Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

China's hypersonic railgun 'ready by 2025'

28 posts in this topic

RoofGardener

I wouldn't dismiss the Peoples Liberation Army Navy ! Far from being rust-buckets, much of their destroyer and frigate fleet is post-2000, and very modern in design. And they have LOTS of them. Certainly more than Japan. They also appear quite strong on submarines.

Also rather worrying is their recent surge in production of landing craft and floating docks.... e.g. land assault vessels. They have about 60 of them now !!!!

and then
15 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm... I'm kinda reminded of all those sci-fi predictions (mostly in comics, it has to be said) from the 1950's, that predicted that - by 1990 - we would all be using flying cars. 

A functional, militarily useful rail-gun by 2025 ? Methinks the Chinese are dreaming :) 

Railguns are capable of doing amazing amounts of damage... against STATIONARY targets ;)   Not so much against mobile aggressors.  It's been a while since naval vessels have been used for extensive shore bombardment.  Just sayin' ...

and then
3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I wouldn't dismiss the Peoples Liberation Army Navy ! Far from being rust-buckets, much of their destroyer and frigate fleet is post-2000, and very modern in design. And they have LOTS of them. Certainly more than Japan. They also appear quite strong on submarines.

Also rather worrying is their recent surge in production of landing craft and floating docks.... e.g. land assault vessels. They have about 60 of them now !!!!

They're trying to intimidate Taiwan.  The Taiwanese enjoy air superiority and would smoke the PLAN like a cheap cigar ;)