Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Silver pill-shaped UFO filmed near Greensboro

UM-Bot

On 2/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, the13bats said:

It does, the more i watch the video the worse it gets, im a gear head my car is a 1969 with old glass fuses by the early 80s they were phasing out glass fuses and you got me thinking  it also looks like some dome light bulbs, still being used in some cars, and other lighting.

20190202_182624.jpg.6089840919641fd075add1bc17fc4123.jpg20190202_182600.jpg.3da2677e6498b3ba227e240d8047a07f.jpg20190202_182531.jpg.d90cab5a4890b0851adce63451aafc5d.jpg

Heres the full fleet....

Interesting, if not for the difficulty of throwing one of these into the air and having it hover for you ...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Another great UFO Pic!

The "video"? , i hardly see it as "great".

14 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Interesting, if not for the difficulty of throwing one of these into the air and having it hover for you ...

I see you only read part of what i have posted, Um, no not difficult at all, because the object in the OP video has a teather which very well could be a wire of support,  i from my other hobby interest have "line" which will support a bulb and will not be seen even in a better focused shot than in the video.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

The "video"? , i hardly see it as "great".

I see you only read part of what i have posted, Um, no not difficult at all, because the object in the OP video has a teather which very well could be a wire of support,  i from my other hobby interest have "line" which will support a bulb and will not be seen even in a better focused shot than in the video.

And it's dead easy to use a little blu-tack and stick the item to the inside of your car window - I've demonstrated this technique before, in order to duplicate a past misidentification or deliberate hoax, where the UFO was merely something on the person's windscreen.

• Thanks 1

I captured this object. Appreciate all the comments. I am oddly okay with all the criticism as well. This is truly one of those moments that did not last long and I did not have my camera set up properly to do manual focusing and I knew that. Honestly thought I captured nothing because I did not see any flash in the viewfinder at any point.

There is a switch to easily go to manual focus without looking, but the problem is I did not have guidelines set up to show where I was on the focus range. This combined with the lens being fly by wire meant I really had no chance if I went manual. Not a fan of fly by wire focus on lenses. I tested it out some in the past and found it too difficult. I have been relying on the terrible GH5 autofocus. 

I tried to capture something odd in the sky about a month before and I captured absolutely nothing because I tried to switch the focus setting to something a bit different really fast. In the heat of the moment you get what you get. I have plenty of experience using a camera in full manual mode. I do not believe lessons will make me understand photography or videography any better. Practice and more experience will benefit me though.

Since capturing this thing, I have set up the guidlines again for manual focus, simple menu setting but takes a couple seconds at least to get to it and change it. Also have tested it out on things further than a mile away and it works wonders for focusing on those things. Still not instant because of the physics of it all, but it is better than nothing. Captured some video of the ISS flying overhead earlier this evening and still had some issues nailing the focus. Miss my manual focus lenses that don’t use fly by wire. One big benefit to fly by wire and micro four thirds is that it cuts the size and weight of the setup considerably.

Not sure if most people realize the difficulty of aiming a telephoto lens with the 35mm equivalent focal length of 1177mm. It takes practice. About a month before I captured this object I got into taking photos and videos of birds. I can thank my brother in law for that.

Anyways back to the object, I am leaving the door open as to what it is. My initial impression is otherworldly, and I think that is a real possibility. I think being open minded includes leaving the door open to the possibility that it is something different than a balloon. Balloon is very dismissive and basically states definitively that it must be that. In a world where nothing else exists like it, and there are no unexplainable things, balloon seems to be the most likely explanation. The problem with this is that the world and universe have countless unexplainable things. The minute you shut the door on it possibly being something unexplainable you have decided that it is in fact not possible to be one of those unexplainable things. Put simply, until there is verifiable evidence that it has to be a balloon, my mind is open to the idea that it is not.

The main reasons I think this is something otherworldly is the tone changes and random, but in sequence flashing that happens within a fraction of a second. This coupled with my experience of seeing it, makes me think it is something otherworldly. I have seen videos of objects that look similar, some even having what looks like a tether captured from the ISS feed. I cannot dismiss this possibility.

This is very similar to Omuamua and the prominent astronomer Avi Loeb who says you cannot rule out alien craft and asks anyone to prove him wrong. He does take a stance, but if he did not take that stance, then there would not be nearly the amount of speculation as there is now about Omuamua.

