Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Funny pseudoscience in the paranormal field

ParahormonalActivity

I get a good chuckle out of stuff like this. "I've been told - with no proof whatsoever - that an EMF meter can detect ghosts. A spinning magnet can trigger a reading on an EMF meter...therefore: Ghosts can eat spinning magnets and get stronger!"  It's one hilarious assumption after another. All the gadgetry of the "paranormal investigators" reminds me of the spirit cabinets and seance tricks of the Victorian spiritualists. I swear that subconsciously, every "ghost hunter" knows that it's just LARP

Edited by ParahormonalActivity
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ParahormonalActivity said:

I get a good chuckle out of stuff like this. "I've been told - with no proof whatsoever - that an EMF meter can detect ghosts. A spinning magnet can trigger a reading on an EMF meter...therefore: Ghosts can eat spinning magnets and get stronger!"  It's one hilarious assumption after another. All the gadgetry of the "paranormal investigators" reminds me of the spirit cabinets and seance tricks of the Victorian spiritualists. I swear that subconsciously, every "ghost hunter" knows that it's just LARP

And my thought is that some dismiss this stuff too quickly. What do you understand about ghosts? Energy and ghosts?

At this point I am listening to these things but realize they are ultimately over my head at this time. My honest opinion; there is probably something to this type stuff.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

well, seeing as there has never been a single verifiable ghost EVER recorded in history, nor any 'gaps' in the map of science that suggests 'space' for supernatural energies, then I would suggest that the term "pseudoscience" should be replaced by the term "fanciful gibberish" ? :) 

Er......speaking of ‘fanciful gibberish’....

But seriously I think you underestimate the human experience and paranormal investigations while overrating  the position of science.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Er......speaking of ‘fanciful gibberish’....

But seriously I think you underestimate the human experience and paranormal investigations while overrating  the position of science.

Hmm.. well... OK.. perhaps I should modify my statement ? 

"Total Gibberish" ? :D 

Hundreds of years of "paranormal investigations" have turned up nothing ! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Turned up a lot in my view. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Turned up a lot in my view. 

Oh really ? 

• Like 1

Paranormal investigators such as Ed and Lorraine are great researches (cough).

It is folks such as this that have made up such things as their confirmation of the Snedecker family and the Amityville horror. Both of these hoaxes were supported by the Warrens. That's the tip of the iceberg by a couple of people who see demons everywhere.

They once had a visit by a skeptics group that was at first not allowed into their museum of haunted objects because the skeptics ere all atheists and the Warrens claimed that they could not defend the skeptics against the demons that were likely to be housed in their museum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The funny thing about the ghost hunting to me is the EVP. If you look back in time to the Bell Witch you see long discussions happening. Today it is an indistinct word at best. What happened? Why can't these entities talk in long clear English sentences? Where is the enunciation? Where is the correct grammatical form of the language?

I suppose that shows that the older stories are just stories. The advent of modern devices has prevented the hoaxes of yesteryear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spinning a magnet like that produces a rotating magnetic field, not an electromagnetic field, as he claims. If spirits are truly strengthened by electromagnetic fields, he'd be better off using a small radio transmitter, like a citizens band set, to summon them! Induced magnetic fields, like the one he demonstrated are very limited in range. I doubt that he could detect it at all with those meters he used, more than a few feet from his device.

Added-- Just for fun, I spun a similar magnet, on edge, like a coin, near my portable magnetometer. At a distance of a few inches, I observed full scale deflection of the meter ( > 3 milligauss). At 2 feet, nothing.

Edited by bison
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Where do this ideas of EMF and other symptoms of ghost come from anyway? Who decides whats correct or not? Like the idea of tragic deaths making for a haunting......really just who decides that is true besides rumour mongers. I hear also spirits thrive on your fear etc. Says who? Who is the Head of Ghost Norms that is in charge of organizing these odd ideas? Not one to say some of its not true but who is the authority that has communed with these spirits to glean this knowledge?

Edited by jamesjr191

On 2/5/2019 at 7:32 PM, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. well... OK.. perhaps I should modify my statement ? 

"Total Gibberish" ? :D 

Nothing, you say??? What about all the "P" and "B" sounds whispered into medium's ears? What about all the "orbs"!!! What about all those fuzzy white smudges and blurry bits!! What about all those random noises off-camera! You are playing with fire, and mocking forces beyond your comprehension!

