Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia's most terrifying haunting -- Guyra

macqdor

as a ghost story.. it is not what you call very frightening .. so.. and in all honesty.. its not that famous over here

I'm not sure when and where I mentioned the case as being "famous." I posted the article to show that in 1921 a family encountered Poltergeist phenomena identical

to whats being reported today in various countries.  Every country.  There's multiple reports (identical in fact in characteristic) in various countries.  Happen  in all continents dating back 

to 856-858 C.E./ e.g. Bingen poltergeist

Feel free to take anyone of these "geist" characteristics and offer your theory as to root cause or better yet how you if you had the means would investigate

GO!

Edited by macqdor

5 hours ago, macqdor said:

I'm not sure when and where I mentioned the case as being "famous." I posted the article to show that in 1921 a family encountered Poltergeist phenomena identical

to whats being reported today in various countries.  Every country.  There's multiple reports (identical in fact in characteristic) in various countries.  Happen  in all continents dating back 

to 856-858 C.E./ e.g. Bingen poltergeist

Feel free to take anyone of these "geist" characteristics and offer your theory as to root cause or better yet how you if you had the means would investigate

GO!

you know I had actually started to write a nice big post to point out a few things regarding poltergeists through the ages..  (just on a side note.. it seems the first recorded poltergeist was from 94ad).. then I realized.. no matter what facts are put in front of you.. you will refuse to believe them.. Ghost Adventures did not find anything at your place.. and your still annoyed by that.. your looking for confirmation on what you believe (or faked) to be real.. anything that differs to that you will dismiss.. 

so.. back to the OP

GUYRA "GHOST" MYSTERY SOLVED
SYDNEY, April 26.
A message received from Guyra to-day
states that the police consider they have
settled the "ghost, or ghosts" who were
the cause of the prolonged nightly bom
bardment with stones of the dwelling oc
cupied by the Bowen family. They sus
pected that some of the people among the
volunteers, who kept a vigil around the
house, were "sympathetic" in relation to
ghosts. Accordingly they determined that
they alone should keep watch, and cer
tain persons especially were advised to
remain well away from the house. No
stones have been thrown since Thursday,
and this result, in conjunction with an
admission by a young member of the
Bowen household — a girl named Minnie —
that she had done a little stonethrowing
on her own account, satisfy the police that
they were right in not worrying spiritual
ists over the matter, and in taking such
precautions as would apply in cases of
human mischief makers.

THE GUYRA "GHOST".
WHOLE AFFAIR A HOAX.
The mystery of the Guyra "ghost" has
been solved. An Armidale (N.S.W.) mes
sage says the police have found
out that the whole affair was
a hoax. It is weeks since it was
first announced that the members of
the Bowen family were being worried by
the continual smashing of stones against
their domicile. The police from a nearby
station were .asked to have the miscreant
apprehended. They, however, could not
find anyone to change with the foolishness,
and in the course of time it was strongly
asserted that a ghost was at work tor-
menting the lite out of the household.
The whole affair developed along extra-
vagant lines, and eventually spirit con-
versations from a dead person were intro-
duced. The police refused to go searching
for spirits, and a suspicion entered into
their minds; last week the police officer
decided that certain persons should be
segregated, and observations made to see
what happened. As a result there have
been no stones thrown since Thursday
night, and the police action will probably
prevent any further trouble.
A Guyra message states that the girl,
Minnie Bowen (12), admitted to Sergeant
Ridge that she did cause three rappings,
two on one occasion, and one on another,
when she was not watched. It is explained
that she said she did this for a joke. She
denied all knowledge of complicity in other
matters in connection with the affair. The
police give credence to the child's story.

now if it was not the child? then why after this did it all stop? 
  • Thanks 1

you know I had actually started to write a nice big post to point out a few things regarding poltergeists through the ages..  (just on a side note.. it seems the first recorded poltergeist was from 94ad).. then I realized.. no matter what facts are put in front of you.. you will refuse to believe them.. Ghost Adventures did not find anything at your place.. and your still annoyed by that.. your looking for confirmation on what you believe (or faked) to be real.. anything that differs to that you will dismiss.. 

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,"  Ghost Adventures not finding anything was the best thing to ever happen to my case.  Once again this thread is not about my case. So there.