I made a follow up video that talks about the distance of the object. Will likely replace the voiceover with something cleaner when I find time. 

Thank you for the interest in this video and the object. Really appreciate it. Cheers!

You made it this far must have not have thin skin,  i understand where you are coming from but you cant ask people to be open minded when to me you are obviously in the mindset this is some "otherworldly" object suggesting alien craft, and look down at anyone who doesnt agree with that.

Please dont pigeon hole me, When i give my opinion to what i believe something is bird, plane, superman im very open to be swayed, proven wrong, and not trying to be mean your video will never sway me that its an alien craft, and not prosaic

If our minds are open we have to admit that just because we cant ever prove what a mystery object is doesnt make it otherworldly and lets face it what more likely, worldly of course,

I also have issue with your distant opinion, you have zero way to gauge how far it really is from the camera, frame width doesnt provide that, youre guessing, as i said before i could reproduce many not all attributes hanging a glass fuse from a tree and filming with my cell phone.

Unless you blantly hoaxed the video i can imagine you are very excited about it and sincere in your opinion about it however its not my task to prove what the object is its your task to prove it, or just toss it out there and each person can make up their own mind, like i have.

I believe thats very fair and acceptable.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

I am not looking down on anyone who dismisses this object as a balloon or anything else, I am just trying to make a case for why it could be something else.

I mean absolutely no disrespect. No pigeonholing going on here, you are very welcome to your opinion about what it is and I will not disregard it and in fact have said many times that it very well could be something prosaic. I just cannot shut the door on unexplainable. Otherworldly does not automatically mean aliens, it just means something other than natural as far as I understand the term.

Cheers!

edit: Just want to add that this is in no way a hoax, or anything similar to a hoax. I filmed this with the equipment described, and just to reiterate the near focal distance of this lens even zoomed out is not capable of capturing something from inside a car on the window.  The minimum focal distance is over 4 feet. The metadata does show the lens all the way zoomed in at 400mm, catching a fuse in the air with that setup would be a miracle.

Edited by spacebret
  • Like 1

Im not a photography expert by a long shot,

I would require an unbiased eye, I would need several individuals who i view as experts inspect your orginal video the place you took the video and your gear and all come to agreement on the distance from the camera, this is just good science but admittedly only would give an estimate of distance.

i feel you are mixing the context of what i stated and stand behind, i can produce a "similar" video using a phone and a fuse supported on a wire or hanging on a string,

I know this because youtube is full of such video, my point in that statement isnt a slam but rather to show just how i see such a video, of course i never suggested if you hoaxed it with a fuse that it was 5500ft from the camera, it would have been far closer, nothing is in the frame with the object to give any scale, there is no way to gauge size or distance, to make claims otherwise is not science or proof just your belief.

Too many true believers here make a jump from unexplained or otherworldly to aliens so thats my mindset there,

Lots of unexplained things in the skies i see many daily and perhaps few if any are "balloons" but when words like" otherworldly" and terms like "not natural as you know it" pop up i start recalling the late john keel, i found him likable his wild ideas that we do not exist the way we think we do and the universe isnt what we think it is, all fun esoteric stuff, with of course zero proof.

Applying this to your object, just what is otherworldly or not natural as you know it,

Again these are ideas you are at the task to prove, or not.

And at this moment i have no clue what the object is but i lean to hoax, if not hoax im unsure,

How about this, since you know all about editing etc take a single frame or several where the object is clear, post those lets go from there.

3 hours ago, spacebret said:

I captured this object. Appreciate all the comments. I am oddly okay with all the criticism as well

quoted from your video:

I love reading the comments, even the ones that dismiss it

Dismiss it as being what?

14 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

13737600-10208646486617022-4759875620211

yep more than likely... nothing more than an Unidentified Floating Object.

so IMO it's mystery solved

Just now, spacebret said:

I am referring to those who say flatly it is a balloon. 

i say it's a ballon as suggested. what you need to do now is give your reasons why you feel it might not be:

does it do something that makes you feel it's not?

