Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doing God's will.

Will Due

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

How do you know what God's will is?

When it tells you  :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Yes I noticed this debate in another, now closed, thread. 

if the universe speaks to you, it is like a parent giving advice You have the free  will to agree or disagree, and act as you choose, even knowing that difernt outcomes will result form different choices  and tha the universe is older and wiser than you, and thus  provides better choices :) 

It isn't rocket science. :)

To me it's pretty obvious. :D

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

When it tells you  :) 

Lol. I can hear em already for saying that Mr Walker. 

Edited by Will Due

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

First of all I believe you posted this in the wrong section. I believe it should be in the Religious and Spirituality section if you want to discuss this from a purely Spiritual perspective. But since it's posted in the sceptical section your opening statement leads you to make a number of assumption you can not provide evidence for.

1. What's God? 2. Is there a God? 3. Does God possess a Will? 4. Can God impose that Will? 5. Are God and the Universe a single entity? 6. Do use humans truly have free Will? 7. How or what can be added to or subtracted from it, if it exists? 8. How can we know we are subjected to God's will? 9. From a Christian perspective God created the Universe so did he create himself? 

Now your second post, well I can't answer them questions neither can anyone else. 

I suggest you repost this in the Spiritual and Religious section where sceptically minded people like myself won't question every aspect of your premise. 

The first two questions depend on how a peron defines god 

3 Yes. All self aware beings, by the nature of their minds, possess free will

4. No being can impose it's will on another self aware being.  We all have a choice.

Theoretically a god, like a force of nature, could alter the environment around us,  but it cannot compel  our response to that environment Eg a god could kill us, but not compel us to fear it .

5. No.God is an evolved natural product of the universe .

6, Absolutley There is no mechanism in a human mind which can physically  restrict our abilty to chose an outcome or action, and initiate that action. 

You can draw against the fasted gun in town, knowing you will probably die, but choosing to do so, anyway.  (I am half way through  L ron Hubbard's western collection of stories from the golden age of pulp fiction ) 

7 god or will?. A god evolves and grows over time There is no  change in will once you  become aware you have it 

8.Given tha t we are only subject to god's will when we choose to be,  we will always know when we are,  or are not, doing his wil.l

9. This question takes us back to the first one, and depends on your understanding of god 

A real god cannot pre-exist, or create, the universe  (unless it evolved in an older universe) 

So no, god did not create himself. "He" is a product of his environment

Edited by Mr Walker

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

Thank you.  So, God's will exists in your mind then.  

My mind tells me what my wife's will is, but she doesn't just exist in my mind :) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Well, if the universe is God, and I am a part of the universe, I am a part of God, so that makes my will equal to God's will.

Basically I can't go wrong. And now that I've discovered my own divinity, I need to go make plans for world domination.

All correct, and if you succeed in world domination it was diu to YOUR will (but may require a few other talents as well) :)

There is no difference between a god's will and a human's will, only in our abilty to succeed in  achieving the aims of our will. That depends on knowledge and technology 

6 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Well, if the universe is God, and I am a part of the universe, I am a part of God, so that makes my will equal to God's will.

Basically I can't go wrong. And now that I've discovered my own divinity, I need to go make plans for world domination.

To quote a controversial video game "nothing is true everything is permitted". Those are literally words i live my life by.

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

Yes I agree the vagueness would still be questioned in either section. But in the religious section the premise would be accepted, and soley discussed from a spiritual perspective. I believe in this section my questions would be asked along with requests of objective and tangible evidence to support the initial premise. 

We all know the same thing about God. And that's absolutely nothing.

You wouldn't say that IF you had a personal relationship with god (either physical or faith based )  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

But what, in your opinion, is God's will?

For us to become like him.

Ie as a species, and as individuals,  to be;  loving, spiritual, with ideals of; equality, justice and mercy, empathy, compassion  etc. 

To be able to totally forgive those who do us even the greatest harm.

To see ourselves as one with all of humanity, not  only as an individual.  

To have the abilty to control our biological  , impulses  through self discipline, and use our MINDS, not our emotions,or physiological responses,   to make our decisions

Basically to grow up from children through impetuous, petulant, selfish,  teenagers; to wise and controlled adults.

To learn how to control our primate instincts and use our minds to control our behaviours.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

But what is right?

I do agree though that being nice, as I put it, is a good thing and on the basis that life exists to advance life, then protecting and nurturing life, and acquiring and dissipating knowledge amongst more advance life forms, to help the former, seems to be a reasonable rational for the existence of life..

In which case I am not sure that humankind are necessary very good at furthering God's purpose.,  But I doubt we are the only ones who fall by the wayside. 

Every evolving species goes through the same stages Even god did. That is how IT learned  .  :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

But unless you are God - whatever God is - how do you know?  ;) 

Again, because god lets you know. He lets everyone know although, for some, not as clearly as for others, apparently 

Now as with all my posts in this thread, this is my opinion based on my experiences  Only because i went 23 years without "god" /access to the cosmic consciousness can i believe or understand how hard it is for some people to recognise gods existence in their life

However once your heart and mind is opened to its presence, it's will, will become clear.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

But what if God has no will?

And, according to the Bible, all we know is that God was seriously p***ed off when Adam and Eve discovered the difference between right and wrong.  So maybe God's will is for us to remain in total ignorance of what is right?

Edit: indeed, the evidence suggests that we are now incapable of doing God's will since it was originally to do as he said without question, as automatons with no conscience.  

No.  God told Adam and eve of the consequences of both obedience and disobedience.

