Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Funny pseudoscience in the paranormal field

ParahormonalActivity

On 05/02/2019 at 5:51 PM, papageorge1 said:

And my thought is that some dismiss this stuff too quickly. What do you understand about ghosts? Energy and ghosts?

At this point I am listening to these things but realize they are ultimately over my head at this time. My honest opinion; there is probably something to this type stuff.

And that is the problem. People who, due to a lack of understanding, are not in a position to make a reasoned judgement on the matter but nevertheless hold strong but erroneous opinions about it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

And that is the problem. People who, due to a lack of understanding, are not in a position to make a reasoned judgement on the matter but nevertheless hold strong but erroneous opinions about it.

I am listening to people more knowledgeable than I in this field. That is just what 'lay' people do in all subjects.

I am aware the paranormal has its proponents and critics of these newer devices, so I'm still listening. However at just the level of human experiencing I believe beyond reasonable doubt that so-called paranormal things do occur and that there must be something going on under the hood. I have seen enough to believe these devices are likely onto things.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:04 AM, RoofGardener said:

"Hmmmmm........"

Umm... No ? 

MAGNETISM has two poles. Electro-magnetism does NOT. 

You can spin a piece of Bismuth until the cows come home, and it will NOT generate electromagnetism. UNLESS it is in a strong MAGNETIC field. At which point this is 'standard' physics. It is how transformers work. And radio stations. 

No idea about spinning rocks and metals but yes, electromagnets do have two poles as well.

If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

Just going to leave this here:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

Just going to leave this here:

:lol::lol::lol:

4 hours ago, moonman said:

Is that a ****ing joke? 

Nope, did a super quick search on google. Was one of the products for sale on a page that caters to 'ghost hunters;. I think it was ONLY 259.00 dollars. They had a smaller version for sale for 79.00 for the budget minded ghost hunter:tu:

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Nope, did a super quick search on google. Was one of the products for sale on a page that caters to 'ghost hunters;. I think it was ONLY 259.00 dollars. They had a smaller version for sale for 79.00 for the budget minded ghost hunter:tu:

My wife has a PhD and worked in and published works involving EMF meter use and she gets a huge laugh at the ghost hunters using EMF and other meters and incorrectly on top of it and thumping their chests its proof of ghosts.

A few years back she had a ghost finding app on her phone she found it hilarious,

Many years back i knew a girl who insisted a ghost named boswell spoke through her, ahem furby, i asked her to tape it and it was just furby talk but she swore when she made the tape it was a males voice and changed after tape playback.. 

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

My wife has a PhD and worked in and published works involving EMF meter use and she gets a huge laugh at the ghost hunters using EMF and other meters and incorrectly on top of it and thumping their chests its proof of ghosts.

A few years back she had a ghost finding app on her phone she found it hilarious,

Many years back i knew a girl who insisted a ghost named boswell spoke through her, ahem furby, i asked her to tape it and it was just furby talk but she swore when she made the tape it was a males voice and changed after tape playback.. 

While I am not a believer in ghosts/hauntings in general there has always been a part of me that would like to believe in that sort of thing. 

The older I get and the more I see anything related to 'paranormal investigation' and claims related to it the more I am disappointed at just how silly it is. Nearly EVERY SINGLE "tool" used by "investigators" is just so terrible, unreliable, not suited for whatever it is they are attempting to prove, random and chaotic, unproven scientifically and not useful at all for measuring pretty much anything at all. When some of the tools include dowsing rods, Ouija boards, "psychics and mediums" and simply going by "feelings" the whole process just is what it is, they want to be scared, frightened and feel like they are special (that and want to basically hoax people who are prone to believe the same). 

Here ya go:

http://www.boobuddy.com/

https://www.ghoststop.com/BooBuddy-Jr-Trigger-Bear-p/trigger-boobuddy.htm

https://www.ghoststop.com/Flux-Ghost-Response-Device-p/motion-flux.htm

I especially like the Flux Ghost Response Device. It is a binary electronic magic 8 ball. Personally I like the magic 8 ball better.

