Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

YouTube to crack down on Conspiracy videos

26 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Following complaints over the number of unwelcome videos appearing in recommendations, the Google-owned site says it plans to try and banish them.

It says  'borderline' videos that come close to violating community guidelines or those which 'misinform users in a harmful way.' will now be excluded."

At the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6633959/YouTube-crack-conspiracy-videos-Site-says-no-longer-user-recommendations.html

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

... or those which 'misinform users in a harmful way.' will now be excluded."

That's gonna get a whole shelf full of aspirins flying off the cabinets ...

~

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That's gonna get a whole shelf full of aspirins flying off the cabinets ...

~

It's a conspiracy to silence doubters and whistleblowers!!!!!

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Eldorado said:

It's a conspiracy to silence doubters!!!!!

 

I very much doubt the doubters care enough to have conspiratorial doubts ....

~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien Origins

Well I wholeheartedly support the idea myself..It's time they weeded out all the hoaxers, fakers and scammers....Next they ought to start on the UFO section.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76

Good. Hopefully this will force enough people to realize youtube is just not a friendly place for many content creators, and will start using other platforms. Google will not be able to turn the internet into a place where information can be controlled like we are back in the cable TV days.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
31 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Well I wholeheartedly support the idea myself..It's time they weeded out all the hoaxers, fakers and scammers....Next they ought to start on the UFO section.

How long have you been an authoritarian that feels people shouldn't see the things they want to? What wrong has UFO video's ever done to you, or anyone you know of?

To me, if you are not breaking any laws, you should be able to create.

ETA- and if you are making said company money, it should be against the law to not give you your cut.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

Censorship no matter what the excuse it dumb.

"it's a private company", yes it's true but if you agree with the decision you are in essence agreeing with censorship. The company use to claim it's a platform for free speech. 

I do not watch any conspiracy channels either, but it seems like there is always another excuse for censorship so I'm sure my channels will be effected eventually. 

 

A fair note, they are not getting rid of the videos just making it so they are not recommended to users. But that would definitely hurt your channel. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Censorship no matter what the excuse it dumb.

"it's a private company", yes it's true but if you agree with the decision you are in essence agreeing with censorship. The company use to claim it's a platform for free speech. 

I do not watch any conspiracy channels either, but it seems like there is always another excuse for censorship so I'm sure my channels will be effected eventually. 

 

A fair note, they are not getting rid of the videos just making it so they are not recommended to users. But that would definitely hurt your channel. 

I'm sure by conspiracy they mean anything that disagrees with main streams narrative.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Good. Hopefully this will force enough people to realize youtube is just not a friendly place for many content creators, and will start using other platforms. Google will not be able to turn the internet into a place where information can be controlled like we are back in the cable TV days.

 

A lot of conspiracy channels aren't friendly.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien Origins
3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

How long have you been an authoritarian that feels people shouldn't see the things they want to? What wrong has UFO video's ever done to you, or anyone you know of?

To me, if you are not breaking any laws, you should be able to create.

ETA- and if you are making said company money, it should be against the law to not give you your cut.

 
Quote

How long have you been an authoritarian that feels people shouldn't see the things they want to?

I am not..I do not really care what people want to see...They are welcome to look at anything they want. But there is so much misleading info on You Tube and many are too lazy or just to plain ignorant to go searching to see if what is said is really true. And it should be apparent to all who even have a little common knowledge about UFOS is that the field is full of BS! 

 Conspiracy Theorists are the worlds worst at seeing things that are not actually happening...They have their own close minded idea of how things should or should not be...To them the sky is falling everyday! I thought religious people were whiners but they don't hold a candle to the Conspiracy Theorists. There is nothing wrong with a good conspiracy but at least have the facts to back it up.

With all that said, we all have a little conspiracy theorists in us.

Quote

To me, if you are not breaking any laws, you should be able to create.

I agree..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

A lot of conspiracy channels aren't friendly.

And many are, so what? Many are not even conspiracy channels, they just don't swallow the liberal agenda, so they are labeled and lied about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
52 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

I am not..I do not really care what people want to see...They are welcome to look at anything they want. But there is so much misleading info on You Tube and many are too lazy or just to plain ignorant to go searching to see if what is said is really true. And it should be apparent to all who even have a little common knowledge about UFOS is that the field is full of BS! 

I can agree with that. Its why for the most part I choose not to watch them. Who is anyone to say others shouldn't though?

52 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

 Conspiracy Theorists are the worlds worst at seeing things that are not actually happening...They have their own close minded idea of how things should or should not be...To them the sky is falling everyday! I thought religious people were whiners but they don't hold a candle to the Conspiracy Theorists. There is nothing wrong with a good conspiracy but at least have the facts to back it up.

On the other hand I've seen many people grow after a few years of watching such channels, and seeing that much of it never comes to fruition. They are often the most wise among us with a healthy skepticism of all forms of media.   

52 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

With all that said, we all have a little conspiracy theorists in us.

I agree..

Live and let live I say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I'm sure by conspiracy they mean anything that disagrees with main streams narrative.

