Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orb or dust?

JrzGirl

11 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

If you can't easily find an example, then it's a good sign you're a paranormalist.

It shouldn't be that hard.

A skeptic can also be a paranormalist. It requires a convincing quantity, quality and consistency of analyzed evidence though.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

It shouldn't be that hard.

A skeptic can also be a paranormalist. It requires a convincing quantity, quality and consistency of analyzed evidence though.

A paranormalist cannot be a skeptic because they ignore evidence in favor of their personal bias.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Carnoferox said:

A paranormalist cannot be a skeptic because they ignore evidence in favor of their personal bias.

How are you defining a 'paranormalist' then?

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

How are you defining a 'paranormalist' then?

As I said earlier:

48 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

A paranormalist always defaults to the paranormal explanation even when the evidence suggests otherwise.

1 hour ago, JrzGirl said:

She’ve had this camera since she has moved in. Camera would work fine and would notify when there is someone moving in the house, physically. But why would it all of a sudden go off ?

Because a bug flew right in front of it at the right angle to reflect back on the IR sensor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

As I said earlier:

Then I am definitely  not a ‘paranormalist’ by that definition.

Edited by papageorge1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Then I am definitely  not a ‘paranormalist’ by that definition.

I and many others would disagree with you on that. Paranormalist is the best term I can think of to describe your way of thinking.

8 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

I and many others would disagree with you on that. Paranormalist is the best term I can think of to describe your way of thinking.

The word’s fine as I would define it as:

one who believes the paranormal exists beyond reasonable doubt from consideration of the quantity, quality and consistency of the evidence.

Then I would accept the label. Not the ‘why do you beat your wife’ definition you gave.

And I’ll give you that example when I have a computer (not a phone).

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The word’s fine as I would define it as:

one who believes the paranormal exists beyond reasonable doubt from consideration of the quantity, quality and consistency of the evidence.

Then I would accept the label. Not the ‘why do you beat your wife’ definition you gave.

And I’ll give you that example when I have a computer (not a phone).

By either definition it's still more accurate than calling yourself a skeptic.

By either definition it's still more accurate than calling yourself a skeptic.

Can one be a skeptic and an evolutionist?

Yes.

Then one can be a skeptic and a paranormalist (my definition).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Then one can be a skeptic and a paranormalist (my definition).

By your definition, but not by mine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

consistency of the evidence.

Let me debunk your Atlantis "theory" with 2 geological terms.

"Central Pangean Mountains"

"Central Atlantic Magmatic Province"

So what were you saying??? :whistle:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Let me debunk your Atlantis "theory" with 2 geological terms.

"Central Pangean Mountains"

"Central Atlantic Magmatic Province"

So what were you saying??? :whistle:

Talk about coming from left field...... 

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Talk about coming from left field...... 

You said "consistency of evidence". :whistle:

So is it true that I'm half Atlantean and half Hebrew?

It did come from one of your "valid" psychic sources. :yes:

• Like 1

I'll just say this. I've been using game cams for three years near a swamp. I have never had my cams go off yet for bugs. Only rats, birds, bats or bigger. I dont know about the ops cam. Maybe the op could share the make and model?

• Like 1

Hi, JrzGirl.

While I appreciate your answering questions and assuring us of how real this is.. a good troll would do exactly that!  So forgive the cynicism, as I say that I too am having significant problems with the appearance of that 'orb'.

My misgivings will be alleviated if your friend would be good enough to elaborate on the setup being used - could you please get them to answer these questions, please?

1. Model of camera or security system being used.  I know it's a Samsung but they have an enormous range of widely differing equipment.

2. The mode being used on the camera - ie is this a 'nighshot' mode, IR or what?

3. The software being used (if any - that would only apply if it's a camera that has been adapted for this purpose, not if it's a security system..)

4. {Optional, I know I'm pushing it here} what are the criteria for the camera to start recording, and how does it then record the footage?  Ie does it detect movement and then record video, or are they 'time-lapse' images, ie one image every .5 second or similar?}

FTR, I too have significant problems with the very precise and regular appearance of the orb, the fact that it leaves a strange trail effect that is inconsistent with it being video footage, and that the path it takes looks rather 'geometric'....  I have more issues, but I'll keep them to myself for the moment and wait to see if you/your friend is going to come clean answer the questions fully...

