Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anecdotes and Anecdotal Evidence.

danydandan

3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

It is? If so then I've never heard it. :lol:

Just thought it seemed an odd word to shorten regardless.

hab is right.  It is a comon Australian  abbreviation although i thought it was originally an Americanism from  tv crime shows  Certainly been in colloquial use all of my life  eg Matlock and Homicide TV shows 

Harness racing drivers have sometimes been called "crims on rims", by bettors suspicious of the integrity of races.

3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Working towards something that doesn't exist and is therefore unattainable is the ultimate way to set yourself up for perpetual failure.

Striving for perfection destines you to fail.

There's no reason why you can't set realistic goals that actually can be achieved without striving towards a non-existent human construct.

Depends on how you define failure 

Think of an archer. 

They aim for perfection, with  every shot in the centre of the bull. 

They may never achieve that but, in  the trying, the hours of practice and honing of skills,  the y achieve incredible marksmanship. say 95-99% in the bull

It is like any skill.

Aim for perfection, and you can come close.

Set your goals lower and, no matter how well you do, you  will only achieve a percentage of what you  aim for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

Think of an archer. 

They may never achieve that but, in  the trying, the hours of practice and honing of skills,  the y achieve incredible marksmanship. say 95-99% in the bull

It is like any skill.

Set your goals lower and, no matter how well you do, you  will only achieve a percentage of what you  aim for.

It still comes down to your idea of perfection is going to be different to others. 

Which is basically what he’s saying. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guyver said:

Yes.  Existence could be as a lucid dream....as we could imagine it.  Maybe that’s where the ideas of heaven come from.  Lucid dreams are amazing.  I’ve heard Astro projection is superior, but I’ve never had it.  I mean, I did have it one time, I was a child, I got scared and didn’t go with it.  I willed myself back to my body.  Man I wish I had the clankers then..  I would love to have ridden that one out.  I was half way to the moon in about ten seconds.

Wonderful isn't it? I am sorry you got scared and returned.  I took it gradually and had been building up to "space travel" for years  before i got up the courage to leave earth while  projecting 

Real or imagined, it is an incredible experience to take a close up tour of our solar system, and then head out into the galaxy. Flying through the rings of Saturn and over the geysers of Enceladus rates with sitting on top of the great pyramid and watching the sun come up.    

9 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

It still comes down to your idea of perfection is going to be different to others. 

Which is basically what he’s saying. 

I am a pedant :) 

Perfect means complete, with,no room for improvement ie " the  technique was perfected by......." 

or "it was a perfect example of Limoges china " 

I agree that humans will always be imperfect, because we are always growing, evolving, and improving.   

Still a worthy goal to aim for. You might still die imperfect, but you will be better for the effort.  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Still a worthy goal to aim for. You might still die imperfect, but you will be better for the effort.  

It’s not worth aiming for, it’s some that will never be achieved. 

It’s like the people who become obsessed with plastic surgery, because they get the idea in their head that perfect is achievable. 

I dont aim for what others deem perfect, I aim for for what I see as my personal best. 

In the mind of some I’ll never be the perfect wife to be/wife and mom, but in my partners eyes I try to be the best I can be. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

It’s like the people who become obsessed with plastic surgery, because they get the idea in their head that perfect is achievable. 

I dont aim for what others deem perfect, I aim for for what I see as my personal best. 

In the mind of some I’ll never be the perfect wife to be/wife and mom, but in my partners eyes I try to be the best I can be. 

It is ALWAYS worth aiming for, and is  the only way any human can achieve a personal best in anything in life. If you don't aim high you will never reach any heights. 

Just realise you don't have to worry about falling short, only about never trying, or never improving.  

Ah, the judgement of others . Don't give a fig for them :) The only person qualified to judge you is yourself and you  need to be  honest, but fair,  when  you judge yourself . 

Hopefully your partner knows, loves, and understands you, for who you are, but even there, your own judgement is all that counts. You have to be who you want to be, not who anyone else expects you to be.  

12 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

It is ALWAYS worth aiming for, and is  the only way any human can achieve a personal best in anything in life. If you don't aim high you will never reach any heights. 

Just realise you don't have to worry about falling short, only about never trying, or never improving.  

