Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shower Drain Clog

LucidElement

I bought a Lennar townhome a couple years ago. My shower drain keeps backing up and I used draino a couple times but was told not to .. Even the draino didn't help.

I may have to hire a plumber to come clear this drain out. I attached a picture and was curious to know if im supposed to clear out all that buildup around the sides of the drain? All that "brownish stuff" it feels like im chipping away at a brick.. Im just nervous if i break it up it will fall down the drain and possibly get stuck deep down?

Is it better to have the plumber come for a 100.00 ( family discount through this plumbing company)

or if anyone has any ideas I should do let me know? I do not own a shop vac or a snake.

I did however take a hanger yesterday and moved some stuff around in the drain and now the backup is gone. But the drain still looks like that. Not sure if its buildup that makes it so tough, or if its some sort of glue that should be there.

First time homeowner and not very good with the home improvement lol.

rsz_40032.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LucidElement

• Guyver

• the13bats

• zep73

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That drain looks terrible.  I would have a pro come and look at it.  It's worth the hundred bucks......IMO.  I do clear my own drain clogs, but I've learned how to do it safely because it's just my wife's long hair building up in there over time.  But yeah, a backed up drain is no fun.  

If you used a powder (dry) drain cleaner it could have worsened the problem. Tried that once. Been using liquid since.

Are the pipes iron, galvanized, pvc?

3 years ago we bought a old house over 100yo the upstairs bathroom drains from tub and sink were old galvanized pipe and rusted and blocked up near solid, and hadnt been used in about 20 years, i had to run new pvc from tub and sink to main iron drain that is luckily still good.

Your picture i would have more expected to be a clogged toilet drain, i have hair to my butt and my shower clogs with nasty hair mess but, i have no clue what that gross mess is you showed, a drain should be as clean and clear as possible,