Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWI hand grenade found in French potato cargo

Still Waters

A German First World War hand grenade was found in a shipment of French potatoes imported for a Hong Kong crisp factory.

The bomb, measuring 8cm (3ins) wide and weighing about 1kg (2lb), was blown up in a controlled explosion following its discovery at the Calbee snack making plant.

The bomb is thought to have been left in a trench during the Great War and accidentally harvested with potatoes a century later.

https://news.sky.com/story/wwi-hand-grenade-found-in-french-potato-cargo-for-crisp-factory-11626963

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John n b said:

Bangers and mash anyone.

Funny !

Thats one hot potatoe. They constantly dig up unexploded ordnance from both world wars nothing new. 

• Like 1

WHEW/PHEW!  Good thing the shipment wasn't sent to North Korea  . . .  one can only imagine the title to that story.

Edited by MWoo7

During WW1 in France, long tunnels were sometimes dug under enemy installations for the purpose of setting off "mines" consisting of many tons of explosives. One such mine failed to detonate, when the switch was thrown. It was decided not to re-enter the tunnel, out of fear that it might trigger the charge and kill  the "sappers". So it remained in place, till a severe thunderstorm in the 1950's was enough to set it off, killing a number of cattle, but no people. Dare I say, a "blast from the past" ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Habitat said:

During WW1 in France, long tunnels were sometimes dug under enemy installations for the purpose of setting off "mines" consisting of many tons of explosives. One such mine failed to detonate, when the switch was thrown. It was decided not to re-enter the tunnel, out of fear that it might trigger the charge and kill  the "sappers". So it remained in place, till a severe thunderstorm in the 1950's was enough to set it off, killing a number of cattle, but no people. Dare I say, a "blast from the past" ?

I may be wrong, but I'm sure there's still another tunnel thats packed with explosives that didn't detonate.