Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colorado runner kills cougar in self-defence

Still Waters

A man running on a popular park trail in the mountains of northern Colorado killed a mountain lion after it pounced on him from behind.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officials say the man sustained serious injuries after he was bitten on his face and wrist by the young male lion.

The man, who has not been named, turned after hearing a noise behind him, just as the lion lunged, officials say.

The cat died from suffocation, state wildlife officials have determined.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47136308

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

An unidentified man is recovering in a Fort Collins-area hospital after he killed a mountain lion in self-defense after the animal attacked him Monday afternoon at Horsetooth Mountain Park.

The man was running alone on the park's West Ridge Trail when he was attacked from behind, according to an initial Colorado Parks and Wildlife release. The animal was later identified as a juvenile mountain lion, possibly weighing about 80 pounds or more.

Full report at the Coloradoan: https://eu.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/02/04/wild-cat-attacks-trail-runner-horsetooth-mountain-park-west-fort-collins-colorado/2773622002/

The Daily Mail version: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-6670347/Trail-runner-fights-kills-mountain-lion-Colorado.html

Has anybody seen Piney?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Suffocation?  Daaamn...  He STRANGLED a Cougar?  :nw:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My guess is he had the cougar in a headlock and kept squeezing until it died.

What do you think @Piney

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hawken said:

My guess is he had the cougar in a headlock and kept squeezing until it died.

What do you think @Piney

That seems to be the case, but he was lucky it was a juvenile. He wouldn't of pulled it off if it was a adult.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Has anybody seen Piney?

I've been working in a ghetto flower shop all week. Makiing rose vases. :o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I do not recommend trying to strangel them they have the right to be in bars too even if cougars do hunt and prey on young men ;-)

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I've been working in a ghetto flower shop all week. Makiing rose vases. :o

'Tis the season, I guess.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Impedancer said:

I do not recommend trying to strangel them they have the right to be in bars too even if cougats do hunt and prey on young men ;-)

I thought about that but was just too impressed that the guy was able to keep the cat from killing him.  I guess 80lbs is pretty small and for it to have jumped him at all, it must have been hungry.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I guess 80lbs is pretty small and for it to have jumped him at all, it must have been hungry.

I was thinking that factor might of weakened it.

Humans smell like **** and are the crappiest meat so it was really hungry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It was probably striking out on it's own for the first time and was desperately hungry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If only we had photographs of the wounds this guy must of sustained.  You know that this big kitty must have fought back, fiercely.

It amazes me that most of these cats are located where there's the least amount of deer to eat.

I wish we had a few more on the East Coast to curb the coyote population.  

• Like 3

I reckon he was a poacher and caught it in a snare.You would be lucky to strangle a decent size feral cat to death.Don't believe you Tarzan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They have been sighted on trail cam in Midwestern states like IL, MO and IA. Nobody knows for sure how they got there.

Some think the Dept. of Natural Resources quietly released them there to help control the deer population.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 5:38 AM, Raptor Witness said:

If only we had photographs of the wounds this guy must of sustained.

If you follow this link and scroll down you can click on his story and see his wounds... https://news.sky.com/us

I can't link directly to anything "graphic".

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

If you follow this link and scroll down you can click on his story and see his wounds... https://news.sky.com/us

I can't link directly to anything "graphic".

Yes, I saw on TV.

Apparently, a starving cub. It’s aad for both, but the human story is a worthy triumph.

Trying to imagine a saber toothed cub, and what if .... the Mega-fauna is reborn with genetic help. 

I want the first dire wolf, please ....

• Like 1

On 05/02/2019 at 11:53 PM, Piney said:

Humans smell like **** and are the crappiest meat so it was really hungry. 

You speak for yourself Bro, I smell great and am a culinary delight for any big cat.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

You speak for yourself Bro, I smell great and am a culinary delight for any big cat.

Especially those 2 legged Cougars.:lol:

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Especially those 2 legged Cougars.:lol:

Why the laughing emoji... :lol:.. I am being serious..... I am a right catch for a big cats. A splash of my Hai Karate After Shave and my god like body, meat and gravy on a plate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Warning Note:Don't tell this one at Church. ||| DANGEROUS Times eh?!?!JOKE SHARE>Had to add, Jack Steel, a friend, walks in park, woman & dog coming his way, he takes the other way around a tree from them, Lady says "oh he's a nice dog"  Jack replies "I wasn't worried about the dog."

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Why the laughing emoji... :lol:.. I am being serious..... I am a right catch for a big cats. A splash of my Hai Karate After Shave and my god like body, meat and gravy on a plate. 

Best watch out for those ABCs you have over there.... you spend a lot of time on the moors :lol:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

Best watch out for those ABCs you have over there.... you spend a lot of time on the moors :lol:

I do spend many hours on the moors, its not just the ABC's I have to worry about, the female hikers are all over me..

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I do spend many hours on the moors, its not just the ABC's I have to worry about, the female hikers are all over me..

And I don't doubt it!

Take a hot guy with your background, add adorable dogs..... women magnet :yes::D question.... have you taught your wife anything that might get you hurt? :lol: