Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Virginia Governor regrets KKK blackface photo

66 posts in this topic

Eldorado

Virginia Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam apologized Friday for appearing in a “racist and offensive” photo on his 1984 medical school yearbook page that showed one man dressed in blackface and another in a KKK robe, while giving no indication he plans to resign.

Full report at Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ralph-northams-medical-school-yearbook-page-shows-men-dressed-in-blackface-kkk-robe

"I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now," he said in a statement.

Black politicians in Virginia called the image "disgusting" and Republicans urged the Democrat to resign.

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47098776

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

acute

A mountain out of a molehill!  What white person didn't black up in the 80's?

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

third_eye

I can just imagine Politicians ten years or so from now and the hoard of scandalous Facebook/twitter/instagram embarrassments facing them on the path to Office

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

preacherman76

Is this the same guy who is trying to pass a infanticide bill in Virginia?  Or am I confusing him with someone else?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

skliss

And he has yet to say which one in the photo he is....

• Like 2

Sheltie
25 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Is this the same guy who is trying to pass a infanticide bill in Virginia?  

Yes, it is.

• Like 3

Sheltie

Politicians like Ralph Northam are the result of a one party political system. 

In Virginia over the last 20 years there has been tremendous population growth in Northern Virginia, which is really just a big suburb or Washington DC.  Northern Virginia is very liberal and staunchly supports Democrats.  As a result, Democrats now win almost all statewide and national elections in Virginia meaning the leadership in this state is now decided by a political party rather than the people.

• Like 3

CrimsonKing

Now if they can just hunt down and find the Republican right winger who forced him into doing that the world will be all good again! :angry:

Hillary was mentored by an actual former klan member,but 70+ million people voted for her...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Aquila King
3 hours ago, Sheltie said:

In Virginia over the last 20 years there has been tremendous population growth in Northern Virginia, which is really just a big suburb or Washington DC.  Northern Virginia is very liberal and staunchly supports Democrats.  As a result, Democrats now win almost all statewide and national elections in Virginia meaning the leadership in this state is now decided by a political party rather than the people.

I seriously don't understand the backward logic of this. :huh: Not that I haven't seen it before, it pops up from conservatives all the time in response to the Electoral College, or whenever a state is mostly Democrat. Although never when the state is mostly rural and Republican though.

If the majority of people in a state are Democrat, then Democratic leadership is what's elected. If the majority of people in a state are Republican, then Republican leadership is what's elected. You don't see democrats constantly bemoaning about how 'Texas is ruled by the Republican party against the will of the people' and how the 'rural areas that are mostly Republican are ruling over the Democratic cities in Texas' and how that's oh so unjust or whatnot. Because that kind of 'logic' is stupid. If the majority of people in Texas are Republican and vote Republican, then Republican leadership is what you get.

How is this hard to understand?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Aquila King
9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Now if they can just hunt down and find the Republican right winger who forced him into doing that the world will be all good again! :angry:

Hillary was mentored by an actual former klan member,but 70+ million people voted for her...

I think it's safe to say this guy was an all around kook before the blackface incident came to light. There are plenty of bad Democrats out there. In fact I'd say the majority of them in congress are total pieces of s**t.

And yeah, the Clintons are a good example of racist Democrats. Just look at Bill Clinton's administration and his horrible record in response to the drug war.

Truly progressive Democrats are sorta like Libertarian-esque Republicans (like Ron or Rand Paul). They're they exception, not the rule.

• Like 3

RoofGardener
4 hours ago, Sheltie said:

Ummm... no ? 

It is the people who voted for the political party. It is still a democracy ? 

skliss

This guy is a Democrat and a racist so therefore all Democrats must be racists...that's how it works, right?

• Haha 5

Sheltie
1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

How is this hard to understand?

I don't live in Texas and I don't give a **** about Texas.

Sheltie
36 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm... no ? 

It is the people who voted for the political party. It is still a democracy ? 

So Cuba has been a democracy all along.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

F3SS
CrimsonKing
5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

So he apologized for it,and is now denying it was him...that's rich :lol:

The guy himself is the perfect argument FOR abortion...fate skipped over the old bast***!...

Good 'ol CNN... :lol:

• Like 3

third_eye

Not to my recollection, No

I have No recollection of the events

~

• Like 1

ExpandMyMind
11 hours ago, acute said:

Any that had black friends, I'm guessing.

• Like 3

aztek

i still have not heard Wayne's brother apologize for white chicks movie

• Like 2

Jon the frog
12 hours ago, third_eye said:

I can just imagine Politicians ten years or so from now and the hoard of scandalous Facebook/twitter/instagram embarrassments facing them on the path to Office

~

Exactly.. sure that most people have done stupid things when young... funny things to !

People are p***ed off so easily that we will need an AI to guide us soon, without any flaw, bad jokes or bad taste. Already they made a scandal because a politician was dancing on a video in college...

Sure one day we will see a scandal because a politician when he was 3 years old asked why some people don't have the same skin color... and more so because he was breastfed when he was two ! An horrible  human being !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

third_eye
31 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Exactly.. sure that most people have done stupid things when young... funny things to !

People are p***ed off so easily that we will need an AI to guide us soon, without any flaw, bad jokes or bad taste. Already they made a scandal because a politician was dancing on a video in college...

Sure one day we will see a scandal because a politician when he was 3 years old asked why some people don't have the same skin color... and more so because he was breastfed when he was two ! An horrible  human being !

The greater concern here is that in pursuing such lofty demands and raising to the bar so impossibly high that it distracts from what is crucial or critical to the problems that is pervasive n\and needs to be addressed.

It also allows great opportunities for shallow and superficial individuals that rides the great wave of popularity that is based entirely if not totally on faith instead of capabilities or a capacity for sound decisions, sounds rather familiar when one looks at it in such a perspective

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agent0range
46 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

I've done a multitude of stupid things.  I have never done anything racist.  I have never said the N word in my entire life.  Legit.  I have never thought racism was OK.  My grandfather was racist.  And I have told him he was wrong in his views since before I was a teenager.  These actions are completely unacceptable.  This scumbag needs to resign.  Period.  

• Like 4

and then
13 hours ago, acute said:

I can speak for my generation growing up in the South in the 60's and 70's.  The "N" word *GASP* was commonly used by young and old of both races.  It was part of the culture then.  It wasn't always used with rank hatred attached to it, either.  As times changed, WE changed and now it's rare to hear anyone other than an elderly person use the slur.  Funny thing is, when old folks use it, most Blacks ignore it because they understand that old people grew up at a different time and just aren't expected to have as many "filters".

I think the remarkable aspect of this controversy is that this politician managed to win a statewide office in the south without this being uncovered by his opponent.  Or maybe it simply wasn't covered because he was a Democrat?  A few days ago, he spoke calmly and matter-of-fact to the issue of infanticide being on the legislative agenda and no one on the Left batted an eye.  Suddenly, he's seen in blackface and they're losing their minds in a feeding frenzy?  Surreal and sad...

and then
12 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Is this the same guy who is trying to pass a infanticide bill in Virginia?  Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Oh yeah... and not a peep over THAT. :(

• Like 2

preacherman76
2 hours ago, and then said:

Oh yeah... and not a peep over THAT. :(

It’s really strange. Almost like this is the way to forget about how the guy literally talked about murdering children just a couple days ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1