Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enormous cavity found under Thwaites Glacier

Still Waters

The US icebreaker Nathaniel B Palmer leaves Punta Arenas in Chile on Tuesday to begin an expedition to Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier.

The huge ice stream in West Antarctica is currently melting, and scientists want to understand its likely future contribution to sea-level rise.

If all of Thwaites' frozen bulk were to give way, it would add 80cm to the height of the world's oceans.

"How much, how fast? That's our mantra," said Dr Robert Larter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47030057

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Related:

Scientists Have Detected an Enormous Cavity Growing Beneath Antarctica

a gigantic cavity growing under West Antarctica that scientists say covers two-thirds the footprint of Manhattan and stands almost 300 metres (984 ft) tall.

This huge opening at the bottom of the Thwaites Glacier – a mass infamously dubbed the "most dangerous glacier in the world" – is so big it represents an overt chunk of the estimated 252 billion tonnes of ice Antarctica loses every year.

https://www.sciencealert.com/giant-void-identified-under-antarctica-reveals-a-monumental-hidden-ice-retreat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Enormous cavity found under Thwaites Glacier

Well I live at 9’ above sea level, 4 miles from the beach. If this happens I’ll be oceanfront and my condos value will skyrocket!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanchez710 said:

I have no idea how big Manhattan is, could someone enlighten me please?

Roughly 23 sq miles..

• Thanks 1

All that means is that Thwaites glacier has floated off its grounding line.  The seaward end of it is now floating.  That's usually the first step in the breakup of a glacier.  Next, large icebergs will calve from the front side until the sea reaches the grounded ice.  Ice flow will then increase due to the reduced resistance from grounded ice to seaward.  The land-based side will thin as ice-flow increases - and more icebergs are produced.

With continental glaciers, that's as far as we've come, so far.  We'll have to wait and see what happens next.

Doug

P.S.:  it's possible that the ice will readvance to the old terminal moraine and re-ground itself.  Stay tuned.

Doug

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...