B)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Backscatter.

•  
  •  
  •  
  • In photography, backscatter is an optical phenomenon resulting in typically circular artifacts on an image, due to the camera's flash being reflected from unfocused motes of dust, water droplets, or other particles in the air or water. It is especially common with modern compact and ultra-compact digital cameras.  WIKIPEDIA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

@JrzGirl

What is your opinion on the video you posted? Do you think a paranormal explanation is most likely?

I believe there is something paranormal about it. Specially after all the things she has experienced in her apartment. I still don’t understand how dust can move like that or what kind of bug would do that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Hi, JrzGirl.

While I appreciate your answering questions and assuring us of how real this is.. a good troll would do exactly that!  So forgive the cynicism, as I say that I too am having significant problems with the appearance of that 'orb'.

My misgivings will be alleviated if your friend would be good enough to elaborate on the setup being used - could you please get them to answer these questions, please?

1. Model of camera or security system being used.  I know it's a Samsung but they have an enormous range of widely differing equipment.

2. The mode being used on the camera - ie is this a 'nighshot' mode, IR or what?

3. The software being used (if any - that would only apply if it's a camera that has been adapted for this purpose, not if it's a security system..)

4. {Optional, I know I'm pushing it here} what are the criteria for the camera to start recording, and how does it then record the footage?  Ie does it detect movement and then record video, or are they 'time-lapse' images, ie one image every .5 second or similar?}

FTR, I too have significant problems with the very precise and regular appearance of the orb, the fact that it leaves a strange trail effect that is inconsistent with it being video footage, and that the path it takes looks rather 'geometric'....  I have more issues, but I'll keep them to myself for the moment and wait to see if you/your friend is going to come clean answer the questions fully...

B)

I will get those answers as soon as I can. 

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Hi, JrzGirl.

B)

1. It’s a Samsung SmartCam.

2. Was used in night mode. 

3. Works with WiFi, which she can access it through the app on her Android. 

4. Reason she recorded is because the app kept alerting her about Movement or motion detected . She opened the app to see what was happening and didn’t see anything. Ignored it the first few times, but it kept saying there was movement detected. So that was when she decided to record it and see what was happening. You have an option to record from the app, but can record 30s at a time.  

She has been skeptical about it, but the things she has experienced makes her think otherwise. 

7 hours ago, JrzGirl said:

I believe there is something paranormal about it. Specially after all the things she has experienced in her apartment. I still don’t understand how dust can move like that or what kind of bug would do that.

I happen to agree with you in this particular case but even more importantly you stuck to how you rationally feel about the entire case and not gotten bullied by the 'only scientific answers are cool' mentality by the more vocal majority on this forum.

You can probably feel by now certain members on principle will never allow oxygen to hit the 'a spirit may appear as an orb' possibility. I just saw an insinuation above that you may be a 'troll'. For what? And for why?? You might want to think how much attention is worth giving that person.

It's psychologically interesting (but another subject) how people probably maturely acting in probably about all of life situations have their maturity level crumble when someone stands up for their beliefs in paranormal possibilities. (Probably they are seeing way too much to keep their concern that they are behind the times following a post-dated worldview in mature check.)

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I happen to agree with you in this particular case but even more importantly you stuck to how you rationally feel about the entire case and not gotten bullied by the 'only scientific answers are cool' mentality by the more vocal majority on this forum.

You can probably feel by now certain members on principle will never allow oxygen to hit the 'a spirit may appear as an orb' possibility. I just saw an insinuation above that you may be a 'troll'. For what? And for why?? You might want to think how much attention is worth giving that person.

It's psychologically interesting (but another subject) how people probably maturely acting in probably about all of life situations have their maturity level crumble when someone stands up for their beliefs in paranormal possibilities. (Probably they are seeing way too much to keep their concern that they are behind the times following a post-dated worldview in mature check.)

Thank you! Very appreciated. I too was a bit confused with the “troll” naming.

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

It's psychologically interesting (but another subject) how people probably maturely acting in probably about all of life situations have their maturity level crumble when someone stands up for their beliefs in paranormal possibilities

It's much like dealing with a ten year old who obstinately insists Santa Claus really does exist, despite all the evidence his peers present to the contrary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1