Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doing God's will.

Will Due

1 minute ago, Essan said:

But what, in your opinion, is God's will?

It isn't doing what seems right, it's doing what's actually right.

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It isn't doing what seems right, it's doing what's actually right.

But what is right?

I do agree though that being nice, as I put it, is a good thing and on the basis that life exists to advance life, then protecting and nurturing life, and acquiring and dissipating knowledge amongst more advance life forms, to help the former, seems to be a reasonable rational for the existence of life..

In which case I am not sure that humankind are necessary very good at furthering God's purpose.,  But I doubt we are the only ones who fall by the wayside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Essan said:

But what, in your opinion, is God's will?

It isn't hypothetical. 

It isn't a guess.

It isn't "just in your mind".

It isn't unknowable. 

It isn't religion.

It isn't pretense.

It isn't selfish.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

It isn't hypothetical. 

It isn't a guess.

It isn't "just in your mind".

It isn't unknowable. 

It isn't religion.

It isn't pretense.

It isn't selfish.

But unless you are God - whatever God is - how do you know?  ;) 

• Like 1

But what if God has no will?

And, according to the Bible, all we know is that God was seriously p***ed off when Adam and Eve discovered the difference between right and wrong.  So maybe God's will is for us to remain in total ignorance of what is right?

Edit: indeed, the evidence suggests that we are now incapable of doing God's will since it was originally to do as he said without question, as automatons with no conscience.  

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Essan said:

But unless you are God - whatever God is - how do you know?  ;) 

In my opinion, knowing what's actually true, knowing what's actually right, knowing what God's will is for a person to do, is built in. Fundamental in being human. Natural.

Except for one thing.

In life, we all have to make a great effort to fend off the deleterious effects of this having been made to appear false because of the defamatory statements made by so many over so long a time.

Edited by Will Due

In my opinion, knowing what's actually true, knowing what's actually right, knowing what God's will is for a person to do, is built in. Fundamental in being human. Natural.

Except for one thing.

In life, we all have to make a great effort to fend off the deleterious effects of it having been made to appear false because of the defamatory statements made by so many over so long a time.

So it was always intended for Adam and Eve to eat the apple, since it was only after that they they could know what was right?

42 minutes ago, Will Due said:
1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Now, why would God make his will a pretense to make believe it isn't knowable.

Stubbly, you have a habit of completely misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. 

Am I the only one?

And besides, I'm finding that you're not making it easy for me to understand. When I look at your phrases like this?

What is God's will? It can be pretense to make believe it isn't knowable.

God's will. It can be a pretense. The will being a pretense. The will of God. So, hence, I see God making a pretense from what I read from you. That's why I asked what I asked. 

44 minutes ago, Will Due said:

God doesn't pretend.

People pretend they don't know how he wants them to behave. They pretend they don't know what God's will is for them. They pretend there isn't evidence for God's existence. Etc.

How do you know that? Did you do a poll? Can you show me now, that you have the statistics and such, to show that is what they do? 

46 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Why pretend that?

You tell me. Because I'm having a hard time comprehending why anyone would pretend they don't know what God's will is for them to do.

:wacko:  

But, you're the one saying it, right? 

You: 

Thinking everyone knows absolutely nothing about God might just be whole lot of pretense.

If I'm reading that right, you said they are pretending. So, if you're saying that, then you have reason to believe why you said it? I would think you know, not me, hence I'm asking you! For the love of........................... 

9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Probably, what could be a good learning example here, is that if you want someone to learn, you make it accessible to be learned. Meaning, don't be vague. 

To me, the least vague thing of all is what God's will is for me to do.

It has never been vague. Even when I was a youngster. Even when I was an atheist.

God's will has always been the clearest thing for me to do. Difficult maybe, but not so much anymore. I get tired of ending up standing in the corner for pretending I didn't know what God's will was for me.

Good for you. I'm not arguing that, where you see it. So, if that is the case, you're not telling others to do the same thing?

What's your point of the OP? Is it just passing off experience, or to tell others they should do the same thing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Except for one thing.

In life, we all have to make a great effort to fend off the deleterious effects of this having been made to appear false because of the defamatory statements made by so many over so long a time.

Queen Mary the first of England, thought she was doing was she thought was actually right. I don't think her None Catholic subjects thought so. 

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

So it was always intended for Adam and Eve to eat the apple, since it was only after that they they could know what was right?