• Like 4

Toad,

I don't know what happens to us after we die... but I'll bet you wherever Mary is now... she's nowhere near Indrid Cold.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, jamesjr191 said:

Where do this ideas of EMF and other symptoms of ghost come from anyway? Who decides whats correct or not? Like the idea of tragic deaths making for a haunting......really just who decides that is true besides rumour mongers. I hear also spirits thrive on your fear etc. Says who? Who is the Head of Ghost Norms that is in charge of organizing these odd ideas? Not one to say some of its not true but who is the authority that has communed with these spirits to glean this knowledge?

Professors Dumbledore and Snape.

• Haha 2

I was listening to a podcast the other day and it involved skeptics going to a haunted house. The group was there along with some ghost hunters.

While the skeptics were unable to find or detect anything the ghost hunters were quite excited about some EVPs they had collected. Since they seemed to  have found something one of the skeptics decided it was prudent to listen in. What was on the recording certainly sounded like voices. They were a bit muffled and there was the background noise that made it difficult to interpret what was being said. Then another skeptic comes over to see what is happening and he listens to the tape. He is able to tell them exactly what was being stated. Everyone is amazed until it is revealed that the EVP is a recording of people outside of the haunted house.

The skeptics are then asked to leave because the ghost hunters do not believe they picked up voices outside of the old house. They go back to reveling in getting some good EVPs.

• Like 1

The one "tool" that blew my mind is the "emf pump". Apparently they feed on emf. Don't ask me how they know that.

The whole spirit box radio scanner thing is just silly too.

Edited by esoteric_toad

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

I was listening to a podcast the other day and it involved skeptics going to a haunted house. The group was there along with some ghost hunters.

While the skeptics were unable to find or detect anything the ghost hunters were quite excited about some EVPs they had collected. Since they seemed to  have found something one of the skeptics decided it was prudent to listen in. What was on the recording certainly sounded like voices. They were a bit muffled and there was the background noise that made it difficult to interpret what was being said. Then another skeptic comes over to see what is happening and he listens to the tape. He is able to tell them exactly what was being stated. Everyone is amazed until it is revealed that the EVP is a recording of people outside of the haunted house.

The skeptics are then asked to leave because the ghost hunters do not believe they picked up voices outside of the old house. They go back to reveling in getting some good EVPs.

Reality is no fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many years back a friend was into ghost hunting and her and some others would go to various locations and take puctures and every dust speck orb or mist was a ghost according to them.

My friend john rip decised to fool with her he was an armature photographer and grabbed a shot of winterpark cemetery, he then took an old pic of a model he had that was a bit side front view only wearing a large mans white dress shirt.

He faded her out added ut to the cemetery pic and would email me the drafts, i would give suggestions and it looked good like the countless other fakes out there, but we knew the place we knew the model.

He sent it to our friend and it went nuts, everyone in her group agreed it was the real deal, it was all over their ghost hunter web site and it was really a blow, deeply hurt the girl when john told her it was a fake he made,

And even then some of the group insisted to see both orginal pictures and even then were odd about admitting it was fake, they tired to find reasons to hang on, i see that happen with lots of creepypasta, sometimes its more fun not to know or admit, then enter $$$ of course fake reality shows want to keep the mystique alive...ripley earned a great living doing it.

Someone who posts here has one of those bears. I saw a video of it. I wasn’t impressed. 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is an app called Ghost Radar that I have on my iPhone.  My nephew had it on his and I downloaded it.  Some spooky stuff came up with that app in my mother's kitchen.  Some thing I know now that I didn't then was that smart phones listen to your conversations and based on that might know which room you are in.  I never thought about it until I had lunch with my friend and told her about a trip I took with my daughter to Chincoteauge Island.  The next time I opened my phone it had pictures up that I had taken on that vacation.  I had downloaded those pictures to my computer and deleted them off the phone so even though you have the cloud option turned off, it saves stuff to the cloud, then can pull it up base on a conversation it "overheard".   So, the ghost radar voice option may be based on that, not actual data it is getting.  That is not to say that I don't believe in ghosts or paranormal activity, it is to say that the better the electronic devices, the more suspicious I am.  If it is only magnets and heat sensors I can accept it might indicate something.  This kind of thing also explains why sometimes I open the phone and it has safari open to a specific website that I had never searched for.

