Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
MindfulInquirer

Why is human Cannibalism Taboo ?

84 posts in this topic

Iilaa'mpuul'xem
13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

What, about the moral factor? 

I simply could not bring myself to indulge in such a barbaric and primitive practise. I'd throw up. 

I don't know, well cooked with BBQ sauce or some wild garlic, with roasted rosemary potatoes. 

• Haha 1

Mr Walker
On 02/02/2019 at 7:22 AM, Vlad the Mighty said:

I quite agree, No practical reason why it should be. Jonathan Swift had some very practical suggestions on that score.

A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Public

Um, you do realise he was a satirist not a satyrist  :) 

Sir Smoke aLot

It might be taboo right now but ''taboo stuff'' tends to became mainstream so maybe cannibalism will be too, give it some years. The way society is being lead it might be not so far in the future :D

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot

Desertrat56
On 2/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, MindfulInquirer said:

I'm starting this thread in this section because I don't believe it is as much an anthropological question as much as it is a psychological one, and really, even more so a philosophical one. I've always been fascinated with topics that were quietly taboo in society, that for some reason were avoided, or ignored. Why is cannibalism so taboo ? Here are a few answers, hopefully this can spark a bit of deep discussion.

Mad Cow disease.

Rlyeh
33 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Mad Cow disease.

Which you get from cattle..

Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Which you get from cattle..

The prions that cause it are not just from cattle, the  name of the disease were caused by food cattle being feed bone meal from beef bones.  It is the same disease in humans who eat other humans, or any mammals that it canablaistic and if you eat any animal that has been eating others of it's kind you can get from them as well.

Edited by Desertrat56

Rlyeh
9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The prions that cause it are not just from cattle, the  name of the disease were caused by food cattle being feed bone meal from beef bones.  It is the same disease in humans who eat other humans, or any mammals that it canablaistic and if you eat any animal that has been eating others of it's kind you can get from them as well.

The disease is not caused by cannibalism.  You have an increased chance of getting those diseases if you eat the infected.

Robotic Jew

It's taboo because "they" don't want you to know how delicious it is.

XenoFish
1 minute ago, Robotic Jew said:

It's taboo because "they" don't want you to know how delicious it is.

1336666500326_1446879.png

• Haha 5