Ah, the judgement of others . Don't give a fig for them :) The only person qualified to judge you is yourself and you  need to be  honest, but fair,  when  you judge yourself . 

Hopefully your partner knows, loves, and understands you, for who you are, but even there, your own judgement is all that counts. You have to be who you want to be, not who anyone else expects you to be.  

It’s not worth aiming for. 

My partner is clearly marrying me for a reason, seeing as he asked before we found out about baby. 

I dont be who others tell tell me I need to be or should be. 

I don’t live my life for others. 

Everyone has their own idea of what others should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

It’s not worth aiming for. 

My partner is clearly marrying me for a reason, seeing as he asked before we found out about baby. 

Good on ya :) 

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

Weren't you a pilot in the military ? (apologies if I am confusing you with anyone else)

Nope not me.

Seems to me such jobs would be gone in a world where kids are prevented being hurt by deliberate human actions.

Sounds awesome, don't you agree?  I'm not too distraught over the loss of employment for butter churners and candle makers that has already occurred, people find other things to do.

Then I suppose we could get a child get  hold of an assault rifle and go on a killing spree, but nope, we can't hurt him ! Once you start going down this track, it just keeps going, till every human action grinds to a halt.

I'm a little confused there, not sure which track we are going down unless you're just trying to find more specific exceptions to an abuse-less reality.  I thought I used the word 'abuse', I didn't prohibit self-defense, and again we seem to already have more than enough human actions we can already take, removing a few doesn't grind that to a halt.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I am a pedant :) 

Just curious, oh font of definitions most true, is there much of a difference between pedantry and anal retentiveness? :) 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Guyver said:

Eh....sorry....not convinced.  Not convinced Jesus actually came in the flesh the way the bible says.  I mean, if the bible is to believed, then it’s words should be reliable.  If what the bible actually says actually worked, that would be amazing.  For example, Jesus told believers that the same works he did, they would do.  He never said, they would do it for a while then it would die out with the last apostle.  Jesus was able to heal all manner of sickness and disease, according to the bible, healed all the sick in places, raised the dead, and walked on water.

Christians can’t do any of that.  If they could walk into the children’s hospital and heal every sick child instantly, like the bible says they could.....then everyone would believe.  But it doesn’t happen now, and there’s no good reason to believe it ever happened because the only record of the Bible is the bible itself.  It’s been edited so many times, and there’s reason to believe that the originals were destroyed by the Romans, and what we have now was mostly given by the elders who survived the persecution by memory.

According to what was written about him, Jesus the man had a preexistence. He is the Creator.

His presence (God's presence incarnate) in the world back then afforded a unique situation for the creative prerogatives of God to do many unprecedented things.

But Jesus, in so doing, was still a human being just like all of us. And he live by faith the same way we can.

This faith of his he spoke of, that unless it was genuine, nothing would happen. Nothing of supreme importance anyway. Like healing the sick. Like healing ourselves. Biologically and spiritually. 

Here's what he said about it:

“But when you pray, you exercise so little faith. Genuine faith will remove mountains of material difficulty which may chance to lie in the path of soul expansion and spiritual progress.”

Link

11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Think of an archer. 

It is like any skill.

The toilet paper I wiped my ass with a second ago is worth more to me than your opinion here dude. You're the last person anyone should be taking advice from.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

Bingo. That right there is the only way to truly live. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

The toilet paper I wiped my ass with a second ago is worth more to me than your opinion here dude. You're the last person anyone should be taking advice from.

Your loss. You might never be as good looking as me, but you could  still be as happy, loved, respected,  and successful :) 

No one likes being corrected or educated by another,  but a lot of people  require quite a bit of  both. 

On what data do you base that entirely subjective opinion ?

Oh wait a minute. It's because you believe I lie  about myself.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Your loss. You might never be as good looking as me, but you could  still be as happy, loved, respected,  and successful :) 

No one likes being corrected or educated by another,  but a lot of people  require quite a bit of  both. 

On what data do you base that entirely subjective opinion ?

Oh wait a minute. It's because you believe I lie  about myself.

What in the Hell kind of over-inflated ego does someone have to have to actually post something like that?... :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Just curious, oh font of definitions most true, is there much of a difference between pedantry and anal retentiveness? :) 

You ought to know already. 

