Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doing God's will.

Will Due

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Typically the atheist/skeptic community just complains about religion but never bombs or kills people over it.

Never heard of an atheist/skeptic suicide bomber or crusade. One of the reasons I sympathize with them more despite not personally being one of them.

Do you understand what I was saying? Apparently not! Hey, the Kentucky Derby is just around the corner! I'm having a mint julep right now, how about you?

2 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I was wondering where you were lurking! Welcome my ferocious predator. Please remember to mind your much appreciated golden rule. Like all wild animals, you should only predate when you are hungry, and not just for pleasure. Otherwise that will make you a human...predating for pleasure. What does the b.s. stand for?

Death and the Golden Rule do not go together.

death-smiles-at-us-all-i-smile-back.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

bullshit-detector.png

Well why don't you just say it like that, rather than have us guess at acronyms. BS can stand for lots of things.

2 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

laughing-lion-cub-260nw-68815711-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Did you see my post #3548?

Did you answer my questions from Post #3512?

1 minute ago, Pettytalk said:

Hey, the Kentucky Derby is just around the corner! I'm having a mint julep right now, how about you?

Okay, this came out of nowhere. :blink:

But anyway, no, I don't support the Kentucky Derby. It's an industry fueled by the inhumane cruelty to horses. 

I'm no vegan PETA person, but I don't support cruelty to animals either.

Death and the Golden Rule do not go together.

My dog has the same expression when I try to take away her tennis ball, but she is just pretending to be fierce. The golden rule is all about dying...read Plato's Phaedo, and you may lose your grin if you will grasp the meaning. But I have to admit that that is a very beautiful wolf, and I see that it also flosses frequently.

Just now, Pettytalk said:

My dog has the same expression when I try to take away her tennis ball, but she is just pretending to be fierce. The golden rule is all about dying...read Plato's Phaedo, and you may lose your grin if you will grasp the meaning. But I have to admit that that is a very beautiful wolf, and I see that it also flosses frequently.

The Golden Rule is not about dying.  What are you smoking?

Let's not derail this thread, unless you are saying Death is part of God's will not life.

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Oh so materialistic. 

What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?

Try and buy it back.

How about you Will, do you have enough money to buy back yours? Reconcile quickly with your adversary, while you are still on the way to the forum. Otherwise he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

20 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Great music! But this musical posting in this area of the forum is what got me suspended before. However music is a great avenue for God to Express his will through. One must understand the music for what it is, though. I rather like the Dobbie's Jesus Is Just Alright, just a tad bit more than this one. And as far as this version, I also favor the authors' version, Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins.

I can listen to contemporary music, but I'm not sold on it. Seems a bit like scoffing cheap beer, when you could sip a fine wine. Even though that line is from the doobies.

I doubt they'll be dedicating buildings to our contemporary/pop music in a few centuries lol. If god exists he must have inspired Mozart. 

Let's not derail this thread, unless you are saying Death is part of God's will not life.

Well did not Jesus say this? My teaching is not My own,” Jesus replied. “It comes from Him who sent Me. 17If anyone desires to do His will, he will know whether My teaching is from God or whether I speak on My own. 18He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory, but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is a man of truth; in Him there is no falsehood.…

Was not his death willed by God, logically speaking from the source? Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him. “For all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53Are you not aware that I can call on My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen this way?”…

You should try smoking by brand.....Socrates/Plato. 

SOCRATES: But surely life according to your view is an awful thing; and indeed I think that Euripides may have been right in saying, ’Who knows if life be not death and death life;’ and that we are very likely dead; I have heard a philosopher say that at this moment we are actually dead, and that the body is our tomb....

Well did not Jesus say this? My teaching is not My own,” Jesus replied. “It comes from Him who sent Me. 17If anyone desires to do His will, he will know whether My teaching is from God or whether I speak on My own. 18He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory, but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is a man of truth; in Him there is no falsehood.…

Was not his death willed by God, logically speaking from the source? Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him. “For all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53Are you not aware that I can call on My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen this way?”…

You should try smoking by brand.....Socrates/Plato. 

SOCRATES: But surely life according to your view is an awful thing; and indeed I think that Euripides may have been right in saying, ’Who knows if life be not death and death life;’ and that we are very likely dead; I have heard a philosopher say that at this moment we are actually dead, and that the body is our tomb....