This allowed an informed, free- will decision to be made. The y COULD have chosen to obey god, and that choice was always  open to them, until the y acted  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

So it was always intended for Adam and Eve to eat the apple, since it was only after that they they could know what was right?

That doesn't make sense  (and paints god as a very evil being )

They knew right from wrong, and had been told that eating the apple meant their death.

The serpent said this was a lie,  but until then  they had always only known good.

Eating the apple allowed evil into the world.

The y had never sufferered the consequences of evil before, but they KNEW what those consequences would be (just like a little child) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It isn't rocket science. :)

To me it's pretty obvious. :D

Then why is the universe lying to you about having a centre? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

I'm reporting you for preaching and utter bolloxology. You have no intention or interest in discussing anything, you've gone completely from your initial premise.

What evidence is there for any God? 

Will Has compelling and overwhelming evidences. So do i.

So do many others.

The problem is that you do not (and i know from my ealry exerince what that is like)

However i do have to have a little chuckle every time someone claims there are no evidences for god. That really is just nonsense  Millions of people know god and billions have faith in its existence  

Will isn't preaching. He is trying to explain  his own experiences, and why he believes they  can be universal experiences for every human being, I agree with him.  You can disagree and it would be logical for you to do so, until you either encounter god, or choose to open your heart to "him", in faith. THEN his place alongside you, around you, and within you, will become material and substantial (and undeniable) . 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

How could they? God never told him, if he it isn't recorded in the Gospels.

God set rules for behaviour in the garden and SPECIFICALLY told them not to eat the "apple", or they would die That is all in genesis  

4 hours ago, Essan said:

There isn't any.  Thank  God! *   Cos according to the bible he wasn't a very nice chap and had we done his will we'd still be living in caves and doing all sort of nasty things to each other and the world around us, without ever knowing they were wrong.   So the lack of evidence is comforting,

Actually, come to think of it, looking at the world today, maybe God did get it's will after all  :cry:

* not your God.  I mean Thor, who's actually quite a nice bloke when you get to know him, if somewhat prone towards lusting after buxon blonde shield maidens after a drink or ten ;) 

Actually if we had done his will We would be living in edenic conditions without death pain or suffering.We would be slowly growing up learning wisdom and gaining knowledge as our wisdom made us ready for it  The tree of knowledge was there for a purpose but we were told not to eat it because we were still children  (this is a creation myth remember In it humans NEVER were caveman living in caves , we went from protected wards of god  picking fruit from  trees, to farmers 

In this story, God himself said that, given knowledge and immortality,  humans would become as gods themselves (but lacking the accrued wisdom of older beings)Thus  he removed us from eden And the tree of life which conferred immortality on us )  and allowed us to die, so that we would not become powerful god like beings without the wisdom to control our appetites (Oh dear it still didnt work out perfectly  but a t least humanity survives ) :) 

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Then why is the universe lying to you about having a centre? 

The universe cannot lie.

When you were a kid and you heard some things you didn't hear before coming from your mom and dad's bedroom when they were in there together with the door shut, and you asked them later what they were doing in there, and after they told you something, did you immediately say to yourself "That's a lie"?

5 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

And that's all 100% drivel and poppycock, simply gathered from camp fire tall tales back during the true dark ages....... not worth anything it's printed on. 

lol. I said it was a Creation myth.

it was written to explain why humans are as we are (knowing good yet still choosing evil)  and how we transited from a spiritual, edenic existence, as gatherers in the garden( nature) to a knowldge based society of farmers.

it is not drivel It just cannot be seen as history. it actually tells us a lot about human psychology and how we see our place in the world.  its like the Australian aboriginal stories of the dream time, or any other creation stories. It had a very serious purpose 

My point was how genesis paints the role of god, and of humans, INSIDE that creation myth. 

Edited by Mr Walker

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The universe cannot lie.

But your saying that's where you get information that is known to be incorrect, so are you interpreting the universe wrong, or is it lying? 

Has to be o e of the two doesn't it? 

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

When you were a kid and you heard some things you didn't hear before coming from your mom and dad's bedroom when they were in there together with the door shut, and you asked them later what they were doing in there, and after they told you something, did you immediately say to yourself "That's a lie"?

Never happened to me. 

You have a tenancy to lean towards sexual connotations in attempts to get your point across. I have wondered why that is. Can you shed light on that unusual behaviour? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

God set rules for behaviour in the garden and SPECIFICALLY told them not to eat the "apple", or they would die That is all in genesis  

Without letting them know what death was, he was playing a game with them. 

As such, it more seems to support the  notion that God is a complete jerk. 

Oh, goody! Let's analyze Hansel and Gretel, next!

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

But your saying that's where you get information that is known to be incorrect, so are you interpreting the universe wrong, or is it lying? 

Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie :rofl:

I'm getting sea sick.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie :rofl:

I'm getting sea sick.

You just said it can't lie, and now you are saying it is 

Was someone else posting on your behalf last week and before? This is more like what we regularly see in here from you. Nonsense. Joc said he suspected a ghost writer had taken over for you. It does seem rather plausible right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, psyche101 said:

You just said it can't lie, and now you are saying it is 

Was someone else posting on your behalf last week and before? This is more like what we regularly see in here from you. Nonsense. Joc said he suspected a ghost writer had taken over for you. It does seem rather plausible right now. 

I'm talking about you. And everybody else who goes there with the Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie thing. 

Don't you see that it exposes you for having lost your place?

• Confused 1