Pedant probably has its roots in  the latin pedagogue   or the italian, literally for school master, especially a dull or formal one  (ironic uh?) :) 

anal retentiveness, while  both anatomically and etymologically unconnected, might be  brought to mind by the word pederasty which, while it looks a bit the same, as pedantry  actually has greek roots. 

A pedant and an anal retentive might both, frustrate and annoy others. But a pedant has a legitimate function of correcting the errors of others. An anal retentive is generally just annoying. I am sure i am seen by some as both, but while i am proud to wear the label of pedant,  I am not truly anal retentive, I just like to correct things.     

Edited by Mr Walker

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

What in the Hell kind of over-inflated ego does someone have to have to actually post something like that?... :blink:

Oh quite a good one, plus a sense of humour, and total unconcern for your opinions .

You started the personal  garbage.

(I mean, really , You think i am going to get upset with toilet humour and being compared unfavourably to  your toilet paper. That might work with an insecure personality but  as a teacher of adolescents for 45 years it  is merely amusing  )  And i am in a good mood, having awoken at 4 am in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed,   with nothing else to do until it gets light :)  

Edited by Mr Walker

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

Oh quite a good one, plus a sense of humour, and total unconcern for your opinions . You started the personal  garbage. And i am in a good mood, having awoken at 4 am in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed,   with nothing else to do until it gets light :)  

If you don't want people to "get personal" with you, then don't go around trying to "educate" people on here in the most condescending way possible despite being so blatantly obviously full of s**t.

The majority of this community is completely against you for a reason, you know. If you constantly act like a irritating condescending narcissistic a-hole, people are naturally gonna get fed up with it and respond in kind.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

If you don't want people to "get personal" with you, then don't go around trying to "educate" people on here in the most condescending way possible despite being so blatantly obviously full of s**t.

The majority of this community is completely against you for a reason, you know. If you constantly act like a irritating condescending narcissistic a-hole, people are naturally gonna get fed up with it and respond in kind.

There is no excuse to revert to personal attacks just because you don't like either my content or style.

Dont try and blame me for your bad temper.

if you find me irritating that goes to your own personality as much as my own. Only you can control/modify  your feelings and responses. It is not my job to keep you calm,  happy, and unchallenged   

I know some people don't like my posts.

That is because they tend to be of a group which does not   agree with what i write That is more than understandable , but instead of trying to debate content, they go straight to trying to  discredit me by personal  comments.

That it is not only "bad form", it demonstrates the weakness of their arguments, and of their own characters   

No matter how much  others are   annoying to me, and how dangerous i consider some of their ideas to be,  I only ever respond in kind to make a point.   I don't feel the sort of raw emotion some people seem to generate in themselves when their ideas or beliefs are challenged. Having a go at what you hold dear is NOT having a go at you as a person, just the idea.  

Ive been "educating"  people, whether they like it or not, for 65 years.

I am unlikely to stop trying to do so until i die or get Alzheimers.

It is the responsibility of all humans to do their best to educate others, and in doing so, help them enjoy better lives in every respect.   

If you dont want to be "educated" ie learn new things, then   you have many options, but  trying to get me to shut up is not a viable one. 

Edited by Mr Walker

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

There is no excuse to revert to personal attacks just because you don't like either my content or style.

Dont try and blame me for your bad temper.

I know some people don't like my posts.

That is because they tend to be of a group which does not   agree with what i write That is more than understandable , but instead of trying to debate content, they go straight to trying to  discredit me by personal  comments.

That it is not only "bad form", it demonstrates the weakness of their arguments, and of their own characters   

No matter how much  others are   annoying to me, and how dangerous i consider some of their ideas to be,  I only ever respond in kind to make a point.   I don't feel the sort of raw emotion some people seem to generate in themselves when their ideas or beliefs are challenged. Having a go at what you hold dear is NOT having a go at you as a person, just the idea.  

I just tend to be brutally honest by nature. I simply tell you what I think and what I feel. No filter. Can't really turn it off, that's just who I am. If I think you're acting like an arrogant prick, imma tell ya that. Plain and simple.