8 minutes ago, spacebret said:

I am referring to those who say flatly it is a balloon. 

that is not answering the: 'dismiss it as being what' question.. all due respect ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

that is not answering the: 'dismiss it as being what' question.. all due respect ;)

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was saying people who dismiss the object say it is a balloon. Basically if I make the claim that it is unidentified, then those who dismiss this claim will say it is a balloon mater of factly. I cannot dispute that. The only thing I can say is that I can see where it could be something else, and cannot say for sure what it is. I am not as certain as those who dismiss it. The burden of proof is not on me to prove that it is or is not a balloon. It is on those who believe it to be a balloon to prove it is a balloon. I only acquired the image of the object. I am not positing that it is one thing or another. I am simply saying I cannot explain this, and I do not think that something other than balloon could be ruled out. Prove it to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacebret said:

The burden of proof is not on me to prove that it is or is not a balloon

eeer, yes it is.....

i feel carrying on with this conversation will be futile.. so i'm going haggis hunting- have fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

eeer, yes it is.....

i feel carrying on with this conversation will be futile.. so i'm going haggis hunting- have fun

Okay so first of all, no it is not on me to prove what the object is because I have said from the start that I don’t know what that is. My burden of proof is my sencerity and proving that what I captured is genuine, and I have been as much as possible above an beyond on that front.

DUTcQh0XUAA65HR.jpg

I'm not claiming it's a balloon for sure, but the low quality of the footage doesn't show anything to suggest it's not. 

Of course it's possibly something else, but what in the video shows anything unusual? 

A balloon is a valid conclusion given the scant amount of info we have to go on.

The "tether" also points to it being a balloon. 

The lights are explainable by the sunlight glinting off a silver Mylar balloon. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with your assessment, and will not disregard it. I just see no reason to disregard that it could be something else. I understand that I must have captured THE perfect angle of a balloon to do all of the tone changes and flashing in a fraction of a second and still look cigar shaped for it to be a balloon. I am just trying to highlight that. I am very open minded and cannnot disregard balloon, but I also cannot disregard that it is something else unexplainable. I am trying to be clear with what I am saying, but seriously the burden of proof is not on me to explain what it is. I captured it. I don’t know what it is. I explained how an 18” balloon could be at that distance and size in the frame, but I still find it very strange that timing and luck would only show the only clear images that are not especially clear to show it as one of those party balloons.

Ive been up way too long need to put phone down and rack out,  bret i see some annoyed true believer coming through in some of what you are posting, my feeling is you are sold solid its otherwordly not of the earth but you are easing into that opinion.

In my way of thinking and i have zero idea why you are focused on a balloon it most certanly is your burden perhaps not to proof what you believe the object to be since you seem to say you have no idea, fine,  but to prove why its not this or that or a balloon, fuse, hoax , etc, if you are going to denounce the next guys opinion, which you did ask for yet are doing.

you need to let the next guy believe what they choose with no disdane which you are allowing to slip out, if the link you posted are the best stills, i hate to be snide but they suck out loud and serve no value in any scientific way, you say you are a photographer then you are aware that the quality is very poor,

As for "balloon" thats like saying soft drink it covers a wide range, and mylar balloons come in myriad shapes, sizes, an 18" balloon isnt epic or rare,  do i know what this object is? Nope, do i believe it is anything other than prosiac? Nope.

Do i understand why you think prosiac isnt as cool as otherwordly of course i get it.

But this video isnt the money shot.

Edited by the13bats
typo

I certainly do not think what I captured is a money shot. I only caught a few frames in focus. If it is a balloon I got very lucky on the angle, unlucky on capturing a tether, and extremely lucky on the sequence of tone changes and flashing.

I get the fact that most would be skeptical, and honestly I am crazy for entering this deep end. Taking shots at my ability as a photographer based on these frames is a low blow. Honestly just wanted to post an update to my video and why I think the door is open to speculation, but I can see clearly that the door is firmly closed here based on these responses. 

I have nothing agains that, but I do find it so funny that I learned the new swamp gas is Mylar balloon. Cheers!

"Swamp gas" replaced by balloons, you kind of gave yourself away there that you are in the deep end of the ufo hobby interest, Just as i thought, you have let it get you angry,

if its not a hoax and you dont know what the devil it is then it really sucks how frustrating it must be and that your photography skills will be gauged by this video, but it would only be "taking a shot" if you actually believe this is a great quality video,

Its not about luck but i guess if it were capturing the teather from a balloon was as you say, unlucky.

As far as what i can only see as your obsession with balloons is there some reason for this?....hum.

Edited by the13bats