Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is human Cannibalism Taboo ?

MindfulInquirer

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

well read the rest of the posts on this page. or if you can't be bothered just pretend I'm funny and like me. 

i have- i still don't get it..... this is (possibly) what happens when people don't state where they are from! it helps

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Funny thing,i think i've known more humans who would rather eat another human than cinnamon :lol:

I don't get the hate,i put ground cinnamon and ground ginger in with my coffee grounds every morning...

Why mention this...hey i didn't start the derailing :lol:

man i know people that drink tea with cloves i guess you could do it with cinnamon too.  

• Like 1

I think health reasons have little or nothing to do, with how this taboo arose. If you "normalize" the eating of your fellow man, it is a just a step along the slippery slope of being able to justify murder as a necessary step to ensure your survival, in extreme hardship conditions. The recruitment rate of people into a population could never keep up with casual excursions into cannibalism, when things got tough in environments that were possibly marginal anyway. It becomes a matter if "where do you stop" once you allow cannibalism, and for the most part human societies have decided the best answer is "you don't start". But of course, in extreme, highly unnatural situations where there seems no alternative but to eat human flesh, people will, and especially if the situation is one that is unlikely ever to recur for them, such as the place crash survivors in the Andes, the besieged at Leningrad etc. But as a solution to what might be recurrent hardships, no, it would lead to population collapse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

man i know people that drink tea with cloves i guess you could do it with cinnamon too.  

I mainly drink my coffee that way for the health benefits plus i need the caffeine :lol:

Coffee caffeine + antioxidants,cinnamon stabilizes blood sugar,ginger good for the intestinal tract...

If not adding cream,sugar,and other crap it actually has a good flavor lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Chocolate-Almond Bark with Sea Salt / Diane FieldsToo much time on my hands today

image.jpeg

Oh that looks nice. I want the one on the bottom. It looks like dark chocolate. Mmmm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I would, given the opportunity, indulge in human meat

Reminds me of a story told to me by a cab driver, who picked up a chap from the airport who hailed from some exotic island location, discussing what the main diet was in those parts, he allegedly replied "beans", when asked what kind of beans are we talking about, he was told, "human beans". A short silence, followed by a nervous laugh. A joke. I hope !

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 7:57 PM, spartan max2 said:

What do you think about evolution being the reason we find cannibalism taboo? 

That it's an incomplete explanation and avoids the crux of the issue.

21 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

well to be honest i think you could do with more rabbit eaters and less bark eaters. i don't know of any bark recipes.  

peppermint bark, it's what's for dinner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MindfulInquirer said:

That it's an incomplete explanation and avoids the crux of the issue.

how so?

it's not taboo to those who practice it.... in some parts of the world; eating parts of a dead relative is classed as respect= bonding with loved ones

edit to change:

i feel changing the word 'some' to 'most' if not, probably 'all' would be more to the truth of it.... this is the main reason for cannibalism 

Edited by Dejarma

23 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

how so?

I don't think evolution alone explains the issue. I don't think we're consistently horrified at the thought of a human cannibal just because some diseases are associated with it, or because of it impracticality in society, I find that very one-eyed, I don't think it considers the problem realistically and I think it misses the most important part. There are other components to it. There's something absolutely disturbing about human cannibalism and I'm convinced it goes beyond mere organic causes.

What, about the moral factor? 

I simply could not bring myself to indulge in such a barbaric and primitive practise. I'd throw up. 

38 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I simply could not bring myself to indulge in such a barbaric and primitive practise. I'd throw up. 

Girly boy.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Mind over matter. Desperate circumstances can produce desperate remedies. I recall once listening to a story of a group of Soviet officers who had been captured by the Germans in 1944, in Poland, and incarcerated in to dungeon of an old castle where they were abandoned by their captors, who fled when they could hear Red Army tanks approaching. But the tanks just raced through, and the prisoners were stranded in their lock-up. Where they remained for a lengthy period, without food. As the weakest died, they would become food for the others. Similar scenarios have played out with shipwrecked sailors in lifeboats, at sea for very long periods.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, openozy said:

Girly boy.

I don't think so, you're a sick puppy. What's macho about eating other people? Just the idea is sickening. 

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Mind over matter. Desperate circumstances can produce desperate remedies. I recall once listening to a story of a group of Soviet officers who had been captured by the Germans in 1944, in Poland, and incarcerated in to dungeon of an old castle where they were abandoned by their captors, who fled when they could hear Red Army tanks approaching. But the tanks just raced through, and the prisoners were stranded in their lock-up. Where they remained for a lengthy period, without food. As the weakest died, they would become food for the others. Similar scenarios have played out with shipwrecked sailors in lifeboats, at sea for very long periods.

Mm, yes I've read of those stories, and figure people on the brink of madness from starvation near death would consider it, but as an option? I just can't see how it could appeal to any stable person. 

I don't know what was portrayed in the movie made about it, but a shipwreck on Fraser Island in the early days of white settlement in Australia, produced tales of dead babies thrown on the camp fire, by aborigines, and then eaten by them. The shipwrecked Europeans taking into their camp, seemingly did not suffer that fate, but there is obviously a difference between eating the flesh of a baby that died, and killing a stranger to eat them. Who knows what dietary deficiencies they may have had, that such cannibalism might have been adaptive behavior.

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Mm, yes I've read of those stories, and figure people on the brink of madness from starvation near death would consider it, but as an option? I just can't see how it could appeal to any stable person. 

I guess only one "mad" with hunger knows.

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I don't think so, you're a sick puppy. What's macho about eating other people? Just the idea is sickening. 

Its not,I just like calling you names:lol:

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I don't know, well cooked with BBQ sauce or some wild garlic, with roasted rosemary potatoes. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2019 at 7:22 AM, Vlad the Mighty said:

I quite agree, No practical reason why it should be. Jonathan Swift had some very practical suggestions on that score.

A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Public

Um, you do realise he was a satirist not a satyrist  :)