The Bible story about Adam and Eve is allegorical in my opinion but based on fact. They always knew the difference between right and wrong. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The Bible story about Adam and Eve is allegorical in my opinion but based on fact. They always knew the difference between right and wrong. 

How could they? God never told him, if he it isn't recorded in the Gospels.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

What's your point of the OP? Is it just passing off experience, or to tell others they should do the same thing? 

Calm down Stubbly. I'm not telling anybody what to do. I may be judgemental in saying people are pretenders but that's what we all do sometimes.

Now go ahead. Tell me I'm pretending. Tell me I'm pretending when I say it's the main thing in life. Determining ourselves without anyone telling us what God's will is. Determining ourselves with all our mind, all our heart, all our abilities, to find it, to discover it ourselves and then go out and do it. Do God's will. 

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Anyone can pretend there isn't evidence for God's existence and that the business of living isn't exactly what the business of a toddler is.

To learn to do their Father's will. 

When a toddler pretends that he cannot learn it, the universe through its father let's it know who's in control.

I'm reporting you for preaching and utter bolloxology. You have no intention or interest in discussing anything, you've gone completely from your initial premise.

What evidence is there for any God? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

What evidence is there for any God? 

What existent evidence are you pretending doesn't exist? Report that.

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Indeed it is allegorical,  About how your God didn;t want humans to know the difference between right and wrong, but still they thwarted it.   I don;t for one moment believe they really ate an apple to find out!   But the truth behind the allegory is significant.  if you believe your God was the God of Genesis.

• Like 1

Just now, Essan said:

Indeed it is allegorical,  About how your God didn;t want humans to know the difference between right and wrong, but still they thwarted it.   I don;t for one moment believe they really ate an apple to find out!   But the truth behind the allegory is significant.  if you believe your God was the God of Genesis.

I'd answer you but danydandan will right me a ticket for speeding. 

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Point and case. 

What existent evidence are you pretending doesn't exist? Report that.

There isn't any.  Thank  God! *   Cos according to the bible he wasn't a very nice chap and had we done his will we'd still be living in caves and doing all sort of nasty things to each other and the world around us, without ever knowing they were wrong.   So the lack of evidence is comforting,

Actually, come to think of it, looking at the world today, maybe God did get it's will after all  :cry:

* not your God.  I mean Thor, who's actually quite a nice bloke when you get to know him, if somewhat prone towards lusting after buxon blonde shield maidens after a drink or ten ;) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Essan said:

I'll say this much. 

Yeah, something significant happened. It had to do with the doing of God's will. And not that Adam and Eve didn't know the difference between right and wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Answer any one of these!

1. What's God? 2. Is there a God? 3. Does God possess a Will? 4. Can God impose that Will? 5. Are God and the Universe a single entity? 6. Do use humans truly have free Will? 7. How or what can be added to or subtracted from it, if it exists? 8. How can we know we are subjected to God's will? 9. From a Christian perspective God created the Universe so did he create himself? 

Questions based on your opening comment.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

There isn't any.  Thank  God! *   Cos according to the bible he wasn't a very nice chap and had we done his will we'd still be living in caves and doing all sort of nasty things to each other and the world around us, without ever knowing they were wrong.   So the lack of evidence is comforting,

Actually, come to think of it, looking at the world today, maybe God did get it's will after all  :cry:

* not your God.  I mean Thor, who's actually quite a nice bloke when you get to know him, if somewhat prone towards lusting after buxon blonde shield maidens after a drink or ten ;) 

I tell you what. Do this.

Go to a Bible search site and enter "nice" and let us know how many times the word nice is in the Bible.

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Answer any one of these!

1. What's God? 2. Is there a God? 3. Does God possess a Will? 4. Can God impose that Will? 5. Are God and the Universe a single entity? 6. Do use humans truly have free Will? 7. How or what can be added to or subtracted from it, if it exists? 8. How can we know we are subjected to God's will? 9. From a Christian perspective God created the Universe so did he create himself? 

Questions based on your opening comment.

You asked "Can God impose that Will?"

No.

But anyone can choose to do God's will.

And when it comes to God's will, that's the only possible imposition. 

Oh, I forgot to say in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I tell you what. Do this.

Go to a Bible search site and enter "nice" and let us know how many times the word nice is in the Bible.

According to this is doesn't appear once! :o  Which, er, isn;t very nice ....

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_word_nice_mentioned_in_the_Bible

• Haha 2

According to this is doesn't appear once! :o  Which, er, isn;t very nice ....

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_word_nice_mentioned_in_the_Bible

Now just for fun, do the same thing here.