Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
TrumanB

Gary McKinnon

199 posts in this topic

TrumanB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_McKinnon#Statements_to_the_media

Gary McKinnon (born 10 February 1966) is a Scottish[1] systems administrator and hacker who was accused in 2002 of perpetrating the "biggest military computer hack of all time

McKinnon has admitted in many public statements that he obtained unauthorised access to computer systems in the United States including those mentioned in the United States indictment. He states his motivation, drawn from a statement made before the Washington Press Club on 9 May 2001 by "The Disclosure Project", was to find evidence of UFOs, antigravity technology, and the suppression of "free energy", all of which he states to have proven through his actions.[35][36]

In an interview televised on the BBC's Click programme,[37] McKinnon stated that he was able to get into the military's networks simply by using a Perl script that searched for blank passwords; in other words his report suggests that there were computers on these networks with the default passwords active.

This guy must have been brilliant if he was able to break into military computers. What do you think about his story? Did he really see documents on UFOs and such stuff?

Dejarma
5 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

What do you think about his story? Did he really see documents on UFOs and such stuff?

no

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TrumanB

What makes you think so?

• Like 1

Piney
53 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

This guy must have been brilliant if he was able to break into military computers. What do you think about his story? Did he really see documents on UFOs and such stuff?

Nope, I don't believe a word of it. I think he got into a basic system and all he saw was schedules, civie employee info and rolls. 

• Thanks 1

Dejarma
21 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nope, I don't believe a word of it. I think he got into a basic system and all he saw was schedules, civie employee info and rolls. 

yep

• Like 2

TrumanB

I'm wondering then...what was his motive to lie...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
7 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

Attention, and he lives in a fantasy world. . 

What he did was dangerous and he should of went to prison, Aspergers or not. 

• Like 1

John n b
9 hours ago, Piney said:

Attention, and he lives in a fantasy world. . 

What he did was dangerous and he should of went to prison, Aspergers or not. 

How do you know he lives in a fantasy world, do you know him ?.

Piney
9 minutes ago, John n b said:

Aspergers, they all do. I raised 1 boy and had numerous students with it. 

John n b

Asperger's varies from person to person.

John n b

Sceptics are always banging on about proof, yet when anyone provides some proof they look for some excuse to dismiss it, who do you actually want to hear it from that we are being visited by ETs .

• Thanks 1

Robotic Jew

He wasn't brilliant. He was able to log onto computers that had blank passwords. It was more a failure in security than some genius hack.

As far as him finding evidence of UFO's and the like...I don't believe it. Seems like just another crackpot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Essan
41 minutes ago, John n b said:

Sceptics are always banging on about proof, yet when anyone provides some proof they look for some excuse to dismiss it, who do you actually want to hear it from that we are being visited by ETs .

The ETs ;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stereologist
1 hour ago, John n b said:

The secrets are not online. Having worked for the government I can tell you that none of the secret systems I worked on were connected to the internet - none. May not be true everywhere but that was out situation. Hard to hack if not connected to anything outside.

Non-secret information is online such as phone listings, email, payroll, etc.

Another issue is passwords. This involved blank passwords. Systems enforce passwords such as 14 or more characters. Two each of upper, lower, digit, and special character might be required. No words may be embedded. No more than 3 characters in a row of the user name may be used in the password. And there are other rules as well. Whatever system he got on was a basic system without password rules. 

So some crackpot got on a computer more likely a FOUO system, for official use only (not fever of unknown origin). That system would not be allowed to have secret information on it. You can't put a security level on it that the machine is not allowed to have. Is he believable? Not at all.

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Rlyeh
2 hours ago, John n b said:

Free energy is a myth.

• Like 2

toast

McKinnon didnt provided a proof, he provided nothing but a claim. So whats your point?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Rlyeh

You've yet to provide any.  Come on, you can't accuse some one of dismissing something you haven't presented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rlyeh

He also looks like Richard Ramirez.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

skliss

I would think your whole plan would revolve around collecting evidence, not just viewing it, therefore it's odd he wasn't prepared to do that the second he gained access. 

• Like 2

Dejarma
1 hour ago, toast said:

McKinnon didnt provided a proof, he provided nothing but a claim. So whats your point?

yep, someone has to do it so thanks.. saves me typing out the bleeding obvious ;) 

• Like 3

John n b
4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

You've yet to provide any.  Come on, you can't accuse some one of dismissing something you haven't presented.

I haven't got any proof that we are being visited be ETs, and you haven't got any proof that were not, are you another one that walks around with their head pointing to the ground.

John n b
5 hours ago, Essan said:

The ETs ;)  

That may happen, a long way into the future.

John n b
4 hours ago, toast said:

I never said mcKinnon provided proof, I was talking generally about you sceptics dismissing everything that's presented to you.

Emma_Acid
18 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Not an argument

• Like 1

Emma_Acid
30 minutes ago, John n b said:

I never said mcKinnon provided proof, I was talking generally about you sceptics dismissing everything that's presented to you.

To paraphrase a great man, anything that can be presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

All we're doing is asking for a better standard of argument.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1