Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I lost a something that meant a lot to me

Auntyseptic

Years ago, when my Nan was newly widowed, she was hanging out some washing and lost a dress ring that my Grandad had bought for her when they were younger. It wasn't particularly valuable but it had a lot of sentimental value. After looking for it for some time, even with the help of a metal detector, it couldn't be found and she resigned herself to the fact she would never see it again. 

My Nan remained living in that house until she passed away some 20 odd years later, and my Mum decided to sell the house which was snapped up pretty quickly. 

A few weeks later, the people who bought the house arrived at my Mums house with the ring, they had been doing some work in the garden and found it. 

My Mum was thrilled to see it again and decided to give it to me, being the careless idiot I am, I quickly lost it, I assumed it had fallen off my finger whilst out somewhere. 

A year or so later I woke up thinking about a particular book so I went to get it off the bookshelf and heard something fall to the floor. I looked down and there was the ring! 

The weirdest part is I didn't even own this bookcase at the time I lost the ring.

• Like 8

Yeah, well...memory is a funny thing.  When do you 'think' you acquired the bookshelf?  Got a receipt?  Are you sure you 'know' you lost the ring before and not after and if you do know...how do you know?  What is the date you actually lost the ring and what is the date you actually acquired the bookshelf.  If you cannot supply either of those facts....

....memory is a funny thing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joc said:

Yeah, well...memory is a funny thing.  When do you 'think' you acquired the bookshelf?  Got a receipt?  Are you sure you 'know' you lost the ring before and not after and if you do know...how do you know?  What is the date you actually lost the ring and what is the date you actually acquired the bookshelf.  If you cannot supply either of those facts....

....memory is a funny thing. 

Well I remember I lost the ring not long after I acquired it which was the year my nan died so 2009

I bought the book case in August 2011, I remember because as sad as it sounds it was kind of a big deal as we didn't have much money at the time and had been saving up to do the house up so bought a few things. Up until that point I didn't even own a bookcase. 

Still, what do i know eh. 

*edited to add details*

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, acute said:

Definitely a head-scratcher.

It was, I guess maybe my son or other half found it somewhere in the house and put it there and neglected to tell me but they both denied it. Plus it was an odd place to put it. 

• Like 4

^ That wouldn't explain you waking up thinking about the book, or is that not an unusual thing for you to do?

Edited by acute
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, acute said:

^ That wouldn't explain you waking up thinking about the book, or is that not unusual for you to do?

It is unusual, I usually wake up thinking about kittens and coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cat_From_Hell said:

Well I remember I lost the ring not long after I acquired it which was the year my nan died so 2009

I bought the book case in August 2011, I remember because as sad as it sounds it was kind of a big deal as we didn't have much money at the time and had been saving up to do the house up so bought a few things. Up until that point I didn't even own a bookcase. 

Still, what do i know eh. 

*edited to add details*

Hmm ....... suddenly the skeptics have all gone quiet after this post! :lol:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

They can think what they like, people always will anyway, I find the total dismissiveness quite funny actually, as if I would keep a receipt for a firkin bookcase. For years! But because I didn't, it never happened! 

From this day onwards I shall keep receipts for every purchase I make, no matter how mundane, you never know when you may need them! 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I for one went to bed....and now I am awake.  Not thinking about kittens...well, I wasn't until now...but I am definitely thinking about coffee and for the second day in a row my coffee maker has not come on at 5 am as it was programmed to do...so now, I am sitting here with sleepy eyes typing waiting for the damn coffee to make!  Life isn't fair!  Maybe thinking about kittens will help.  I'll try that now.  

Meanwhile...when I say memory is a funny thing...I mean...memory is ridiculously unreliable because our brains create memory from thought...and then we remember the thought as a fact even though it might have only been speculation at the time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cat_From_Hell said:

They can think what they like, people always will anyway, I find the total dismissiveness quite funny actually, as if I would keep a receipt for a firkin bookcase. For years! But because I didn't, it never happened! 

From this day onwards I shall keep receipts for every purchase I make, no matter how mundane, you never know when you may need them! 

I'm just saying...the ring did not materialize on your bookshelf.  And you should keep receipts.  Who doesn't keep receipts?  jk

...about the receipts...  

Somebody put that book on that bookshelf.  Somebody also put the ring on the shelf...unless....

ah, now it's making sense....the cat did it!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm just saying...the ring did not materialize on your bookshelf.  And you should keep receipts.  Who doesn't keep receipts?  jk

...about the receipts...  

Somebody put that book on that bookshelf.  Somebody also put the ring on the shelf...unless....

ah, now it's making sense....the cat did it!

You solved it! She is a little b*****! 

Maybe I should keep receipts but it was a cheapo bookshelf from an exclusive British store named after a character from Greek mythology. 

I am saving up for a nicer one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cat_From_Hell said:

You solved it! She is a little b*****! 

Maybe I should keep receipts but it was a cheapo bookshelf from an exclusive British store named after a character from Greek mythology. 

I am saving up for a nicer one. 

Forget the receipts already! lol   I was just pointing out that you are only going by memory on when it was purchased.  

But....back to the cat...kittens view everything as theirs...and everything is a game and everything is a toy.  It is quite possible a kitten found your precious...er...I mean...your ring.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Forget the receipts already! lol   I was just pointing out that you are only going by memory on when it was purchased.  

But....back to the cat...kittens view everything as theirs...and everything is a game and everything is a toy.  It is quite possible a kitten found your precious...er...I mean...your ring.

Yeah I know it didn't get there by magic, I put money on my son finding the ring and putting it on the shelf maybe, he denied it but kids do lie. Especially mine. 

I just woke up thinking about that book, and was delighted to find the one ring. 

And i get what you're saying about memory being unreliable, more and more the older I get! 

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cat_From_Hell said:

My Mum was thrilled to see it again and decided to give it to me, being the careless idiot I am, I quickly lost it, I assumed it had fallen off my finger whilst out somewhere. 

Where was the book just before you put it in the bookshelf?  In a box?  Maybe ...if it was in a box...the ring fell into the box when you put the book in there.   Subconsciously, your mind knows what happened...but consciously, you are clueless.  That might somehow explain the connection between the book and the ring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Where was the book just before you put it in the bookshelf?  In a box?  Maybe ...if it was in a box...the ring fell into the box when you put the book in there.   Subconsciously, your mind knows what happened...but consciously, you are clueless.  That might somehow explain the connection between the book and the ring.

It would have been in a box under the bed until I put it on the shelf so that's possible. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing there were other books in the box as well.  Did you put them all on the shelf or did you have helpers? 

Oh for goodness' sake! The exciting thing here is the dream about the book resulting in finding the ring. The rest isn't really worth discussing because the possibilities are endless ...... including materialisation. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Oh for goodness' sake! The exciting thing here is the dream about the book resulting in finding the ring. The rest isn't really worth discussing because the possibilities are endless ...... including materialisation. :)

You are right...which is why I said this!

36 minutes ago, joc said:

Subconsciously, your mind knows what happened...but consciously, you are clueless.  That might somehow explain the connection between the book and the ring.

The subconscious mind is a powerful entity all on its own.  Just like it uses dreams to interpret its own well being, it also attempts to connect to the conscious with information during our conscious awakened state.  There is a link between the book and the ring. What I find exciting is how our minds work...both subconsciously and consciously....two different states of consciousness in the same brain.

• Like 1