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

Where do this ideas of EMF and other symptoms of ghost come from anyway? Who decides whats correct or not? Like the idea of tragic deaths making for a haunting......really just who decides that is true besides rumour mongers. I hear also spirits thrive on your fear etc. Says who? Who is the Head of Ghost Norms that is in charge of organizing these odd ideas? Not one to say some of its not true but who is the authority that has communed with these spirits to glean this knowledge?

It's easy. First you find a piece of cheap equipment that can be relied upon to randomly produce odd readings. Then you attribute those to ghosts. Then you start telling other Ghostbusters this, until they are all waving around the same thing you are.

37 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, RoofGardener said:

well, seeing as there has never been a single verifiable ghost EVER recorded in history, nor any 'gaps' in the map of science that suggests 'space' for supernatural energies, then I would suggest that the term "pseudoscience" should be replaced by the term "fanciful gibberish" ? :) 

How would you record a ghost? Do you expect it to be videotaped?  If so I would say your reaching a bit to say never but im not about to look at videos to find one because personally im not so sure ghosts even are what people think they are.

I definitely wouldnt say theres"no space for supernatural energies" either as i believe most matter (dark matter) which isnt detectable lurks in a nearby dimension. We arent on the only plain. I would agree that until there a verifiable methods of measuring those assumptions or details noticed cant be considered fact. But this doesn't always mean it doesn't exist, just that we lack enough understanding of it to prediict or measure it.

Now take what cern stated about other dimensions.  https://public-archive.web.cern.ch/public-archive/en/Science/Dimensions-en.html

There is indeed a place they may exist and you might note the behavior of material that skips between the dimensions.

Might now be the answer and just another random quess but when i hear "where are they" it seems plausible.

https://home.cern/science/physics/extra-dimensions-gravitons-and-tiny-black-holes

Also i think there would likely be a correlation because as cern theorizes that we share gravity with other dimensions, so may magnetic energy be related. I recently read the only difference is the polarity. Electromagnitic energy has 2 poles, while gravity has one. In fact im pretty sure electromagnetism is a key part of how saucers travel in between. Also that the certain materials used are the heaviest in thier groups on the periodic table, those that act as if they were on the line below themselves. Bismuth and Ununpentium. Try spinning those and i bet you get an electromagnetic measurement.  https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.21.4419

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

How would you record a ghost? Do you expect it to be videotaped?  If so I would say your reaching a bit to say never but im not about to look at videos to find one because personally im not so sure ghosts even are what people think they are.

I definitely wouldnt say theres"no space for supernatural energies" either as i believe most matter (dark matter) which isnt detectable lurks in a nearby dimension. We arent on the only plain. I would agree that until there a verifiable methods of measuring those assumptions or details noticed cant be considered fact. But this doesn't always mean it doesn't exist, just that we lack enough understanding of it to prediict or measure it.

"Hmmmmm........"

44 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Also i think there would likely be a correlation because as cern theorizes that we share gravity with other dimensions, so may magnetic energy be related. I recently read the only difference is the polarity. Electromagnitic energy has 2 poles, while gravity has one. In fact im pretty sure electromagnetism is a key part of how saucers travel in between. Also that the certain materials used are the heaviest in thier groups on the periodic table, those that act as if they were on the line below themselves. Bismuth and Ununpentium. Try spinning those and i bet you get an electromagnetic measurement.  https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.21.4419

Umm... No ? 

MAGNETISM has two poles. Electro-magnetism does NOT. 

You can spin a piece of Bismuth until the cows come home, and it will NOT generate electromagnetism. UNLESS it is in a strong MAGNETIC field. At which point this is 'standard' physics. It is how transformers work. And radio stations. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, ParahormonalActivity said:

Wow thsts a new one

On 2/8/2019 at 7:16 AM, Nnicolette said:

Now take what cern stated about other dimensions.  https://public-archive.web.cern.ch/public-archive/en/Science/Dimensions-en.html

There is indeed a place they may exist and you might note the behavior of material that skips between the dimensions.

Might now be the answer and just another random quess but when i hear "where are they" it seems plausible.

https://home.cern/science/physics/extra-dimensions-gravitons-and-tiny-black-holes

The CERN article is using the term dimension in a manner that is different that you are using it. Maybe not. Let's see.

The dimensions they refer to are part of our universe. I get the feeling that you are using dimension as some other place such as a separate universe or place.

In the example of the ants, these particles are simply going under the wire just as the ants can go under the wire. The ants disappearing under the wire only means that the tightrope walker cannot see them, not that the ants have left the  universe.