Reports of poltergeist activity go back centuries.    No one knows the exact date when the 1st poltergeist case was reported but I know of the 94 A.D incident as I read about it in Raymond Bayless's book

Enigma of the Poltergeist.    Its definitely worth reading.

Understand your talking to a person who doesn't believe it was the girl.   A human agent if one POV out of many as to what causes an poltergeist outbreak.  

I'm going to have to disagree with the police assessment of it being a hoaxed and the assessment of it being all tied to the girl.  Reason being.

The ‘supernatural attacks’ even saw the NSW State Government send a team of detectives from Sydney to cordon off the property and put the house under constant surveillance for months.

But the thumping perplexed even the officers. To those standing outside, the thumping seemed to come from within the house, but to those on the inside of the home, it appeared to take place outside. 

1. Sound displacement has been reported in other "geist" outbreaks.  Think of it as a DNA as far as "geist" activity is concerned.

Mr Cropper and Mr Healy even admit to such in the article.  I've experienced it 1st hand. 

2. Police and Law authorities surrounded the house for a period. Rocks still were being thrown in.

I'm not a scientist but I know its hard to throw a rock inside a house(multiple times)(multiple sides)  while you're inside.   No human being could do that. 

3.  Your assessment and analysis suggest you subscribe to the ockham's razor principle.  The simplest explanation e.g. it was the girl, it was a hoax is the most logical one.    The first word that comes out of a skeptics mouth were poltergeist reports are concerned most of the time even before all the data is looked at is the word HOAX.    I differ with that point of view where "geist" reports are concerned.   Just a difference of a opinion is all.

ockham's razor principle. - is the problem-solving principle that essentially states that simpler solutions are more likely to be correct than complex ones. When presented with competing hypotheses to solve a problem, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions

Why did the activity stop? 

Maybe because the girl was identified as the culprit when the evidence said other wise.    I wonder how many outbreaks go dormant after a female child, or child period gets accused of hoaxing.    My theory is the spirits themselves cease the activity after humans (in this case  law enforcement)  have made  someone a patsy.   

Edited by macqdor

I disagree.. why would a giest care if someone was made a patsy.. she was caught out.. the activity stopped because well.. the giest 'the girl' basically admitted it.. case closed move on. 

as for the other officers and their reports.. how would it look if you were busted for not doing your job properly.. 

mac how many times.. over the years.. even over the last 50 years.. has famous suspected supernatural causes in a house have been caught out to be fake.. 

7 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

mac how many times.. over the years.. even over the last 50 years.. has famous suspected supernatural causes in a house have been caught out to be fake.. 

All fake, you think ?

12 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yep, all fake

OK, thanks. :)

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

All fake, you think ?

I would not say all faked.. most of them yes.. others have been explained why the things happened.. etc.. 

will give you a example.. now a believer would say the following is geist activity.. 

papers in the living room began whirling in the air, and ornaments fell from a knickknack shelf and crashed to the floor....A heavy mirror fell from the bedroom wall and an ash tray that had been resting on a table with a glass top slammed against the surface with such force that the glass was shattered. (Christopher 1970: 142)

its typical giest activity.. 

its the story of Maude Connolly.. a widow with two adopted daughters living in Cape Cod in 1957..  it ticks the boxes.. 1 she is a widow.. 2.. has female children.. 3.. things flying around the room.. so on and so forth.. this happened while they were watching tv.. 

next morning she comes down to chairs knocked over.. this went on for a few days.. 

this would ping Mac's geist radar.. and other believers in poltergeists 

what was the cause? 

Strong down drafts from the chimney.. it stopped once she had a protective cover placed over the top of the chimney.. 

so no... not all are faked.. a large amount yes.. people love their 5 minutes of fame.. but also every other one that is not faked can be explained by natural occurrences..

actually remember watching one of the ghost shows.. doing one on a pub that was supposed to be haunted .. things moved around.. knocked over.. owners and staff believed it..

but the night vision camera's picked up a rat knocking over the plates from the shelf..  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DingoLingo said:

I would not say all faked.

i agree.. neither would i.... all i'm saying is:

the supernatural does not exist! if it did we would know it as fact by now

4 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

but also every other one that is not faked can be explained by natural occurrences..