Exactly, that is how censorship goes, it starts out with little things that people do not care about and then expands from there. Once you except censorship in one form what is to stop you from accepting it in other forms? 

For example, what if 20 years from now they count something like the Hillary Clinton email scandal as a conspiracy? Or Trumps lawyer paying off Stormy Daniels during the election?

 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener

A youtube spokesbot stated that.. 

".. We want to remove fake, misleading and disturbing stories from our channels, such as fake news like Brexit being good, immigrants being bad, and Donald Trump NOT being evil incarnate. Such fantasies disturb our Liberal Utopia, and must be banned forthwith, less they confuse The People and divert them away from The Truth. "

And thus it begins. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
58 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

A youtube spokesbot stated that.. 

".. We want to remove fake, misleading and disturbing stories from our channels, such as fake news like Brexit being good, immigrants being bad, and Donald Trump NOT being evil incarnate. Such fantasies disturb our Liberal Utopia, and must be banned forthwith, less they confuse The People and divert them away from The Truth. "

And thus it begins. 

lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7
4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:
5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

A youtube spokesbot stated that.. 

".. We want to remove fake, misleading and disturbing stories from our channels, such as fake news like Brexit being good, immigrants being bad, and Donald Trump NOT being evil incarnate. Such fantasies disturb our Liberal Utopia, and must be banned forthwith, less they confuse The People and divert them away from The Truth. "

And thus it begins. 

lol

Although hilarious, come on now, all of a sudden getting rid of the ludicrous tripe!?!?!? surely this is conspiracy by the mighty goop-tube crew and is all made up right!?!?!?  If not what are the special ones to do with their spare time? Woe to the bored special kids club kids then eh!??!!?!; what about the creationists?, this is a travesty , how are they to keep pseudo-science diatribe up that we all started out 1000 years ago or whatever and what about Scientology? sarc! why this is sacrilegious to the free speech of the enlightened ones out there right?!!??!!??! ! they'll all be up in arms about this.  Oh woe to the bigfoot clans.

 

 

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

The Reptilians can't stand the click baits ...

~

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma

let the crap flow i say! i class a lot of the pathetic rot i see on youtube as nothing more than mild entertainment.............

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

They're not proposing to censor anything. The 'conspiracy' videos will not be removed. All that will happen is that people who merely want to view reputable videos on any given subject will not thereafter have conspiracy videos recommended to them. If someone wants to request videos saying the Earth is flat, or that we never went to the Moon, they will still be able to view these on YouTube.          

YouTube went to some thought and trouble to strike a reasonable balance between not promoting misleading videos, while protecting the freedom of speech.  I applaud them for their corporate responsibility, even if it did take them quite some time to get around to exercising it. Nothing worthwhile or important is accomplished quickly, it seems...  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
On 1/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, RoofGardener said:

A youtube spokesbot stated that.. 

".. We want to remove fake, misleading and disturbing stories from our channels, such as fake news like Brexit being good, immigrants being bad, and Donald Trump NOT being evil incarnate. Such fantasies disturb our Liberal Utopia, and must be banned forthwith, less they confuse The People and divert them away from The Truth. "

And thus it begins. 

Perhaps more dimensions to the user interactions, rather than thumbs up or down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
On 1/28/2019 at 5:01 AM, bison said:

They're not proposing to censor anything. The 'conspiracy' videos will not be removed. All that will happen is that people who merely want to view reputable videos on any given subject will not thereafter have conspiracy videos recommended to them. If someone wants to request videos saying the Earth is flat, or that we never went to the Moon, they will still be able to view these on YouTube.          

YouTube went to some thought and trouble to strike a reasonable balance between not promoting misleading videos, while protecting the freedom of speech.  I applaud them for their corporate responsibility, even if it did take them quite some time to get around to exercising it. Nothing worthwhile or important is accomplished quickly, it seems...  

Indeed. Video's marked up as conspiracy - or right-wing - will be filtered out ! 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
On 1/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, Alien Origins said:

Well I wholeheartedly support the idea myself..It's time they weeded out all the hoaxers, fakers and scammers....Next they ought to start on the UFO section.

Youtube did it to themselves. They have never been a serious sight to me when doing research on Ghost, UFO's Bigfoot etc.. I have been looking for "real Ghost sightings" before trying to find videos that would even catch my attention, only to see some guy wrapped in something all white and with a hard on walk in front of the screen, or the rick rolls, hoaxes etc.. etc..

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7

RoofGardener quote: " Indeed. Video's marked up as conspiracy - or right-wing - will be filtered out !" I shouldn't laugh because that's actually true.  That whole techie state down there any of the sites, if one touches or hints of conservative or breaths anything negative to off the wall morals and ethics THE PURPLE HAIRED DELETE MONSTER STOPS BY AND ITS DELETED! and nobody is the wiser.

Edited by MWoo7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AustinHinton

Good. I've seen kids who think evolution is a "liberal conspiracy" because some douche on YouTube said it was. :unsure: These people prey on the impressionable youth (and nitwits who abhor "mainstream" science). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.