Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gramma and the Cardinal

papageorge1

Here is something I'd like to share with just those with an open mind:

Just things we would never hear about before the internet!

I can think like a skeptic too and know no story can't be doubted. At least no one can say: why is there no high-quality video evidence. But this is pretty unnatural from my whole life of witnessing this planet and its occupants. From a paranormal a consideration; can an animal allow a temporary human spirit possession? I think that is possible.

Share your thoughts or just enjoy the video with story.

Edited by papageorge1

Wow, very interesting. 

Edited by papageorge1

Most animals can be trained.

It is not unusual for cardinals to become habituated to humans. The one in the video might have latched on hoping to get fed.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Most animals can be trained.

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It is not unusual for cardinals to become habituated to humans. The one in the video might have latched on hoping to get fed.

I don't know if cardinals will do this but I have never seen a wild bird behave like that in all my years. If this was a trained bird then the video was deceptive to the point of being fraudulent. I can't dismiss anything but I am also not buying that as the most likely explanation at this point.

Papameter: Paranormal 62%...Normal 38%

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't know if cardinals will do this but I have never seen a wild bird behave like that in all my years.

It's not unusual behaviour for habituated cardinals. We had a beautiful American robin up at the cottage that would feed out of our hands and rest on our shoulders. It was obvious that at some earlier point it had become accustomed to being fed by humans.

The incident was most likely a coincidence that just happened to provide some solace to a family. There was nothing paranormal about it.

23 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It's not unusual behaviour for habituated cardinals. We had a beautiful American robin up at the cottage that would feed out of our hands and rest on our shoulders. It was obvious that at some earlier point it had become accustomed to being fed by humans.

The incident was most likely a coincidence that just happened to provide some solace to a family. There was nothing paranormal about it.

This was beyond feeding out of hand. And the participants probably would not have had  that reaction to a habituated case. Something seemed quite shocking and  abnormal to them.

Papameter is staying about where it was above.

26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

This was beyond feeding out of hand. And the participants probably would not have had  that reaction to a habituated case. Something seemed quite shocking and  abnormal to them.

It was not beyond the actions of a hungry bird accustomed to being fed by humans. It was 'shocking and abnormal' to the women in the video, because, they, like you, were most likely unaware that wild birds can indeed become habituated to humans. But hey, confirmation bias can be quite overwhelming too.

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It was not beyond the actions of a hungry bird accustomed to being fed by humans. It was 'shocking and abnormal' to the women in the video, because, they, like you, were most likely unaware that wild birds can indeed become habituated to humans. But hey, confirmation bias can be quite overwhelming too.

Mighty odd timing to have their first 'learning' experience. A strange coincidence is possible but I'm not calling it the most reasonable explanation either. As in all such cases, a definitive determination is not possible.

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Mighty odd timing to have their first 'learning' experience. A strange coincidence is possible but I'm not calling it the most reasonable explanation either. As in all such cases, a definitive determination is not possible.

We'll never know for certain why the cardinal attached itself to the woman, but it gave her a great deal of joy, and ultimately that's all that matters.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

and ultimately that's all that matters.

Well, and that the cardinal got a kick out of it, too :)

Thought to mention down in that part of the states the VIRGINIAS and CAROLINAS they kind of freak on those birds, so like hummingbirds, not surpising to have them sit on your hand feeding etc. over the years.  Also, am I not the only one that remembers BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET ... an absolute wave of religious tripe/spammish crap slamming everyone's emails a few years ago?

No reply necessary.

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

but it gave her a great deal of joy, and ultimately that's all that matters.

I hear that statement a lot and I am going to quarrel with it. Us learning about the nature of reality also matters. No, this one case doesn’t prove or disprove anything but it is another piece for consideration.

Beautiful looking bird, and I have no idea how they normally behave, but that is most unusual for just about any wild bird I've heard of. Certainly an interesting case, given there was claimed to be a "pact" involving such a bird.

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I hear that statement a lot and I am going to quarrel with it. Us learning about the nature of reality also matters. No, this one case doesn’t prove or disprove anything but it is another piece for consideration.

That statement doesn't negate anything. It's simply what sceptics say when they don't want to burst a person's balloon. 

• Haha 1

I found a more detailed discussion that goes with the video:

This is amazing- so as many know my husband’s grandmother Dorothy Booth passed into glory two weeks ago.. (she was 97)

For the past few years my mother-in-law Debbie and her sister Jeanne have talked to Grandma and on several occasions asked her (when it was her time to leave this world) send them a sign once she was in heaven, and they specifically asked that a cardinal would be involved. Aunt Jeanne also prayed that the Lord would do it in such a way that they would never have thought of. Well, God answered that prayer yesterday, (the day after grandmas memorial service, and hours after they had been talking about that very prayer) while they were playing grandmas favorite card game, “Canasta”!!!

They heard something at the kitchen window and my father-in-law Brian went out to check. A cardinal was there and he was able to bring it inside. For 10 min they held and pet it, then they decided to go outside to release it. Following is a short video clip of this amazing experience and what happens next! (The bird flew away 10 min later) You must watch!!

So the plot thickens. They are claiming the bird got THEIR attention at the window and allowed itself to be brought inside!

Edited by papageorge1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That statement doesn't negate anything. It's simply what sceptics say when they don't want to burst a person's balloon. 

Right but that post was directed to me, NOT the principle people who would never hear your real thoughts.

See above for update on this case.

I think the most interesting part of these stories, are not the people who want to believe them, but those who are very resistant, and would be horrified if it were true ! Go figure that out !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Are you familiar with this species of bird ? Unless you are, it is you exhibiting "confirmation bias", you've seen birds eating out  of people hands, you expect that is a bird-thing to do, and voila, here it is ! In my vicinity, there are zero birds or bird species that would do that, if wild birds, if pets, obviously not, but I have no idea whether this type of bird is ever domesticated .

10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Are you familiar with this species of bird ? Unless you are, it is you exhibiting "confirmation bias", you've seen birds eating out  of people hands, you expect that is a bird-thing to do, and voila, here it is ! In my vicinity, there are zero birds or bird species that would do that, if wild birds, if pets, obviously not, but I have no idea whether this type of bird is ever domesticated .

I am familiar with cardinals. They are at my feeder almost every day. 

Most of them are skittish and fly away. But I've had at least three "wild" birds land on me and/or climb onto my hand. Plus a half dozen that I picked up and held for a while after they had crashed into my window.

There is no way to tell if the cardinal in question is wild or maybe was raised by or habituated.

The partial clip of the incident doesn't show the arrival or ten minutes of interaction claimed. Not saying they should have filmed it all, but the lack of it gives no credence to the story.

It's just as possible that the bird was habituated or stunned from hitting a window or tired or sick. 

A nice coincidence as far as I see it.

• Like 1