Did you mean "also", or "almost" ?

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

also.. 

what I am saying is there is no such thing as geist activity as believers would have it.. it is either faked .. or there is a natural explanation to it..

one I found amusing to show people who believe in geists.. is to wash a glass and not dry it properly.. I would do that on my old bench.. and over time it would move.. it wasnt a ghost.. it was the water bead that allowed it to move across the bench next to the window.. 

Edited by DingoLingo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

he meant also- that's what he typed.. if you're suggesting <almost> then put forward something 

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

he meant also- that's what he typed.. if you're suggesting <almost> then put forward something 

One of the reasons I doubted, was the lack of commas, as in...…"but, also, every one....." :)

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

One of the reasons I doubted, was the lack of commas, as in...…"but, also, every one....." :)

sorry about that.. I am a lazy typist :P

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,"  Ghost Adventures not finding anything was the best thing to ever happen to my case.  Once again this thread is not about my case. So there.

Reports of poltergeist activity go back centuries.    No one knows the exact date when the 1st poltergeist case was reported but I know of the 94 A.D incident as I read about it in Raymond Bayless's book

Enigma of the Poltergeist.    Its definitely worth reading.

Understand your talking to a person who doesn't believe it was the girl.   A human agent if one POV out of many as to what causes an poltergeist outbreak.  

I'm going to have to disagree with the police assessment of it being a hoaxed and the assessment of it being all tied to the girl.  Reason being.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

no!! you've got a big mouth mate! you're trying to be clever but it aint working= now, say something interesting/ something worthy of debate:

put forward a claim/ a video (whatever) you feel is proof of the supernatural=== or shut the naff up!

• Thanks 1

@DingoLingo

There dissolves the discussion (with you) 

if its all fake and that which is not fake can be easily characterized then you sir/ maam' don't believe in the paranormal.  You don't believe in the possibility of a Poltergeist.

Humans are inherently flawed to the point of making up hoaxes to the point of reporting them.   And instances were hoaxing does not occur or been proven something logical eludes the average human.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad I think differently.  Even before my experience I always believed there's a first time for everything.   EVERYTHING including the Poltergeist.

Edited by macqdor

You do give me a laugh, dejarma, you sound like a retired RSM.

Poltergeists can actually "interfere" with your person, I've had clothing tugged, hair pulled (pretty gently, always on top of the head), all in a day's fun, nothing to worry about.

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You do give me a laugh, dejarma, you sound like a retired RSM.

childish reply... you've nothing interesting to say then? well, obviously not.. i've answered my own question- i'm a clever boy

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

childish reply... you've nothing interesting to say then? well, obviously not.. i've answered my own question- i'm a clever boy

You are a real boy !

Poltergeists can actually "interfere" with your person, I've had clothing tugged, hair pulled (pretty gently, always on top of the head), all in a day's fun, nothing to worry about.

@Habitat

I've had (been).

• sheets tugged
  • sheets yanked
  • poking and prodding
  • hand slap (in the face)
  • hand clap (near my eyes)
  • pushed and shoved

this level of audacity I cal an extreme haunting. Extreme targeting.

20 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@DingoLingo

There dissolves the discussion (with you) 

if its all fake and that which is not fake can be easily characterized then you sir/ maam' don't believe in the paranormal.  You don't believe in the possibility of a Poltergeist.

Humans are inherently flawed to the point of making up hoaxes to the point of reporting them.   And instances were hoaxing does not occur or been proven something logical eludes the average human.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad I think differently.  Even before my experience I always believed there's a first time for everything.   EVERYTHING including the Poltergeist.

heh.. again.. when faced with facts.. you deny and turn away.. 

did you sensationalize your own experience .. yes.. did you fake it.. yes.. did you draw the bits around your house.. yes.. 

I still remember when you first joined UM.. you were banging on about your experience.. and you still are.. that will never change.. 

3 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@Habitat

I've had (been).

• sheets tugged
  • sheets yanked
  • poking and prodding
  • hand slap (in the face)
  • hand clap (near my eyes)
  • pushed and shoved

this level of audacity I cal an extreme haunting. Extreme targeting.

prove it