Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive snow bear spawns belly button mystery

Still Waters

Sometime overnight Tuesday, someone — or some people — made a giant snow bear on the Lachine Canal, near Beaudoin Street in the Montreal neighbourhood of Saint-Henri.

It's a delightful bear, carefully conceived and expertly executed.

The bear's outline was stamped out right next to a footbridge crossing the canal in southwest Montreal — a prime location for picture-taking.

But how did its mysterious makers do the belly button?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/st-henri-belly-button-bear-1.4999304

• Like 3

Probably just used a long stick to make it. Note that the navel is poorly done. It's actually four separate impressions in the snow. Just the sort of job a casual 'snow doodler' might make of it, using such a clumsy implement. It's not even very well centered. 

Edited by bison
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How was the picture taken from above--perhaps a drone. The same instrument could have made the impressions. A simpler solution might be the same stick or implement that perhaps made the eyebrows. Finally, perhaps the simplest solution was that it existed before the bear was made. Amusing nevertheless.

1 minute ago, AllPossible said:

In the snow though? Lol

good point never tried in the snow from a standstill,  did it plenty of times on the sand on a beach,  however that snow is only few inches deep, should not be an issue,   we had a guy in school who jumped 8ft+ but standing on firm ground

I like the quad copter theory, maybe something fairly commonplace like a Phantom 4

1 hour ago, aztek said:

good point never tried in the snow from a standstill,  did it plenty of times on the sand on a beach,  however that snow is only few inches deep, should not be an issue,   we had a guy in school who jumped 8ft+ but standing on firm ground

Did you go to school at Hogwarts, or the equivalent boarding school for giants!!!

16 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

Did you go to school at Hogwarts, or the equivalent boarding school for giants!!!

lol, kinda, i'm 6'4, the guy who jumped 8ft was 7'1" it was regular high school in Brooklyn, ordinary gym class.  

i have little doubt if you are in ok shape, you can do 5-6ft from a standstill after some training, it is not that much.  it has more to do with technique, than muscles and size.

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

Ya I'd assume snow would be a disadvantage. What about a running long jump?

7 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

Ya I'd assume snow would be a disadvantage. What about a running long jump?

easier from a run start,  however when you jump from running start you are very likely to not land on your feet alone,  would leave a lot more marks. plus you have to jump back, i do not see "runway" to use for jumping back

Edited by aztek

i used to jump 10 feet in highschool standing still, and 22.5 doing the long jump when i was 17.

The same way they made the eyes nose and lips.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone suggests that Ancient Aliens did it or taught someone how to do it.  It does look up into the stars at night.

Rock toss or a fishing pole. zzzz

Here in Colorado In the 90s when I was young it would snow at my grandma's, I'd run on the snow covered grass and every single time near the middle of the lawn there'd be what looked like a footprint. Imagine big bird from Sesame Street making a footprint \l/ that's what it'd look like, each toe as big as my shoe and there was only ever one. This reminded me of it. Pretty creepy

Someone played a lot of darts ehehe