Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any Mushroom Hunters?

HandsomeGorilla

So I've just been invited on a shrooming vacation! A girl at work who loves much of the same things I do - spiders, snakes, other various critters - also loves mushrooms. My interest has been rekindled a lot for various reasons, so I'm really excited to go this spring. It'll be a true camping experience where we'll also forage for food and fish, also.

We're really hoping to find some wild, true morels! Anything of culinary value will be awesome, though, really. We're not really looking for the ones that make you meet aliens and ****. Or are we? Hell knows.

There's also an endangered spider species I'd love to find and document, if possible. Itd be a real service to arachnology if I could find them extant in this particular geographic range. They would need to update the range maps, if so. I'd love to be the one able to make that happen. 

Anyone else ever shroom? What kind are you favorites? Any tips? Tricks? How do you cook your favorites? It's been a while since I've been, and at the time, I was looking for... Much different mushrooms. Yea. 

• Like 3

I shroom whenever I'm in the woods. Cant tell you much without the location you're  heading to. Piney would be a good mushroom man to talk to.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 3

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

There are certain mushrooms I LOVE

Lots of fun

We tried having THAT conversation here long ago...

We got shutdown :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oops, forgot to tell you. Put a small frying pan and a container of garlic butter in your day pack. You can thank me later.:)

• Like 4

We get morels on our land in N. Michigan.....dark ones and much larger "white" ones.   I like them smashed and WELL done in butter with onion powder and salt and pepper.    Some people like them barely cooked..for their "delicate" flavor....I like em golden brown and crispy. ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Oops, forgot to tell you. Put a small frying pan and a container of garlic butter in your day pack. You can thank me later.:)

Oh that's what I fully intend to do. Hopefully can snag a few trout and cook them and some mushrooms in butter. I hope I can get by on only what I catch and forage for, that's the whole idea. She's wanting to take all kinda food, though. What for?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Oh that's what I fully intend to do. Hopefully can snag a few trout and cook them and some mushrooms in butter. I hope I can get by on only what I catch and forage for, that's the whole idea. She's wanting to take all kinda food, though. What for?

She's  a smart woman. Always be prepared, even if it's just a bag of trail mix. You can always bring it back home. Hug your lady for being smart. Also, don't forget to tell someone where your going and when you'll be back.

I'm an avid mushroom hunter and have been for years. I only go for mushrooms with culinary use, however, so I can't and won't speak of psychoactive ones. In terms of culinary, though, mushrooming is great as long as you're educated and very very careful. Remember that rules of thumb are stupid and will get you killed.

What area of the world are you in? I can point you towards area-appropriate resources.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

She's  a smart woman. Always be prepared, even if it's just a bag of trail mix. You can always bring it back home. Hug your lady for being smart. Also, don't forget to tell someone where your going and when you'll be back.

Haha, I was being a little facetious; of course we'll atleast bring along a few things to be on the safe side. We evolved past the hunter gatherer lifestyle for a reason, biggest one being is that nothing is guaranteed! We're gonna have a blast, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podo said:

I'm an avid mushroom hunter and have been for years. I only go for mushrooms with culinary use, however, so I can't and won't speak of psychoactive ones. In terms of culinary, though, mushrooming is great as long as you're educated and very very careful. Remember that rules of thumb are stupid and will get you killed.

What area of the world are you in? I can point you towards area-appropriate resources.

We'll be going to southeast Tennessee, maybe northwest North Carolina; Great Smoky Mountain range. 

Yea, she knows nothing about nor has any interest in anything psychoactive. That's just me. I'm only looking for advice on mushrooms of culinary value, namely so this thread doesn't get locked!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:18 PM, Hankenhunter said:

I shroom whenever I'm in the woods. Cant tell you much without the location you're  heading to. Piney would be a good mushroom man to talk to.

Herbs and plant uses, but not shrooms. I just use to go after morels. Fried in cast iron with Amish sweet cream butter and chopped garlic and onions. :yes:

• Like 3

My favourite is Chantarelles be careful on what you pick since there exist many poisonous mushrooms speices only pick the ones your 100% can indentify :-) Im sure you knew that :-)

• Like 2

On 2019-02-01 at 6:49 PM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I'm only looking for advice on mushrooms of culinary value, namely so this thread doesn't get locked!

List of links:

• https://www.mushroomexpert.com/
  • Buy the book "Mushrooms Demystified"
  • Buy the book "All that the Rain Promises, and More!" 
  • Buy the book "The Savoury Wild Mushroom, second edition"

Once you have these, study them. Study study study. Pick mushrooms at least a dozen times, 100% confidently, before you eat anything. Exhaust every identification method before you ID something; it needs texture, colour, smell, location, time of year, and spore print to be a proper ID. Not one or two of those things, all of those things. There are mushrooms that look very similar to other mushrooms that will kill you; the lazy mushroom hunter will easily mistake a Trichloma murrmurrilanium for an Amanita smithiana, which will kill you. Also, always use the latin names, because common names are usually extremely variable and unhelpful.

This is not a hobby for the lazy or the non-thorough. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Podo said:

This is not a hobby for the lazy or the non-thorough. 

Great! Im an overly-analytical workaholic :lol:

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I tend to immerse myself when things catch my interest, so these resources will be put to good use.

It looks like a trip with the young lady is off. I met her husband, who just introduced himself. Later I get a message from her that he said, "I don't mean any harm, but there's no way in hell you're going with her. And if she decides to go, anyway, you can keep her"

Wasn't expecting that, but I plan on going by myself, anyway! 

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

• Haha 2

Looks like the makings for a  good book.  """"""" Epic Mushrooms etc. battles or such.

Edited by MWoo7

19 hours ago, Impedancer said:

My favourite is Chantarelles be careful on what you pick since it exist many poisonous mushrooms speices only pick the ones you 100% can indentify :-) Im sure you knew that :-)

There is even courses in Mushroom picking, i have never been on one was tought by my uncle to spot the most common ones. ( In Sweden )I was also tought to always be 100% sure on what you have picked and even if you're sure always check and re-check :-) I know it sounds silly to take a course but  It is actually a great idea. 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

Shaggy Manes '

. . .oh FYI:::: a quick little soaking in brine or  salt  bath before tossing in skillet so you don't see them squiggling and yelling for help. (the fun little things inside the mushrooms)  Don't worry the heat of your wok will help knock them out too.  What!?!?! you don't use a wok, SIMPLY SACRILEGIOUS !

Oh, thanks for all the awards/likes and happy smileys >>

Edited by MWoo7

2 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Great! Im an overly-analytical workaholic :lol:

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I tend to immerse myself when things catch my interest, so these resources will be put to good use.

It looks like a trip with the young lady is off. I met her husband, who just introduced himself. Later I get a message from her that he said, "I don't mean any harm, but there's no way in hell you're going with her. And if she decides to go, anyway, you can keep her"

Wasn't expecting that, but I plan on going by myself, anyway! 

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I don't really blame him, If my wife went on a weekend camping trip alone with a guy I didn't know I would be uncomfortable too lol. (don't have a wife but theoretically) 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...