Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doing God's will.

Will Due

29 minutes ago, Habitat said:

If you were forcibly injected, no. I see that people who do reckless things, are often excused by those who want to emphasise an impulsive nature being something they were cursed with, or on the other hand, being pilloried for making bad choices they knew were "wrong". These are just  rationalizations, we really don't know what is going on in people's heads to that degree of accuracy.

True.

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

Here's how I think of sin. Btw, the way I think of sin is not in any way connected with religion, belief in God, faith or morality. Especially morality.

Wasn’t sin associated with Christianity? Doesn’t seem like Santa is only associated with Christianity? What other religion, what other way of life uses sin in same context? 

Sin is simply knowing that something is wrong (evil) to do, and with this clear knowledge in mind, go ahead and do it anyway deliberately.

Does sin have a whole patent on that?

• Like 1

I'll try again.

To me knowing what God's will is is mundane. Run of the mill. Ordinary. Unremarkable. Undistinguished. Unexceptional. Average. Humdrum. Commonplace. Nothing to write home about. ;)

Doing God's will, well that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

Well, that doesn’t really tell anybody much. All you’re giving is your own positive review. No explanation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Since you've admitted you don't know for sure

Why keep twisting my words? I know you can read. What's your agenda cormac?

One more time.

I never admitted I don't know. I admitted that sometimes, eventhough knowing God's will is easily accomplished by the feeble minded even, sometimes, I'm not absolutely sure. 

This is the point where faith comes in.

It’s not the word you’re saying. The message is coming across from the lack of words you’re not saying. 

• Like 1

Torture :lol:

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Torture :lol:

:rolleyes: 

For crying out loud, Will, get a grip! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Sorry Stubbly. :rolleyes: Between you and me? There appears to be MAJOR disconnect. :) It's ok. They're just words.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

:sleepy:

The discussion was Will claiming to know God’s will. No one cares about your relationship with your wife. This isn’t about you. 

cormac

It was a pertinent illustration of how Will's relationship with god can leave him uncertain about gods will , yet determined to do it as best he can determine it   Relationships with god often mirror our relationships with others, such as parents or loved ones.  

Even more touchy than normal today, are you? 

Or did i touch a particular nerve?

I tried to use an example most people would be familiar with, so they could see how Will was thinking. If it struck too close to home, I am sorry.   

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

It was a pertinent illustration of how Will's relationship with god can leave him uncertain about gods will , yet determined to do it as best he can determine it   Relationships with god often mirror our relationships with others, such as parents or loved ones.  

Even more touchy than normal today, are you? 

Or did i touch a particular nerve?

I tried to use an example most people would be familiar with, so they could see how Will was thinking. If it struck too close to home, I am sorry.   

I don't care about your examples, the discussion wasn't addressed to you and I for one don't need you to explain Will to me. He can do that all by himself, I hope. If I needed your opinion I'd ask for it, that I don't should tell you something, namely that it's not desired. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, -Nuke- said:

Mr charles(rip) told a group of us that scientists found a genetic defect in the left frontal lobe that doesnt always allow us to tell the difference between long term consequence and instant gratification. More often than not, impulse(caused from that side of the brain) has got me locked up, shot at, and almost all my "friends" are dead and I'm 28. Just yesterday I had a friend over, found him dead this morning. Not sure why I'm in this lifestyle and I'm starting to rant, main point is at the top.

Could be worse, you are still here to talk about it.

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

It’s not the word you’re saying. The message is coming across from the lack of words you’re not saying. 

Day-am, Stubby, and I wasn't going to open the brandy tonight. :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

People kill themselves every day by wrong choices eg to drink and drive , or try a drug, or live below a dam, or go to sea when a storm is forecast, or simply to eat too much and not exercise enough 

The parable of genesis is that man had a choice; god/spirituality or knowledge /materialism.

The story tells us that conditions on earth today are a result of the choice  man kind made. Before that choice there was no death, pain, or suffering.  THAT is how god made the world in this creation myth.

But the bible points out that there is still time to change that choice.

I look at that as a lesson for individuals, and for humanity and our place on this planet, despite it being based on a myth 

Even if you followed the Bible exactly and never made a wrong choice in your whole life, you would still die Mr. Walker.  It’s not wrong choices that kill you....it’s death that kills you.  Yes....you can make a wrong choice and kill yourself.  You can jump off a 12 story building believing that you can fly, and you will kill yourself...but why even say such a thing Mr. Walker?  It’s so plainly obvious it doesn’t need stating.  It’s like saying one must breathe to live.  Yes....we all know that.

But one day you and everyone else will draw their last breath and there is no escaping that fact.  That was my point.  Did you not understand that point to begin with?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Even if you followed the Bible exactly and never made a wrong choice in your whole life, you would still die Mr. Walker.  It’s not wrong choices that kill you....it’s death that kills you.  Yes....you can make a wrong choice and kill yourself.  You can jump off a 12 story building believing that you can fly, and you will kill yourself...but why even say such a thing Mr. Walker?  It’s so plainly obvious it doesn’t need stating.  It’s like saying one must breathe to live.  Yes....we all know that.

But one day you and everyone else will draw their last breath and there is no escaping that fact.  That was my point.  Did you not understand that point to begin with?

Its not the fall that kills you, but the sudden stop, as I understand it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

lol not sure what you are arguing 

In the bible creation myth man was made NOT to die and to live in a paradise with no pain or suffering 

The fact that humans no longer are immortal or live in paradise is explained  in this story  as down to OUR choice not god's (it s a bit like why the earth is currently in the poor state it is now .ALL down to man not god 

Otherwise my point is valid in real life.  Every conscious choice has  a consequence, the probability of which can generally  be predicted by any adult human with a little intelligence and wisdom  

In real life the difference might be between dying  aged 17 from an overdose or an accident caused by drinking  and driving or living to to be 85 with a dozen grand kids. Or the difference between a happy prosperous, fulfilled and  productive life, and one filled with unhappiness, misery, anger, fear etc.  It is all down to the choices we make (plus outside forces of course ) 

In our present era, with current science and technology,  we all die, but it is the manner of our life and death which makes a difference. 

Anyone can jump off a tall building, proving we have free will. However, as you say, we are unlikely to survive it, which is why we invented parachutes. :) 

Sorry, but i don't actually get what your point is The bible is a myth which attempts to explain why humans do not live forever.  However, in real life, our choices inevitably determine how long we live, and how well we live, even if something beyond our control kills us eventually. Most people in the west today  die  too young, of preventable causes.      

Edited by Mr Walker

11 hours ago, Will Due said:
11 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Sorry Stubbly. :rolleyes: Between you and me? There appears to be MAJOR disconnect. :) It's ok. They're just words.

Well, .......... maybe............... ;)   Though, words can do a lot, right? :innocent:  

Anyhow, I think, if ya need me to respond respectively to your ‘interesting’ posts, I would think you would stop the dramatic (and ‘not what you think it is’ ) driveby word shots. ;)  :o  

It gets me :huh:  when you use them (as it looks like to me) to stall answering something that I think really needs answering. Hey! I’m not prettying up the board with my typing, or as I think it’s probably being seen *shrugs*, I ask questions to get someone to better understand their points. Mostly so, when they want you to believe and/or follow what they ‘claim’. 

Or, maybe I’m getting it wrong, and you’re just writing about your experiences, your feelings behind it, with no intent at all. Is that right, Will? :D  Did you start this thread to blog about your feelings? Because, I’m going to just see it that way, and go on with my life (well, I normally would in any case ;) ) believing and not believing what I always have all this time. Your intent is also to celebrate the rest of us, still in our mindsets and beliefs and experiences and still keep them that way, right?  I mean, if it’s just words, as you say, then it’s just words and that’s that. 

I would think, you would accept everyone here to just say after your initial post, ‘Yeah cool for you, but I’m good!” :tu:  

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Day-am, Stubby, 

Hey, I thought I was calling it as I saw it. That’s what I kept thinking. I mean, I feel like screaming, ‘Sweetcheeks! Throw us a bone here!”  Or, I feel it’s misunderstanding Lassie and thinking  we can avoid the well today. 

and I wasn't going to open the brandy tonight. :blink:

Well, Day-am Hammie, send that bottle over here!!! :devil:  

• Haha 1

@Stubbly_Dooright

Sin is just a word. Yes it has religious connotations. When people hear the word 'sin' their minds immediately fill up with preconceptions. Especially religious ones.