Edited by Desertrat56

Another funny story had to do with a boss of mine that was crackers. He hired a feng shui "expert" who came to the office.

After a cursory examination of the premises came into my office to inspect the electromagnetic fog situation. The power for the building came in close to my office. He noticed that I had a lot of crystals in the office and commented on how the crystals were protecting me from the harm of electromagnetical fogs. He went over to the window where my crystals were arranged and ran his fingers just above the biggest plate of quart crystals. He made some odd sounds and proclaimed he could feel the positive energy of the crystals. He told me that I had a powerful collection of crystals. He tried to  identify some of them but got them all wrong. I had some odd minerals such as a doubly terminated serandite, and catapleites and other uncommon minerals around the quartz plate.

After he finished his mumbo jumbo I pointed out that all of the quartz crystals were missing their tips due to the explosives used to separate the vein from the bedrock, and that I had boiled the crystals in an acid bath to remove an epitaxial growth of iron compounds. I told him there was no point in whispering around these crystals they had been through hell to end up on my shelf by the window.

Not to be outdone he pulled out his collection of electromagnetical fog dissipators which were just reflective tape wrapped into a triangle with a wad of silly putty on one side to make them stick to walls. He methodically walked around my office and paused at various locations pretending to do complicated mathematical computations in his head to get the maximum out of his dissipators.

I thought that was really goofy till the boss and the wife stuck their head in and agreed that the office was now safe to enter.

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2019 at 3:20 AM, the13bats said:

One halloween I went with a woman who called herself a 'psychic medium' to a mansion where the owner wanted to get information from his deceased brother.  I was in charge of taking heat readings and the medium insisted that if ghosts were present the temperature would drop.  She did her schtick and I took temperature readings.  What I found was that the temperature was warmer close to the table where she was reading than in the rest of the room.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is the latest funny.

The former Supreme Court Chief Justice of Australia, Sir George Murray, has expressed his concern with plans to redevelop the Adelaide courtroom where he spent over a quarter of a century — despite dying almost 80 years ago.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/01/ghost-of-aussie-chief-justice-upset-with-17-million-supreme-court-redevelopment-claims-psychic-medium/

The $31 million (£17 million) plans to upgrade the state’s Supreme and District Court buildings, including the addition of three criminal courtrooms, took an unexpected turn recently when an unnamed psychic medium informed building contractors that Sir Murray was less than impressed with the redevelopment.

This is hilarious. They hired the psychic because she told them a dead guy was upset with the plans to renovate the building.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

i know true believers will have a zillion excuses but if ghosts spirits whatever could in any way shape or form effect us i ln our world it would be going on all the time, i have deceased family and friends who would just have to contact me, so do most people and it just never happens.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i know true believers will have a zillion excuses but if ghosts spirits whatever could in any way shape or form effect us i ln our world it would be going on all the time, i have deceased family and friends who would just have to contact me, so do most people and it just never happens.

Consider this for a moment. If demons exist, can be actually summon and bound into service. Then there would be heavy regulations against occultism. People would literally have spiritual weapons of mass destruction. As many supposed "horror stories" there are, you'd figure there would be something conclusive by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 9:04 PM, jamesjr191 said:

Where do this ideas of EMF and other symptoms of ghost come from anyway? Who decides whats correct or not? Like the idea of tragic deaths making for a haunting......really just who decides that is true besides rumour mongers. I hear also spirits thrive on your fear etc. Says who? Who is the Head of Ghost Norms that is in charge of organizing these odd ideas? Not one to say some of its not true but who is the authority that has communed with these spirits to glean this knowledge?

I know this post is old now but I thought it was worth commenting on.

Most of the time these things come from stories, books or movies. Typically the public tends to be fooled by the tagline "based on a true story"  and everything snowballs down hill from there.

The whole "Tragic deaths make a haunting thing" has always been pretty interesting to me.
Purely because of how... human.. it all is.

• Like 2