Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anecdotes and Anecdotal Evidence.

danydandan

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You're not " Donnie Brasco " are you ? That was the big-time, and as history shows, they "turned" more than enough of them to get numerous convictions, code of silence my ass ! 

I want to read personal anecdotes.

Another thing that is proving very successful at gaining convictions in unsolved cold cases, is govt offering substantial $ reward for information leading to successful prosecution, this has seen a rash of old cases re-opened, and a number of convictions in my area, some cases over 40 years old. It might give relatives some comfort, but one is uneasy about public money going to such people. They'll give them up if the gain seems a good risk, considering the threat of reprisals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Another thing that is proving very successful at gaining convictions in unsolved cold cases, is govt offering substantial $ reward for information leading to successful prosecution, this has seen a rash of old cases re-opened, and a number of convictions in my area, some cases over 40 years old. It might give relatives some comfort, but one is uneasy about public money going to such people. They'll give them up if the gain seems a good risk, considering the threat of reprisals.

That also has to do with DNA advancements.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I want to read personal anecdotes.

You can want what you like, I have known a number of police officers in my time, and more than one has told me they depend heavily on public co-operation, and it is largely forthcoming, in the general community, gang-ridden ghettos may play different. Police informants within criminal circles, too, are a staple of investigations. Many a crim has also gone down from evidence supplied by another crim, in jail, or a holding cell. They sing, if they get a leave pass, or shorter sentence !

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Believes what? 

That there's such a thing as absolute perfection to achieve. 

Edited by Will Due

Just now, Will Due said:

That there's such a thing as absolute perfection. 

I never said I believe or don’t believe that, again it’s people trying to place words or label when I will not do so 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

You can want what you like, I have known a number of police officers in my time, and more than one has told me they depend heavily on public co-operation, and it is largely forthcoming, in the general community, gang-ridden ghettos may play different. Police informants within criminal circles, too, are a staple of investigations. Many a crim has also gone down from evidence supplied by another crim, in jail, or a holding cell. They sing, if they get a leave pass, or shorter sentence !

The suburban petty criminal and dope fiend will rat each other out in a millisecond.

I was mistaking "crim" for gang member. Not a plain old criminal.  My mistake

10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Many a crim has also gone down from evidence supplied by another crim

Minor nitpick - but is it really necessary to abbreviate the word "criminal" ? What did 4 more letters do to you? I mean, I'm pretty sure the word "crim" isn't a thing. :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I never said I believe 

I know.

You asked me: "Believes what?" So I answered.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think it's possible to achieve perfection (sub-absolute) as a human being in this world?

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Minor nitpick - but is it really necessary to abbreviate the word "criminal" ? What did 4 more letters do to you? I mean, I'm pretty sure the word "crim" isn't a thing. :lol:

Common contraction in this country, possibly less so elsewhere. Australia was settled by convicts, you know, I don't have any in the pedigree that I know if, others are proud of it !

Just now, Will Due said:

Do you think it's possible to achieve perfection (sub-absolute) as a human being in this world?

I know you're asking someone else, but given we had the same answer: No, because perfection doesn't exist. It's a human construct. It's like achieving the gold medal for cosmic space race in a fartmobile. You can't achieve anything that doesn't exist.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Common contraction in this country, possibly less so elsewhere. Australia was settled by convicts, you know, I don't have any in the pedigree that I know if, others are proud of it !

It is? If so then I've never heard it. :lol:

Just thought it seemed an odd word to shorten regardless.

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I know you're asking someone else

But you thought you'd butt in with a fart anyway?

Maybe it's your construct of perfection.

Edited by Will Due

Just now, Aquila King said:

It is? If so then I've never heard it. :lol:

Just thought it seemed an odd word to shorten regardless.

Yeah, it is like an example of a slang word having currency in one area, but not another, I wouldn't say it was used profusely, but is not uncommon either, here. And invariably, derogatory.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

But you thought you'd butt in with a fart anyway?

Maybe it's your construct of perfection.

Well, my farts are pretty perfect. :whistle:

I should know, I construct them. :P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Could be that it's just a human construct that there's no such thing as absolute perfection. Nothing to work towards.

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I know.

You asked me: "Believes what?" So I answered.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think it's possible to achieve perfection (sub-absolute) as a human being in this world?

I don’t believe perfect is possible for the reason I stated, we all define it differently. 

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Partly wrong South Australia was NOT a convict state, it was for families to live in. 

A fact I like to point out considering how much SA gets crapped on. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

That also has to do with DNA advancements.

That has snared more than a few. Another boost is electronic fingerprint databases, where previously it was incredibly laborious, to get a match, manually, and especially from far away jurisdictions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

I don’t believe perfect is possible for the reason I stated, we all define it differently. 

Partly wrong South Australia was NOT a convict state, it was for families to live in. 

A fact I like to point out considering how much SA gets crapped on. 

The only such state, but in the original European settlement of the continent, it was just convicts and their keepers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Could be that it's just a human construct that there's no such thing as absolute perfection. Nothing to work towards.

Working towards something that doesn't exist and is therefore unattainable is the ultimate way to set yourself up for perpetual failure.

Striving for perfection destines you to fail.

There's no reason why you can't set realistic goals that actually can be achieved without striving towards a non-existent human construct.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That has snared more than a few. Another boost is electronic fingerprint databases, where previously it was incredibly laborious, to get a match, manually, and especially from far away jurisdictions.

They incorporated the criminal database with DMV and personal records here. Now when you run somebody's DL it even tells you their credit history.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Alright. Given your definition of what living perfectly as a human being is, can that possibly be achieved?

Just now, Piney said:

They incorporated the criminal database with DMV and personal records here. Now when you run somebody's DL it even tells you their credit history.  :lol:

A good thing, that people don't slip through because of admin limitations before computerization,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What's wrong with just working to be better rather than setting standards that are unrealistic? 

It's not a perfect world. Nor a perfect universe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Striving for perfection destines you to fail.

You're absolutely right. I agree. 

Progressing instead of striving then.

Small steps. Easy does it. Go with the flow?

• Thanks 1