Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North queensland flooding

hereticspl

Hundreds of homes have been evacuated including my own in what has been described as one in one hundred year monsoon. The city of Townsville north Queensland Australia is currently designated a disaster zone with police, military and ses on the streets door knocking, sand bagging and evacuating residents as the ross river dam exceeds 200% capacity with no end to the rain in sight. Stay safe Townsville.

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear, hope your losses are covered. 

• Like 2

You have insurance ?

5 minutes ago, hereticspl said:

Yeah should be allright

Good, but if the house goes under,and you have Gyprock walls, it will be an ugly sight.

Hey everyone. Not that anyone is following but just an update on the townsville floods. Residents have been warned to leave all areas around ross river as the dam is about to reach critical levels and will automatically open flood gates and will not be able to be closed. Extreme flooding inevitable between 2030 and 0600. by all reports emergency personnel have been ordered to fall back to safe areas. I have been able to check on my house this morning after wading through flood waters on foot and our house was still untouched at around midday today. It looks like tonight will see the end of my luck and there is a chance i will need to move to an evacuation center.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Sounds like an anxious night for a lot of people. Where are you staying at the moment ?

We stayed in an area called annandale wich is just across the road from the millitary barracks. It has been spared flooding and power has remained on. Many areas are completely cut off and alot of people required rescuing by boat last night. Two police officers who were caught in flood waters overnight had to be rescued by ses and are well but the vehicle was lost. Reports of looting in flooded areas with es unable to monitor or respond at all.

Edited by hereticspl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Big mess to clean up, did the flood enter your house ?

20 hours ago, hereticspl said:

Hey everyone. Not that anyone is following but just an update on the townsville floods. Residents have been warned to leave all areas around ross river as the dam is about to reach critical levels and will automatically open flood gates and will not be able to be closed. Extreme flooding inevitable between 2030 and 0600. by all reports emergency personnel have been ordered to fall back to safe areas. I have been able to check on my house this morning after wading through flood waters on foot and our house was still untouched at around midday today. It looks like tonight will see the end of my luck and there is a chance i will need to move to an evacuation center.

Stay safe. Sending all best wishes to you and your family.

• Like 3

I will never forget the day i had to rely on the kindness of strangers to help ferry me by boat through the streets of the suburbs surrounding mine. I will never forget what it felt like to drive a boat down the streets and see only the tops of cars. I will not forget the image of garage doors bent inwards by the force of the flood waters. I will never forget slogging through stomach high water in my neighborhood. The experience was surreal this morning as me and my best friend sat in a boat that belonged to a complete stranger so i could rescue our dog and check on our property. We have been incredibly lucky in that our street has been spared inundation. Our house has been left untouched by the waters that have devastated houses literally around the corner from where we live. The next few weeks are going to be trying for everyone as they come home to inspect the damage and try to piece back together the lives they once had. And i am humbled by the sense of community present. Thanks to anyone who reads this and remember dont take for granted what you have because it can be taken away at any moment. Stay safe and hold eachother tight.

• Like 4

Sounds like you have come out of it well. Been a few floods in Queensland in recent years, they act as a reminder to me to never buy in a flood-prone area, you can get flooded, or pay through the nose for insurance !

Yesterday we were able to drive back into our street. Pure luck that our properties were untouched in our little corner. People 100 meters down the road were not so lucky. I spent about 6 hours yesterday going from door to door helping strangers clean up flood waters up to waste high in some houses trashed furniture and belongings. Some people are in good spirits helping eachother to get back on their feet. Others are taking it alot harder. Speaking to a nurse i met who just feels overwhelmed not knowing even where to start putting her life home back together hoping that she can hold herself together until her partner gets back from a work trip. Pulling apart a bed for someone else and seeing the disappointment in her eyes when i tell her that her daughters bed is no longer safe to be used. The floor of the room is covered in mud stained dolls. An elderly lady living alone noone to help her. Chopping a branch to pieces with an axe that had leveled someones fence. Trying to move a car that has an electric park break (dont buy one of these). The smell is intense the battle against mold and insurance companies (arguably the same thing) is ongoing. Water has to be boiled still as sewerage has contaminated water supplies. And to top it off theres the ever present threat of displaced crocodiles roaming the area. But in the end we will put it back together and go back to living our lives, though hopefully some people will have s better appreciation of how fragile the systems they've built their lives on is and how easily it can all be swept away.