Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yemenis eating landfill rubbish to survive

Eldorado

Desperate families are left ‘scrabbling’ through landfill to eat and are dying trapped in their homes, a Yemen doctor has said as fighting flares in strategic port city despite peace deal.

Full horror story at the Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/yemen-war-hodeidah-houthi-un-residents-eat-rubbish-red-sea-city-a8757491.html

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

It's been like that for years. While other governments are sanctioned or ousted, Saudis are granted sort of free pass for war crimes, ethnic cleansing and genocide by the west. From guided bomb sales to support in the UN. Damn 1973... Damn oil... Damn Suez...

Highest populated Arab country which has so much value in the identity of Arab people... Getting destroyed by them so called Muslims within Saudi government. Not to mention what they are doing in Bahrain for years while the world turns blind eye to that.

This is so sad man.

[edit] to add: not only supported by the West, they have strong ties with many because of the way that economy is founded on so i can not blame only western support on this horrible war but it's strongest and able to make difference if things would change.

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

It's been like that for years. While other governments are sanctioned or ousted, Saudis are granted sort of free pass for war crimes, ethnic cleansing and genocide by the west. From guided bomb sales to support in the UN. Damn 1973... Damn oil... Damn Suez...

Highest populated Arab country which has so much value in the identity of Arab people... Getting destroyed by them so called Muslims within Saudi government. Not to mention what they are doing in Bahrain for years while the world turns blind eye to that.

This is so sad man.

[edit] to add: not only supported by the West, they have strong ties with many because of the way that economy is founded on so i can not blame only western support on this horrible war but it's strongest and able to make difference if things would change.

Wars are always tragic for the civilians who get caught up in them.  I note that you assign all blame to one side in the conflict and mention the Iranian/Shia aspect, not at all.  Why is that?

17 hours ago, and then said:

Wars are always tragic for the civilians who get caught up in them.  I note that you assign all blame to one side in the conflict and mention the Iranian/Shia aspect, not at all.  Why is that?

It's no war... It's war crime from the beginning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Still not mentioning it?  It's a legitimate question, Sport.  What role does Iran's support of Shia elements play in the conflict?  

On 2/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, and then said:

What role does Iran's support of Shia elements play in the conflict?  

Considering the role which Saudi's have lately, considering how they 'play' with their neighbors out of sport and power show off (Qatar) or more serious (Lebanon and Hariri case) i doubt that Iranian influence could ever match that of well established players. Some actions of 'Saudi and friends' have been central part of major civil unrest which have lead to many dead and imprisoned over the years (Bahrain).

So what are we doing here? Trying to say who is ''more in it'' while we (intentionally?) leave important parts of the picture aside. I do not remember any Iranian intervention which have lead to the cases such as ''Kashoggi murder'' but Iran is attacked, constantly, regardless of what the facts say.

Reasons behind Yemeni catastrophe are economy and politics but what's worse, Yemen doesn't have either but is too unfortunate to be near important passages and shipping routes. Yemeni people are guilty of supporting someone who doesn't play by Saudi (and generally western) rules. 

Iran might be guilty of providing help to those who were left all alone, in the same way they helped my country when embargo was introduced upon us while we were facing fully equipped JNA. How dare they...

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Do you not remember the carnage caused by the Islamic Courts, the predecessor's to the Houthi in the current conflict ? 

***EDIT***

Ooops.. my bad.. that was Somalia, not Yemen. 

Edited by RoofGardener

15 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Do you not remember the carnage caused by the Islamic Courts, the predecessor's to the Houthi in the current conflict ? 

***EDIT***

Ooops.. my bad.. that was Somalia, not Yemen. 

Now that you mention it - it's really similar, Somalia was 'blessed' by Suez too. Similar faith has been shared by their neighbors. There are writings by Churchill from his time in Sudan if i remember correctly and he made some great observations. I am just not sure about Nigeria, is it because of Sudan or because of oil i can't tell. Did you hear about the term ''blood batteries'' that could soon be central area of conflicts in the world and it would also affect already struggling area.

Not sure how far but Boko Haram must have a reason for expanding across the borders, just a thought.

Hmm... interesting. The House of Representatives have just passed a bill pulling the US military out of all involvement in Yemen.

The bill has now moved to the Senate for approval. 

Personally, I think this is an excellent idea !

14 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm... interesting. The House of Representatives have just passed a bill pulling the US military out of all involvement in Yemen.

Well, they still selling US made weapons... doesn't make a change in the situation, just some icing to hide the rotten cake.

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Well, they still selling US made weapons... doesn't make a change in the situation, just some icing to hide the rotten cake.

Well, sad, but true. :( 

How much longer before we have mass deaths due to starvation ? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, sad, but true. :( 

How much longer before we have mass deaths due to starvation ? 

Death by bomb or starvation.... that's the way it is in Occident non abiding country. Look Libya, Syria, Venezuela, etc. They are in different states of the same processes.

16 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It will hardly help Yemeni people because many other countries continue to sell bombs to Saudi's and i am not sure if that decision is over operational support but without restrictions on sales. But it's something because without American tactical support i doubt that SA and UAE can continue this war for much longer or at least they won't be efficient in murdering children as they were so far. Houtis are also attacking points on Saudi border and deeper in Jizan and Najran province but i can't find good source other than video released by Houtis.

1 hour ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

It will hardly help Yemeni people because many other countries continue to sell bombs to Saudi's and i am not sure if that decision is over operational support but without restrictions on sales. But it's something because without American tactical support i doubt that SA and UAE can continue this war for much longer or at least they won't be efficient in murdering children as they were so far. Houtis are also attacking points on Saudi border and deeper in Jizan and Najran province but i can't find good source other than video released by Houtis.

