Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orb or dust?

JrzGirl

Thanks for all that, JrzGirl.

6 hours ago, JrzGirl said:

1. It’s a Samsung SmartCam.

Really, I'd need the model number - they've gone through quite a few iterations...

2. Was used in night mode.

OK, so it has built-in IR LEDs to Illuminate the scene.  So far so good.

3. Works with WiFi, which she can access it through the app on her Android.

OK, that clarifies it..

4. Reason she recorded is because the app kept alerting her about Movement or motion detected . She opened the app to see what was happening and didn’t see anything. Ignored it the first few times, but it kept saying there was movement detected. So that was when she decided to record it and see what was happening. You have an option to record from the app, but can record 30s at a time.

Right.  So that means either something ELSE triggered it, as when the recording starts there is nothing moving, OR the camera has a built-in memory delay where it can retrieve the footage it was temporarily recording, before the actual movement event..  Do you see why we need to know the model of the camera to check what it can do? - the sequence of events is important.  The recording is obviously a video, which makes me wonder about the following issues:

- first up, the 'trails are just weird - the anomaly has the look of being reasonably distant (I may elaborate on that later - there are several clues), yet it has all the hallmarks of being out of focus - that doesn't gel with the fact that virtually everything else in shot, from very close items to distant ones, are *all* in relatively good focus..

- the anomaly isn't varying in brightness (and isn't all that bright anyway) yet it leaves lots of after-images, that seem to be 'frozen' briefly?  That makes little sense, although I'd like to see other footage showing bugs - maybe the camera causes that effect via too-slow shutterspeed?  It's not one I've seen before in this type of footage ... *except* in faked footage..  Note that adding a moving object like an 'orb' is one of the first tutorials when you learn video-editing.

- the trails are also suspiciously inconsistent - note they vary quite suddenly just as the 'anomaly' traverses an abrupt change in background color?  That sounds a LOT like the sort of effect you get in video editing software if you are not very good at it....  There are also some odd jpeg compression artefacts that may suggest editing, but because Youtube does such an awful job of re-compressing videos, I can't be sure.

- it looks like a bug given it's relatively rapid and straight line-ish movement, yet that movement seems to be perfectly along 3 geometric paths..  I guess it's possible, but it is unlikely.  And if it is dust, then again, such nice neat paths are 'unusual'.

She has been skeptical about it, but the things she has experienced makes her think otherwise. 

Hearsay is interesting (especially to folks like papa), but not really worth anything.  She may have an evil friend and be unaware of what was done, she may be just having a joke with you...  Or you might have faked it (but if you did, your story-telling is of a very high standard, so congrats!).

Really, we can only go by the footage.

Anyway, thanks for being polite and helping out with the info - I hope you are still polite after this!  Note that I have other issues with the footage, but without full access to the original video on original media, and also screenshots of the notifications she got along with timings so we can verify the timeline and whether there was opportunity for editing, etc, there's little point in agonising.  It could be a bug or dust (I have my doubts), or it could be faked.  If it had any characteristics that somehow suggested paranormalcy (which it does not, despite some eager folks wishes) then I'd spend more time..  And I'd echo the thoughts of others about your friend needing to calm the farm... it sounds like she is a 'true believer' and may be unaware of how what she is saying/doing is freaking out her children.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's much like dealing with a ten year old who obstinately insists Santa Claus really does exist, despite all the evidence his peers present to the contrary.

OK, if this is all at the level of Santa Claus in your estimation. 

Or your comment may be just an example of the point I was making.

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

OK, if this is all at the level of Santa Claus in your estimation. 

Or your comment may be just an example of the point I was making.

Everything is not at that level, life is full of mysteries to explore and solve. One need not resort to willful ignorance in order to enjoy that exploration. Orbs are no mystery in the field of photography. One has to ignore that field of knowledge in order for them to be "mysterious". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

So that means either something ELSE triggered it,

Ummm... actually this not true. No one was home at the moment. 

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

the trails are also suspiciously inconsistent - note they vary quite suddenly just as the 'anomaly' traverses an abrupt change in background color?  That sounds a LOT like the sort of effect you get in video editing software if you are not very good at it.

I have no clue how to edit or even start editing a video. Neither does my friend. I can assure you that. With kids, that is the last thing we want to spend our free time doing. I gave the original videos she messaged me before posting it on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

earsay is interesting (especially to folks like papa), but not really worth anything.  She may have an evil friend and be unaware of what was done, she may be just having a joke with you...  Or you might have faked it (but if you did, your story-telling is of a very high standard, so congrats!).

I respect your opinions and comments. This is something I don’t play around with, neither does my best friend. Like I mentioned before, we have no clue in how to edit videos, neither the time for this. I do have an open mind for everything. 

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

it sounds like she is a 'true believer' and may be unaware of how what she is saying/doing is freaking out her children.

She does not want to believe it, because she lives there. She is trying to do the least possible in scaring her kids and trying to find a scientific explanation in the things that has happened to her AND her kids. She doesn’t want them to get more scared. So I HIGHLY doubt she is UNAWARE of doing something to scare her OWN children.