You're mixing biblical verses with Socrates and Plato, if not mistaken they didn't exactly get along.

9 minutes ago, Horta said:

I can listen to contemporary music, but I'm not sold on it. Seems a bit like scoffing cheap beer, when you could sip a fine wine. Even though that line is from the doobies.

I doubt they'll be dedicating buildings to our contemporary/pop music in a few centuries lol. If god exists he must have inspired Mozart. 

A true child prodigy...a musical genius. I have heard that he could listen to a long composition once and then reproduce it from memory without any omissions. Mozart was definitely inspired by God. He played so well that God took him back much too soon. The Barber of Seville and Don Giovanni are on my list of favorite operas. He was doing God's will, musically.  “The miracle which God let be born in Salzburg” was Leopold’s description of his son, and he was keenly conscious of his duty to God, as he saw it, to draw the miracle to the notice of the world (and incidentally to profit from doing so)

Can we even imagine a world without music?

13 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.

24 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Gee, and I thought the golden rule, as quoted by Confucius, was "Treat others as you would have them treat you". Also co-opted by Jesus as "Do unto others, as you would have done to you".

But Petty apparently resides in a different reality that the rest of us, where joyful want-to -be parents wait at the hospital for newborns to adopt, and all things are solved by a god who walks amongst men.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

You're mixing biblical verses with Socrates and Plato, if not mistaken they didn't exactly get along.

That's where the problem lies.....one cannot truly understand one without the other.

That's where the problem lies.....one cannot truly understand one without the other.

Baloney.

1 minute ago, Horta said:

You are close to the truth......we are all dreaming we are alive, whether butterflies or humans...just dreams.

43 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Okay, this came out of nowhere. :blink:

But anyway, no, I don't support the Kentucky Derby. It's an industry fueled by the inhumane cruelty to horses. 

I'm no vegan PETA person, but I don't support cruelty to animals either.

It's ok to eat them, as they eat us too......In the reincarnation game, with Karma as the law, we all take turns at being someone's else food.

11 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

A true child prodigy...a musical genius. I have heard that he could listen to a long composition once and then reproduce it from memory without any omissions. Mozart was definitely inspired by God. He played so well that God took him back much too soon. The Barber of Seville and Don Giovanni are on my list of favorite operas. He was doing God's will, musically.  “The miracle which God let be born in Salzburg” was Leopold’s description of his son, and he was keenly conscious of his duty to God, as he saw it, to draw the miracle to the notice of the world (and incidentally to profit from doing so)

Can we even imagine a world without music?

I like some of the hymns, not too shabby for an atheist. Some of the more beautiful music I have heard, has had no music, just chanting monks. Hauntingly beautiful, at times some sort of harmonic seems to create an extra sound from somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

It's ok to eat them, as they eat us too......In the reincarnation game, with Karma as the law, we all take turns at being someone's else food.

Now you're mixing Hindu beliefs in.  What's next?  Mein Kampf?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

You are close to the truth......we are all dreaming we are alive, whether butterflies or humans...just dreams.

All that we can ever experience is what is created in our brains, sadly. Truth, even regarding our mundane existence might always elude us. For the same reason, we can only believe what our brains find believable.

2 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

What you consider evidence and what I consider evidence are vastly different it seems.

I think that's what's at the root of our apparent failure to communicate. But not really.

I understand what you're looking for as evidence but I see the evidence as looking for me.

Let me ask you: if a member of the Branch Davidians claimed that David Koresh returned from the dead, but that he only appeared to members of his cult, would you believe their claims?

No.

If members of the WBC made the same claim about Fred Phelps, would you take their testimony as truth?

No.

Why you ask? Because that's my decision. Just like it's my decision to believe what I believe.

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Why you ask? Because that's my decision. Just like it's my decision to believe what I believe.

So why not believe their claims? To me, they are as valid as yours. If you decide to believe something, how does that guarantee that your belief is true?

A flat-earther chooses to believe in their "truth", despite the overwhelming evidence that they are incorrect. What does that say about beliefs, or faith?

Someone once told me that you can't choose what you believe, you believe it because it is true. To you.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that statement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Think he is trying to understand how you discern who or what is believable. The main difference between the options given and jesus, is that at least we know the others are historically real people. Claims are just that, what makes jesus any different?

If you just want to believe for no apparent reason, that's up to you.

• Like 1