Most interesting Sir Smoke a Lot.

I DO find it interesting that Saudi - with all its modern weapons and aircraft - still seem to be struggling to contain an insurrection by lightly-armed militia.

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I DO find it interesting that Saudi - with all its modern weapons and aircraft - still seem to be struggling to contain an insurrection by lightly-armed militia.

Well you know those lightly armed militia has Iranian backing  and also Saudi's war waging capability sucks.

1 hour ago, jeem said:

Well you know those lightly armed militia has Iranian backing  and also Saudi's war waging capability sucks.

I think the latter has more to do with it than the former ! 

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I think the latter has more to do with it than the former ! 

On that we can agree :yes:.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, RoofGardener said:

History teach us that those who fight for just cause, with hearts and souls in the war, well, they hardly lose and mostly they survive impossible odd's. I have personal experience with that and Yemeni people do to but the game is much harder now than it was back in 1990's so it really is interesting. Saudi elite might have made move which will be enough for their opponents (which are many both inside and out) to play check mate. [edit] too add: if US remains to be an ally to Saud family then situation will stay the same but their aggression on Yemen will stop regardless.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:45 PM, jeem said:

On such terrain mobility does offer many advantages. It's now famous as Toyota war or something like that, last offensive to chase off Gaddafi from Chad. Such troops (on light vehicles smaller than pickups, sort like jeeps) were highly efficient fighting Israeli Merkava tanks in 2006 in Lebanon (Merkava, prior to that, was labeled as best multi role heavy tank in the world).

Terrain is similar in every one of those locations with only Lebanon being slightly more hilly land if i remember correctly.

Iran does support Houtis but if Iran actually did manage to provide ''everything'' then Iran is most certainly a lot stronger than anyone believe (having to move through enemy territory for hundreds of miles, which i find close to impossible especially because of US provided strategical maps and satellite imagery and track of enemy movements which are state of the art...).

One more thing, there are videos from fights which Houtis record and i have to say that their courage is out of this world, some of them were wearing thin shirts and rifles, running directly on fortified positions of Saudi ''marine like'' equipped soldiers. Even Hezbollah was equipped like army in 2006 but they fought with same ferocity in battle. Damn i read about wars too much.

So, in short, Iran could not make the difference between Houtis losing the war, especially not for this many years. So yeah, Saudis suck maybe because their soldiers feel how much of disgrace this war is both to their tradition and to faith. Aggressor will always fail, one way or another. Maybe not today, maybe not in a year but it will, no question about it. History teach us that.

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

History teach us that those who fight for just cause, with hearts and souls in the war, well, they hardly lose and mostly they survive impossible odd's. I have personal experience with that and Yemeni people do to but the game is much harder now than it was back in 1990's so it really is interesting. Saudi elite might have made move which will be enough for their opponents (which are many both inside and out) to play check mate. [edit] too add: if US remains to be an ally to Saud family then situation will stay the same but their aggression on Yemen will stop regardless.

On such terrain mobility does offer many advantages. It's now famous as Toyota war or something like that, last offensive to chase off Gaddafi from Chad. Such troops (on light vehicles smaller than pickups, sort like jeeps) were highly efficient fighting Israeli Merkava tanks in 2006 in Lebanon (Merkava, prior to that, was labeled as best multi role heavy tank in the world).

Terrain is similar in every one of those locations with only Lebanon being slightly more hilly land if i remember correctly.

Iran does support Houtis but if Iran actually did manage to provide ''everything'' then Iran is most certainly a lot stronger than anyone believe (having to move through enemy territory for hundreds of miles, which i find close to impossible especially because of US provided strategical maps and satellite imagery and track of enemy movements which are state of the art...).

One more thing, there are videos from fights which Houtis record and i have to say that their courage is out of this world, some of them were wearing thin shirts and rifles, running directly on fortified positions of Saudi ''marine like'' equipped soldiers. Even Hezbollah was equipped like army in 2006 but they fought with same ferocity in battle. Damn i read about wars too much.

So, in short, Iran could not make the difference between Houtis losing the war, especially not for this many years. So yeah, Saudis suck maybe because their soldiers feel how much of disgrace this war is both to their tradition and to faith. Aggressor will always fail, one way or another. Maybe not today, maybe not in a year but it will, no question about it. History teach us that.

That is a very cogent analysis Sir Smoke a Lot... thanks for it :)

You ARE correct in one thing.... in this century - and the last - every country that has STARTED a war has ultimately lost !

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

Yeah man, that is true especially now with all those guided bombs, rockets and stuff. I was unlucky enough to be close to explosion of 250 kg modified unguided airplane bomb, bomb which was modified by JNA and used against Croatia and in Bosnia. There is only wikipedia site on my language for it but information is lacking as there are just few lines. They were upgraded with rocket motor from SAM-2 and were used as ground to ground missiles.

It was some old Soviet thing of course.

Google map LINK

It fall on this Vet building ''Veterinarski centar'' on the map and i was near crossroad just below and little to the left, near M5 named road, some 150 or 100 meters from the impact. We were riding bikes, playing and all i remember was how sunny afternoon soon turned into night, cloud of dust and particles like wood and stone was flying all around me it was like someone thrown hill of sand and black ground in my direction.

Now why i mention this, because as i learned now there are 500 kg bombs or even heavier with much more yield. When these new things impact they destroy buildings to the ground and everything around them. I can't even imagine how it affects populated areas.

But still, nothing can kill the spirit of those who are defending. Dozens of people were killed that day, from old Soviet 250 kg bomb. Modern ones are ten or more times more powerful even with much lighter load. Sorry for this longer story but it might show the difference between surviving back then and now, it's almost impossible today.

• Thanks 1