Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IF we found life on Europa

Sir Wearer of Hats

Apparently NASA is sending a mission to Europa to look for life. This got me wondering, we always consider the impact of aliens turning up on the Whitehouse lawn and saying “take us to your leaders” (for example). Aliens arriving here on Earth, or at the very least a signal from space.

What do you think the reaction to the discovery of living microbes or alien fish would be? Non-sentient life on another very nearby world?

• Like 1

It would have tremendous impact. It would prove that life on Earth is not unique, but a universal normal.

It would not prove that intelligent life is normal though. Far from. But it would suggest that intelligent life "many places" is likely.

• Like 6

Microbes or fish would be one of those things that is reported as "This changes everything", that changes nothing.  The British would probably send an expedition to set up a chip shop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

What do you think the reaction to the discovery of living microbes or alien fish would be? Non-sentient life on another very nearby world?

That would depend.  Of Kim Kardassian posted a nude photo on instagram the same day, then I doubt many would even notice ....

But seriously, I don;t think it would change much.  These days most intelligent people assume/expect there to be simple life, at least. on other worlds.

• Like 3

Just now, Essan said:

That would depend.  Of Kim Kardassian posted a nude photo on instagram the same day, then I doubt many would even notice ....

But seriously, I don;t think it would change much.  These days most intelligent people assume/expect there to be simple life, at least. on other worlds.

Expecting something is different to knowing something, but I think Jonesy is right. 

• Like 1

The important question is....if they were to discover aquatic alien life and were to find some way to transport it back here...who would volunteer to eat it first?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Essan said:

I'm afraid that you are right. People are too absorbed with their own lives to appreciate new profound scientific facts. Even if they go from probability to proof.

Nothing short of a nuclear war or an alien invasion would make them look away from their smartphones. It's a sad world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think it would be a boost for Space exploration missions financed by private Corporations.  If there's life, there could be an opportunity for settlements for explorers to drill precious metals and minerals, although living conditions may be different from what we're used to on Earth and would have to be adaptable to suit our living standards, but once the floodgates are open who knows what we could find out there.

Well ?? Do I have to pack my luggage or not ?

~

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Apparently NASA is sending a mission to Europa to look for life. This got me wondering, we always consider the impact of aliens turning up on the Whitehouse lawn and saying “take us to your leaders” (for example). Aliens arriving here on Earth, or at the very least a signal from space.

I think its a huge and faulty assumption to just believe other animals arent sentient. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I think its a huge and faulty assumption to just believe other animals arent sentient. 

Dear Nicolette, I’m yet to be convinced most humans are sentient.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I think it would be a boost for Space exploration missions financed by private Corporations.  If there's life, there could be an opportunity for settlements for explorers to drill precious metals and minerals, although living conditions may be different from what we're used to on Earth and would have to be adaptable to suit our living standards, but once the floodgates are open who knows what we could find out there.

International treaties forbid this from ever happening. 

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

For once we agree on something

• Like 2

You got that right Sir Wearer of the HATS,  Just got to Wal-Mart the first of the month and the proof will be there.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think treaties or no,people will go after it.  I don't think the current America First state of mind would be bound by treaties.  There would be too much at stake. Other countries would follow suit.  Governments would try to study in order to weaponize organisms. The very rich would vie to be the first to have a Europa Biome Aquarium.  It would probably be the envy-generating centerpiece at a future Davos Conference.  Does that seem too cynical?

On 2/7/2019 at 3:14 AM, Emma_Acid said:

International treaties forbid this from ever happening. 

That will end up changing.. once the first mining expedition gets off.. be it luna or the kuiper belt.. the various nations around the earth will drop those treaties like they were hot potatoes..  or will just ignore them.. its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask permission.. 

My answer to the OP:

It would not surprise me at all...but I'm still concerned about the possibility of Earthlings contaminating an alien ecosystem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Erno86 said:

My answer to the OP:

It would not surprise me at all...but I'm still concerned about the possibility of Earthlings contaminating an alien ecosystem.

Which is my worry as well, how will they be able to say “this bacteria we found was from Europa, anf not a fart one of the engineers made too close to the equipment”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do believe that somewhere out in the vast universe is other life ranging from single cells to beings who make us look single cell,

Coming closer to home, In our galaxy single cell is possible and water dwelling creatures "fish" as you called them might exist but no, its not really going to be too life changing for most,  it really has no reason to be so its not in my mind a fault of people being too absorbed in their own personal lives.

Sure, if aliens came here and landed on the whitehouse or Kremlin etc lawn that would be very life changing whether a person personally cared or not.

The technology for expeditions to go check it in person is a long way off and cost vs benifit is a huge factor in such endeavors, 

Its way too short sighted for me too assume any living organism is non-sentient, how do i know if a turnip feels being cut, or with deeper emotions or conscience, i still wont judge it gets down philosophy for me and ill leave that there.

B

I'm hopeful that some sort of biological life lives under Europa's ice sheet. Even though Europa's waters could be quite chilly...the ice sheet will insulate the water from being frozen; including possible volcanic vent warming --- suitable for some form of life --- both vertebrates and invertebrates. I'm leaning towards at least some form of jellyfish that roam Europa's sea for food.:mellow:

16 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS – EXCEPT EUROPA.
ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two

My first thought when i saw this thread

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

My first thought when i saw this thread

It was my thought AS I WAS POSTING the thread!

I am sure we will chase resources before we chase life, as resources have a known immediate value, that can then maybe fund other areas such as accessing life (should we find it).

At risk of making this thread veer off on a tangent, this is one of the few areas that I feel modifying humans is of value. If we can modify our DNA to better endure space travel, or enviornmental conditions on other planets then I am all for it, as long term for Humans to survive I believe we need to move beyond earth. I freely admit to not knowing enough about the science behind this to understand if we can modify an adult or if this needs to be done at sperm and egg stage. Depending on this it has very different implications, as an adult can consent to the risks, and there will be risks in the early stages.