Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret bank vault to be opened after 20 years

UM-Bot

Dangit, I was hoping for some First Edition Limited Issue Olivia Newton John vinyl Albums ...

~

• Like 2

I dont think it's what you have said its more likely to be  the ED-209  in Robocop "you got 20 seconds to comply"  :-)

Edited by Impedancer

Spent 6 years as a locksmith in Port Hardy. During my apprenticeship one of my jobs was opening old safes. As I wasn't learned enough to be trusted with our state of the art auto dialing safe opener. I had to do it the old fashioned way by looking up the make and model in the secret locksmiths safe cracking books, find the drill point, drill, then poke a special tool through and manipulate the gates to open it. I opened 4 small ones (3-400lbs) and 12 big old beasts that were as tall as me. The bigger they are, the easier. Never found much other than some change, old accounting papers, and a very nice shadow box of antique fishing flies. Most times the deal was customer keeps contents snd we get the safe for the opening fee. All the safes were sanded, painted, restored, then sold.  We made like bandits reselling the safes. I did meet an instructor at 3rd year school that opened an old safe from a demolition and found a very expensive coin collection. But again, contents to the owner, safe to the locksmith. Best part was watching people dancing in anticipation of the big find. They'd get closer, and closer, and I would have to stop ( no one but locksmiths are allowed to see the operation) and tell them to back up. Then the big let down when the safe was opened. Old safes are like Lotto Max, millions to one odds. Having peoples complete trust with there valuables was for me the best part of the job. Especially banks. I loved those huge old vault doors and fixing safety deposit boxes. 

• Like 4

On 1/27/2019 at 8:24 PM, third_eye said:

Dangit, I was hoping for some First Edition Limited Issue Olivia Newton John vinyl Albums ...

~

Unfortunately it's only been 20 years.

So it is more likely it will contain VHS copies of Armageddon and The Big LeBowski.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/locksmiths-will-open-the-doors-to-two-decade-mystery/news-story/09f34edd38eb1ab9b0c0e46edfb9de87

The door has been opened!

Shockingly the door does not open into a parallel Earth, nor does it contain a Stargate or even a stack of gold bars, hey ho