Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is human Cannibalism Taboo ?

MindfulInquirer

3 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

Mindfullnguirer: "fascinated with topics that were quietly taboo in society"

Because eating kittys is taboo too!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The aboriginals here call them "roof rabbits".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Yes I am! It's called vorarephilia, and if the legend of the last supper is historically true, I think Jesus had that perversion.

It's not like it's the only masochistic trait he had. He also advocated to take a beating and to offer to take another. And he washed feet and wiped them with his hair.

Jesus seem to have been a class A type masochist with a vore twist.

Um.. Have you heard of metaphor? Symbolism: wine for blood and so on?

He washed feet? You know the idea behind that? That it was something that was usually done by servants, and therefore by doing it himself he was demonstrating that he was as humble as the lowest servant? It wasn't like he made a hobby of it. Anything associated with wine now, that was a different story. He always went out of his way to make sure the people had enough wine. That's my kind of Messiah. :yes: 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty

1 minute ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Um.. Have you heard of metaphor? Symbolism: wine for blood and so on?

He washed feet? You know the idea behind that? That it was something that was usually done by servants, and therefore by doing it himself he was demonstrating that he was as humble as the lowest servant? It wasn't like he made a hobby of it. Anything associated with wine now, that was a different story. He always went out of his way to make sure the people had enough wine. That's my kind of Messiah. :yes: 

Jesus was just a human. Some believe he was divine, but there's no evidence of that.

My description of his character is based on him being just human. And we haven't changed in 2000 years. They had the same quirks then, as we have today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Well eating dog look like a taboo here... but eating pig, chicken, rabbit... no. Lots of subjectivity in our choice of taboo.

Eating dog is taboo to my people too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

The whole Wiindigo legend was my tribe's (The Algonquians) taboo against cannibalism. Whereas the Siouian and Iroquoian tribes practiced it during famine times we were known as "bark eaters" who resorted to mass suicide by poison rather than starve or resort to eating human flesh.

if i even join a tribe I'm joining yours. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm ticking a lot of boxes here. how about making me an honorary member of your tribe? Risky eagle...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

I'm ticking a lot of boxes here. how about making me an honorary member of your tribe? Risky eagle...

"Pain In the Ass Pigeon"  :yes:

• Haha 5

Just now, Piney said:

"Pain In the Ass Pigeon"  :yes:

nah, i don't think of you in that way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seanjo said:

It's only a taboo where humans are food rich, it's only become a real taboo in modern times.

how do you build trust with someone in a tribal environment if you get invited to dinner only to wonder whether your the main course. its a case of trust and empathy more than survival. well it should be. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

nah, i don't think of you in that way. 

Eating Wiikimokiis ( Brother Rabbit) is taboo too. We don't eat cute and fluffy bunnies. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Piney said:

Eating Wiikimokiis ( Brother Rabbit) is taboo too. We don't eat cute and fluffy bunnies. :yes:

no wonder you people starve. rabbit stew with wine and onions. yum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember all of those middle eastern taboos against eating swine and shell fish and never mixing dairy and meat utensils?  Maybe as much to the point that in a hot climate eating three day old clams might turn out to be your last supper.  Maybe trichinosis was just as much a danger from eating pork as the fact it had cloven hooves. 

Cannibalism might expose people to a few other human specific pathogens, not good practice if you have enough else to eat.  Unless of course you gain someone else's mana by eating them.  Then its power food.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I think you have to be invited cousin.

well to be honest i think you could do with more rabbit eaters and less bark eaters. i don't know of any bark recipes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

i don't know of any bark recipes.  

haggis in an oak bark source= lovely

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I was served dog for Christmas dinner in China when I was traveling there.  I only figured it out by reading the menu after my companions had ordered the menu. I recognized  the character for dog after visiting Dog Mountain Castle in Japan.

Lakota eat dogs, still do in some of their ceremonies.  I knew an elder once who had a dog that he said he met as a puppy and decided to save him from the cooking pot.  I met the dog, I can't swear to the story. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

haggis in an oak bark source= lovely

no i think Piney's tribe borders on pacifism. using offal and picking through the less glamorous pieces of deer meat just doesn't seem like something they'll do. then again i'am not quite a member of his tribe yet so what would i know.  

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Almond bark?

whats that? i know of almond milk but bark?

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

no i think Piney's tribe borders on pacifism. using offal and picking through the less glamorous pieces of deer meat just doesn't seem like something they'll do. then again i'am not quite a member yet so what would i know.  

nope- you've lost me there

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Lakota eat dogs, still do in some of their ceremonies.  I knew an elder once who had a dog that he said he met as a puppy and decided to save him from the cooking pot.  I met the dog, I can't swear to the story. 

Yuwipi Ceremony puppy soup. I always passed. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Cinnamon?

Funny thing,i think i've known more humans who would rather eat another human than cinnamon :lol:

I don't get the hate,i put ground cinnamon and ground ginger in with my coffee grounds every morning...

Why mention this...hey i didn't start the derailing :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

nope- you've lost me there

well read the rest of the posts on this page. or if you can't be bothered just pretend I'm funny and like me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1