forested areas like Canada, Russia and certain northern areas of the U.S. that could support a community of undocumented creatures.

I would suggest you have a read about the Great Dividing Range that stretches for almost 3700Km along the Eastern side of Australia. Dense forests from tropical to sub-tropical and miles upon miles of literaly uninhabited territory. More than enough space for a cryptid to live and survive without contact with any human.

Over half of Australias 25 million inhabitants live in the few coastal cities, once you get out of the cities, Australia is not particularly crowded.

7 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

I would suggest you have a read about the Great Dividing Range that stretches for almost 3700Km along the Eastern side of Australia. Dense forests from tropical to sub-tropical and miles upon miles of literaly uninhabited territory. More than enough space for a cryptid to live and survive without contact with any human.

Over half of Australias 25 million inhabitants live in the few coastal cities, once you get out of the cities, Australia is not particularly crowded.

There are some quite uninhabited areas along the Dividing Range, but this particular area, not so much. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There are some quite uninhabited areas along the Dividing Range, but this particular area, not so much. 

Well going by the OP's location of Beechmont Rd, Google Satelite view shows some extensive forested areas along with Lamington National Park a short walk South. Not that inhabited.

5 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Well going by the OP's location of Beechmont Rd, Google Satelite view shows some extensive forested areas along with Lamington National Park a short walk South. Not that inhabited.

It's certainly not suburbia, but there is quite a bit if human activity nevertheless.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It's certainly not suburbia, but there is quite a bit if human activity nevertheless.

True, but then as with most sightings of these cryptids from around the world the sighting are often just on the periphery of human activity. Outlying farms, country roads, backwoods hikers or hunters etc, and often close to or in the vicinity of conservation areas that have remained clear of human intrusion.

The Gold Coast region has its fair share of sighting from time to time. But then the aversion to drive after dark in many parts of Australia due to the nocturnal night life probabily also keeps the sighting relatively low. Stayed outside Toowoomba on a visit for a short while and it was flipping freeky driving the country roads when everything that can hop decides to cross the bloody road after dark.

22 minutes ago, Habitat said:

IMO if Bigfoot/Yowie/ Yeti etc. is a real creature he must live an at least partially subterranean existence.  Geologically it seems this area would be a good one for underground formations.

• Like 1

When I read things like this, I always think: I wonder how the insurance company reacts when he calls them saying: "A yowie has thumped my car causing a dent.".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

I haven't looked it up but, hell yeah, the population density in Australia is very low, similar to canada, siberia.  Vast tracts of unexplored land.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Folks, it's Australia. And people are reporting seeing a bigfoot like creature. 

Think about it for a minute. 

I've thought about it some bit already.  What's your point, OR?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

no where near the Gold Coast. but yes i guess a community of cryptids could live out there...

Next time, don't hit the brake and kill it, the corpse can be sold for millions ! or you can be arrested for murdering a tall guy in camo suit...

7 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Vast tracts of unexplored land.

Unexplored by the post-1770 blow ins maybe.

55 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

The evolutionary history of apes poses a major challenge to claims of an Australian ape.

Apes maybe, assuming its an ape of course, but the History of Hominins, thats a different thing altogether.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Timbergetters, wherever stands of millable timber existed, and gold prospectors, virtually combed every crevice of the Great Divide. Particularly the latter, and a long time ago. When the Great Depression caused people to go looking afresh for gold, very few new finds were made, confirming that the earlier prospectors had been very thorough. One can only think that the lack of reports from them, of large unknown animals, and a lot of those prospectors were armed, isn't supportive of "yowies"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, susieice said:

That could explain some of the present sightings in Australia, but not the thousands seen in the US, Canada, Tibet...I think they've been reported in Russia and China also.

An aweful lot of Canadian Hunters use gillie suits, especially the Archery hunters of which I am one. I have a gillie and my wife remarked that I looked like a young bigfoot. They are amazingly effective for hunting. Whether a rag or string gillie, I could see someone mistaking it for a Sasquatch. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Apes maybe, assuming its an ape of course, but the History of Hominins, thats a different thing altogether.

Hominins are apes. A giant hairy ape in Australia makes no sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

An aweful lot of Canadian Hunters use gillie suits, especially the Archery hunters of which I am one. I have a gillie and my wife remarked that I looked like a young bigfoot. They are amazingly effective for hunting. Whether a rag or string gillie, I could see someone mistaking it for a Sasquatch. 

Not safe to be hunting in that, Hank.

I remember years ago a woman hanging clothes in her back yard was shot by a hunter.  Sometimes those guys have a quick trigger finger.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

my wife remarked that I looked like a young bigfoot

I'd take that as a compliment,my mrs calls me an old ape,when I come out of the shower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not safe to be hunting in that, Hank.

I remember years ago a woman hanging clothes in her back yard was shot by a hunter.  Sometimes those guys have a quick trigger finger.  

That has always been in the back of my mind. To safe guard against being shot, All my sit spots and blinds are in areas where rifle hunting is verboten. I have no wish to be some hunters oops moment. Also I make a headband from fluorescent flagging tape. Amazing how animals think you're a tree. When I descented the suit and wore it for the first time, my faithful hunting dog and companion Scout, tried to pee on my leg. I scared the crap out of him when I protested.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

download1.jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Hankenhunter
See the blurry picture? Lol.
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Yep. You look like bigfoot alright. You'd scare me too if I saw you walking around in the woods. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1