• Like 6

Pseudo-science, metaphysical and Paranormal are in the same category.

All are filled to the brim -overflowing even- with anecdotal, unsubstantiated 'evidence' yet nary a shred of incontrovertible evidence to be documented.

• Like 5

Not quite sure if crystal power falls into this category of the paranormal. I suppose it does since it is supposed to be the source of some energy.

Went into a rock shop one time. If you are digging crystals it is a way of finding out what is being found in the area. There were two women looking over the specimens on sale. One picks up a rather large quartz crystal and calls for her friend to look at it. Here friend turns around to see that the woman is holding the crystal in her hand with the tip pointed at her. The woman makes this arch as if she is letting the unseen beam pass under her. She shrieks.  Here friend holding the crystal is stunned silent. Her upset friend tells her, "Never point a crystal with that much power at a living being ever again." The first woman lowers her hand so that the quartz crystal is pointed at the floor and starts to whimper.

I had to clamp my hands over my mouth to prevent laughing out loud. I turned away and worked on composing myself after seeing that great comedy sketch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, Bendy Demon said:

Pseudo-science, metaphysical and Paranormal are in the same category.

All are filled to the brim -overflowing even- with anecdotal, unsubstantiated 'evidence' yet nary a shred of incontrovertible evidence to be documented.

And all it would take to substantiate centuries of alleged ghost "research"  would be one incontrovertible photograph. But so far, every alleged photograph has either been dismissed as a fake, camera error or just natural phenomena. Even long-standing pillars of ghost "proof" such as the Brown Lady photograph have not held up to scrutiny. It gets a little more than annoying when ghost photograph enthusiasts say such meaningless bunk as "This photo is from the 1800's, it can possibly have been faked!". A: Ghost hoaxes have been done for as long as there have been cameras. B: Once a photo is uploaded to digital format on a computer, anyone can do anything with it, its called "Photoshop".  

• Like 1

I was traveling in India. Amazing place. Full of all sorts of things I could never have imagined till went there. People opening selling magnets to cure diseases. Magnificent paintings and carvings. Centuries of ruins from palaces to artwork. I noticed at many places that there were what appeared to men in drag.

I have to warn you that the following was told to me and I cannot do more than repeat as closely as to what I was told. These were supposed to be people of a third gender, neither male nor female. They were neutral. Their presence was considered auspices. They visited each birth to determine if it was a boy or a girl or one of their kind. If it was the child was whisked away to their care to bring him up in the world of the neutral.

Is there a third gender? I doubt it. Is it funny? In the sense of being odd I suppose it is funny pseudoscience.

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, stereologist said:

Went into a rock shop one time. If you are digging crystals it is a way of finding out what is being found in the area. There were two women looking over the specimens on sale. One picks up a rather large quartz crystal and calls for her friend to look at it. Here friend turns around to see that the woman is holding the crystal in her hand with the tip pointed at her. The woman makes this arch as if she is letting the unseen beam pass under her. She shrieks.  Here friend holding the crystal is stunned silent. Her upset friend tells her, "Never point a crystal with that much power at a living being ever again." The first woman lowers her hand so that the quartz crystal is pointed at the floor and starts to whimper.

Gods! Those crystal flakes frequent my favorite rock shop up in Cherry Hill. They even sell crystal books in there that talks about their "uses and powers". I did buy 'Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic' just for the folklore in it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2019-03-05 at 3:43 PM, stereologist said:

Not quite sure if crystal power falls into this category of the paranormal. I suppose it does since it is supposed to be the source of some energy.

I had to clamp my hands over my mouth to prevent laughing out loud. I turned away and worked on composing myself after seeing that great comedy sketch.

They were into other heavier types of crystal substances by the sound of it.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Haha 3

I was collecting quartz crystals in Arkansas years back and there was a woman there being dragged from dirt pile to dirt pile screaming in agony.

She'd ask, "Can you move me?" They'd grab an arm each and drag her to the next place she wanted to search. As they did there would be a piercing constant scream. She'd recover shortly and with here small garden tool slowly dig through the dirt looking for crystals.

After a few hours of this I went over with one of my bigger crystals and offered it to her since she had found nothing. She rolled over with a small shriek leaking out of her mouth.

"No, thank  you" she said. "I need to heal my knees. The crystal that will do that will call me and I will come to it and it will be found."

She rolled back with a whimper and kept scratching at the dirt.

At the end of the day with me being partially deafened she left empty handed and I had a pile of good sized crystals.