Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump: US troops in Iraq to monitor Iran

Setton

Iraq's President Barham Saleh has rebuked Donald Trump over his comments that he wanted to maintain a US military presence there to watch Iran.

Mr Trump told CBS on Sunday he intended to keep an "incredible" base being used by US troops to combat the jihadist group Islamic State "because I want to be looking a little bit at Iran".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-47118889

Think the Iraqi's might have something to say about the US stationing troops there without consent. 

Idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Setton said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-47118889

Think the Iraqi's might have something to say about the US stationing troops there without consent. 

Idiot. 

We could always make Saleh's - and Iran's - lives more interesting by building a major airbase in Kurdish territory in the north of Iraq.  Maybe not such an idiot?  It's called Realpolitik.  Or we could simply satisfy the Trump/America haters by pulling out and allowing the idiots to burn the region down through sheer, hateful stupidity.  Yeah, that sounds brilliant.  Then you could squeal about Trump or America causing you to pay more for fuel.  What a deal!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, and then said:

We could always make Saleh's - and Iran's - lives more interesting by building a major airbase in Kurdish territory in the north of Iraq.  Maybe not such an idiot?  It's called Realpolitik.  Or we could simply satisfy the Trump/America haters by pulling out and allowing the idiots to burn the region down through sheer, hateful stupidity.  Yeah, that sounds brilliant.  Then you could squeal about Trump or America causing you to pay more for fuel.  What a deal!

Or you could keep to the treaties you've signed and limit your mission to training and counter terrorism. 

Doesn't matter anyway. Whether you pull out or not, the Iraqi's are going to throw you out soon. And if you want to stay, you'll have another insurgency on your hands. Without international backing. 

22 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I think Trump's planning to build a Trump tower so his troops can spy into Iran from the 150th floor.

Well, that place IS known for its tower ;)   It's still a place of confusion and always will be.  I think we should offer Iraq ownership of the multi-billion dollar U.S. Embassy compound for an equal sized parcel of land in the Kurdish section so we can build a massive airbase within territory where we aren't loathed - yet.  Running surveillance drones and keeping AWACS type aircraft on regular patrols will go a long way towards keeping the peace IF Iran wants peace.  If they don't then we'll be ready to deal death in a massive way with a hammer and anvil approach between the Kurdish territory and at sea power in the Persian Gulf.  The war is coming for the region and it cannot be stopped.  The only question is whether the U.S. will face it proactively or be dragged in after we suffer another mass casualty event here at home.  Showing strength is the only way to impede power-hungry Islamic Fundamentalists.  There can only be peace when both partners want it.

27 minutes ago, and then said:

Well, that place IS known for its tower ;)   It's still a place of confusion and always will be.  I think we should offer Iraq ownership of the multi-billion dollar U.S. Embassy compound for an equal sized parcel of land in the Kurdish section so we can build a massive airbase within territory where we aren't loathed - yet.  ....

Hmm.. that's the problem though isn't it ? If they built an airbase, then within a few months, they WOULD be loathed. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. that's the problem though isn't it ? If they built an airbase, then within a few months, they WOULD be loathed. 

Not the Kurds.  They've PROVEN themselves to understand the value of an alliance.  Most would have been slaughtered after the Kuwait war had HW Bush not insisted on a no-fly zone against Saddam.  They are the only proof I've seen that a large population of Muslims in the M.E. can be rational and productive.

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Not the Kurds.  They've PROVEN themselves to understand the value of an alliance.  Most would have been slaughtered after the Kuwait war had HW Bush not insisted on a no-fly zone against Saddam.  They are the only proof I've seen that a large population of Muslims in the M.E. can be rational and productive.

Yes, when they are the underdogs. If they started to gain power - which an american airbase might allow them to do - then they might change. Mohammed - the supreme example to man - was mild and meek in Medina... until he got the upper hand. Then the swords came out !

40 minutes ago, and then said:

Well, that place IS known for its tower ;)   It's still a place of confusion and always will be.  I think we should offer Iraq ownership of the multi-billion dollar U.S. Embassy compound for an equal sized parcel of land in the Kurdish section so we can build a massive airbase within territory where we aren't loathed - yet.  Running surveillance drones and keeping AWACS type aircraft on regular patrols will go a long way towards keeping the peace IF Iran wants peace.  If they don't then we'll be ready to deal death in a massive way with a hammer and anvil approach between the Kurdish territory and at sea power in the Persian Gulf.  The war is coming for the region and it cannot be stopped.  The only question is whether the U.S. will face it proactively or be dragged in after we suffer another mass casualty event here at home.  Showing strength is the only way to impede power-hungry Islamic Fundamentalists.  There can only be peace when both partners want it.

I wasn't aware the Kurds were independent from Iraq. In the end the ruling Govt of Iraq will decide and going by their past vibes they don't want us westerners there ( I include coalition partners as well). Forcing our presence is what makes them loathe us.

42 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I wasn't aware the Kurds were independent from Iraq. In the end the ruling Govt of Iraq will decide and going by their past vibes they don't want us westerners there ( I include coalition partners as well). Forcing our presence is what makes them loathe us.

That's because they aren't. It's a semi-autonomous region but they don't have the authority to permit foreign forces to occupy Iraqi territory. 

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aztek said:

lol is idiot a signature below your post,?  very nice, i approve

I gave up any hope of expecting better from you years ago. 

I only hope you can keep that sense of humour when your soldiers start being pointlessly slaughtered again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

Are we not about to leave their cousins holding the bag in Syria?  Some vague promise that we will put the hurt on Turkey's economy if they mess with the Kurds, and the threat of a Russian backed Assad  as their neighbor probably doesn't help the Syrian Kurds sleep well at night. The Kurds in Iraq have as many reasons to distrust us as they do to trust us.  They know the value of an alliance, they may not be sure of their partner.  The United States and its policies change to some degree with every President that takes office.  If they are smart, they have figured out that the US will not behave the same way under different presidents.

8 hours ago, Setton said:

I gave up any hope of expecting better from you years ago. 

I only hope you can keep that sense of humour when your soldiers start being pointlessly slaughtered again. 

the way i see it vast majority of wars we are involved since ww2 are needles.  they are fighting for the interest of fed.gov, not the people 

Edited by aztek

2 hours ago, aztek said:

the way i see it vast majority of wars we are involved since ww2 are needles.  they are fighting for the interest of fed.gov, not the people 

Well that's true. 

So why keep troops in a country that doesn't want you? 

24 minutes ago, aztek said:

politics

What do you think the political reason is? 

No one is asking you to station troops in Iraq. The only political outcome is making another enemy. 

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

What do you think the political reason is? 

No one is asking you to station troops in Iraq. The only political outcome is making another enemy. 

simple reason really, money and power. what else do you think people go after when they get into politics? peace on earth?? lmao.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

simple reason really, money and power. what else do you think people go after when they get into politics? peace on earth?? lmao.

Well if that's the case for you, you need to start electing some better politicians. 

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

Well if that's the case for you, you need to start electing some better politicians. 

sure thing, i'll get right on it.  and while i'm doing that , you find some dry water, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1