Most of the regulars on here know full well that I'm more than capable of responding to a person's arguments, and dissecting it point-by-point. I've done that numerous times. 

I just at the same time, know not to waste my time and energy doing so with someone who doesn't actually care about exchanging ideas with other posters as equals, and instead simply wishes to "educate" everyone here who you essentially view as below you.

What you perceive as me "getting personal" is really just me pointing out the real root of the problem here. Namely, your overblown ego. There's little point addressing your arguments when your problem isn't your arguments, it's your completely obvious character flaws.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ive been "educating"  people, whether they like it or not, for 65 years.

I am unlikely to stop trying to do so until i die or get Alzheimers.

It is the responsibility of all humans to do their best to educate others, and in doing so, help them enjoy better lives in every respect.   

If you dont want to be "educated" ie learn new things, then   you have many options, but  trying to get me to shut up is not a viable one. 

First off - if you have something to add like this, just quote me again. Cause I'm likely to miss it if you just edit it on afterwards.

Now to actually address this...

I've explained this to you before, but being "educated" by someone is to consider the educator the superior with greater credentials than the person being educated. That's not how forums like this work. You can definately learn things from other people by exchanging ideas, but none of us "educate" one another, because we view each other as equals. I don't seek to "educate" anyone here, I simply seek to share my viewpoints, which hopefully others can take something away from, and others are free to share their views that I can hopefully take something away from.

You on the other hand are acting as some high and mighty know-it-all who's trying to educate us lowly uneducated peasants. I'm not against learning new things, I'm against some random jackass on the internet thinking they have all the answers and that everyone should listen to all their great wisdom. 

And lastly, no, I'm not trying to shut you up. I'm simply trying to get you to see how your high and mighty attitude is what's ruining just about everything you go say.

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

I just tend to be brutally honest by nature. I simply tell you what I think and what I feel. No filter. Can't really turn it off, that's just who I am. If I think you're acting like an arrogant prick, imma tell ya that. Plain and simple.

Most of the regulars on here know full well that I'm more than capable of responding to a person's arguments, and dissecting it point-by-point. I've done that numerous times. 

I just at the same time, know not to waste my time and energy doing so with someone who doesn't actually care about exchanging ideas with other posters as equals, and instead simply wishes to "educate" everyone here who you essentially view as below you.

What you perceive as me "getting personal" is really just me pointing out the real root of the problem here. Namely, your overblown ego. There's little point addressing your arguments when your problem isn't your arguments, it's your completely obvious character flaws.

ok i can respect that. My brother is much the same

Oh i don't ONLY want to educate i came here to BE educated but unfortunately  there aren't many posters with genuine experiences who can stand the heat generated .  Its my "inflated" ego and sense of self worth  (and my sense of humour) which keeps me here.

I view no one as below me It is interesting how I generate that perception I tactfully see all humans as inherently equal and only differentiated by how they live their lives.

I appreciate my own good fortune in life, but also know how hard ive worked to be who I am .  

i dont actually have an overblown ego, just a strong and healthy one I must admit to sometimes "stirring the pot " on this because it is such a silly and funny  belief about me.

I have flaws weaknesses and areas where  I lack dills and knowledge I don't argue in those areas  But ive spent 65 years consciously building, expanding, and strengthening as many skills and as much knowledge as i can, so that i can give more to others.   I see no need to apologise for that or the resulting person i have become.

So you believe that my "character flaws"  negate  my opinions.  Interesting opinion.  I will admit that when teaching adolescents it was important to be entertaining but the entertainment only facilitated the learning. I hadn't realised that some adults require similar engagement. ie they wont listen to a person they don't like. One would hope that  adults had grown out of that  attitude       

Ps i care deeply.  Education serves an important   purpose (i am biased on this)  A person is empowered and skilled by everything they learn, from  how to speak through how to use a wrench  or fix an electrical circuit, to  becoming a professional like a doctor The more educated a person is the more personally empowered they are and the more things they can offer to a community (but a good hair dresser, and especially a plumber)  has as much value as a good doctor  

First and foremost i have always been an educator only because i loved people and wanted to help them. There was never a day when i did not want to go to work.  

13 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

I think you don't need Mw's advice, you are just fine on your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1