It looks like dust or a maybe a fiber. The vents also look to be close to the ceiling. Could be the heat turned on and cause some dust to be stirred up.

31 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

It looks like dust or a maybe a fiber. The vents also look to be close to the ceiling. Could be the heat turned on and cause some dust to be stirred up.

Yes, that’s what we had thought at first, but why wouldn’t there be more dust particles flying around just like that ONE. 

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Everything is not at that level, life is full of mysteries to explore and solve. One need not resort to willful ignorance in order to enjoy that exploration. Orbs are no mystery in the field of photography. One has to ignore that field of knowledge in order for them to be "mysterious". 

You mean there can’t be spirit orbs because there are some claimed ‘known’ orbs in photography?

Orb just means round shape. I would think many things can appear in that shape and some psychic and paranormal people I respect say a spirit entity can take that shape.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

You mean there can’t be spirit orbs because there are some claimed ‘known’ orbs in photography?

Orb just means round shape. I would think many things can appear in that shape and some psychic and paranormal people I respect say a spirit entity can take that shape.

When one produces such a spirit for you and you see it and experience it with your own eyes and own senses, without having to be told about it or having to read what someone else wrote about it, come back and chat with us. Otherwise, using that kind of rationale, one could persuade oneself A Sausage Party was a true story.

Looks like a typical dust/bug orb to me, out of focus and lit by the IR beam of the camera, wafting around on air currents.

It's nothing to worry about. Even if other "stuff" is going on it the house, there's no reason to think it's related. Even the most demon infested houses have dust and bugs.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Carnoferox said:

Post the link to a thread where you thought a non-paranormal explanation was most likely.

I have access again to a computer (not a phone).

Video of 'haunted swing' goes viral           The Papa is post #2....skeptic as all get out!

• Like 1

heh.. tell you what. .when someone shows me a spirit orb that has been taken in a room with no insects or dust etc I may.. just may start to believe..

my Ex wife used to believe in spirit orbs in photos.. would take photos every night and ooh and ahh at it.. and of course her believer friends and their resident 'psychic' said it was the spirits of family etc around her..

so I got one of those dust extractors you get to clean your air at home.. kicked her out of her room.. did not let her back in there till the evening.. but sprayed for insects before letting her in.. 

strange.. that no orbs that night..

of course the believers said it was because I have negative energy etc (yet its the same people who say I am really good at reiki healing :P, found it the best way to get laid when dealing with believers ;) )

luckily she has given her belief in spirit orbs up.. yet not of spirits.. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2019 at 1:58 PM, Hankenhunter said:

I'll just say this. I've been using game cams for three years near a swamp. I have never had my cams go off yet for bugs. Only rats, birds, bats or bigger. I dont know about the ops cam. Maybe the op could share the make and model?

I'm guessing there is something in the setup of the cameras

https://homerestored.com/2016/05/19/are-insects-and-weather-triggering-your-security-cameras-motion-detection/

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Spirit orbs have a distinction about them that sets them apart from your typical bug or speck of dust. Orbs have a fluidity and mass that can be affected by movement and airflow. As they move, they change shape by the air currents around them much like a person's hair will move when they walk. Dust doesn't seem likely in the video shown here because there's no other dust particles and with the ceiling fan stationary, the dust shouldn't be moving that quickly. My money is on this being a bug. Bugs retain their shape and often have a more erratic way of moving, so the stop and start movement in the video makes sense as an insect. That's my opinion for what very little it's worth. 

On 30/01/2019 at 4:17 PM, JrzGirl said:

I am posting this on behalf of my best friend. She recently shared with me that she has been experiencing some weird activities in her apartment. She has a small Samsung camera placed in her living room for security purposes. Camera will detect if there is movement and will send a alert to your phone stating Movement has been detected. Which is why she recorded this. She stated she kept getting constant notification about movement being detected, but no one was in the house at the moment. Besides this recording, she had stuff being moved and at some point, thrown. Her youngest child is now currently scared to be in her room, because she states that something scares her. Her oldest child also claimed that his poster was knocked down while he was in his room. She had her son run to her room one evening stating he saw a shadow fly over him. She is very scared about all that is happening, specially since the children are getting scared as well. She has not mentioned anything to kids about ghost to avoid scaring them more. What do you guys think? Any idea what appears in the video? This was currently posted on YouTube by her. Any help or tips would greatly help. Thanks!

That is an energy ball...I filmed one years ago...they are drones from the future spying on us...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AXJ said:

That is an energy ball...I filmed one years ago...they are drones from the future spying on us...

Nah, it's a manipulated artifact imposed on the original footage. Nice try though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AXJ said:

In that case my house has millions of future energy ball spy drones in it :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Essan said:

In that case my house has millions of future energy ball spy drones in it :D 

Let's not jest...this is a very sensitive top secret matter...just don't swallow one...

• Haha 1