Banish all of that if you can. Let's get down to the definition of what sin really is. Especially not in the religious sense.

Knowing something is wrong (evil) and then doing it anyway deliberately, is sin.

That's what sin is. It has nothing to do with religion. 

Edited by Will Due

On 2/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, Will Due said:

I'm sure I know what God's will is. 

I'm also sure I don't do it right sometimes. You? ;)

How do you read someone’s minds who is defend as beyond human understanding? 

I think it is a fair question to ask how could you possibly know what god’s willl is? 

• Thanks 3

On 2/21/2019 at 8:32 PM, Habitat said:

Why does it matter ? He committed crimes and paid the price, maybe they were too slow catching him !

The reason it matters is for us to put forth our arguments we need to be sure we understand each other.  

I want to be clear that you understand how I am defining evil in this context. 

I have established evil, in other words,  it is not vague or ambiguous, correct? 

You understand how I am defining evil, correct? 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, Will Due said:

Ya know, to me knowing what God's will is is rather mundane. Run of the mill. Ordinary. Unremarkable. 

Doing God's will? Well that's another matter entirely. 

Will define God.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

People kill themselves every day by wrong choices eg to drink and drive , or try a drug, or live below a dam, or go to sea when a storm is forecast, or simply to eat too much and not exercise enough 

The parable of genesis is that man had a choice; god/spirituality or knowledge /materialism.

The story tells us that conditions on earth today are a result of the choice  man kind made. Before that choice there was no death, pain, or suffering.  THAT is how god made the world in this creation myth.

But the bible points out that there is still time to change that choice.

I look at that as a lesson for individuals, and for humanity and our place on this planet, despite it being based on a myth 

MW, you are irrational and literal in your thinking. Not intending  to be snarky. 

But let’s look at your interpretation. 

How are  you accounting for genetics, neurobiology, heuristics, maturity,  in the Genesis myth? 

How old were Adam and Eve, what was their  educational background, how do  you supoort that they had impulse control, or the nessecary understanding required to make informed decisions? I 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Will Due said:

@Stubbly_Dooright

Sin is just a word. Yes it has religious connotations. When people hear the word 'sin' their minds immediately fill up with preconceptions. Especially religious ones.

Banish all of that if you can. Let's get down to the definition of what sin really is. Especially not in the religious sense.

Knowing something is wrong (evil) and then doing it anyway deliberately, is sin.

That's what sin is. It has nothing to do with religion. 

Well, according to Dictionary.com it does 

transgression of divine law:the sin of Adam.
any act regarded as such transgression, especially willful or deliberate violation of some religiousor moral principle.
any reprehensible or regrettableaction, behavior, lapse, etc.; greatfault or offense:

Well, mostly it. ;)

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

how could you possibly know what god’s willl is? 

Because he writes it within the mind.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Will define God.

Think of all things true, all things beautiful, and all things good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

iThe reason it matters is for us to put forth our arguments we need to be sure we understand each other.  

I want to be clear that you understand how I am defining evil in this context. 

I have established evil, in other words,  it is not vague or ambiguous, correct? 

You understand how I am defining evil, correct? 

You are picking examples of what you consider "evil", it is a label you use when someone crosses a threshold you have drawn in your mind. You think evil is something that defines itself, I say it is something humans define, and differs widely between people. Every impulse that resides in humans, resides in all. It is just a matter of how strongly they arise, and how good our "brakes" are. Those impulses are the only things that stand between us and being a "vegetable", the ability to mediate and channel those impulses, the only thing that stands between us and lunacy or criminality. In some, the mix goes awry, permanently, in some people, mind altering substances causes the balance to be lost, and crimes occur, that would otherwise not have. It is as true to say we are "lucky" to be blessed with a mental constitution, less troubled by unruly impulses, as we are to be "good" people.